BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #23
CrustyNoodle
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

I've always owned and driven manual cars for the last 25 years and this car is the first self shifter I've actually bought. I must say a regular slush box auto would never have got a look in, nor would it in the future however this DCT box is very very good. Driven in manual mode 100% of the time I really don't miss the left pedal at all.

I'd say that if you want the car to be the ultimate track machine then the DCT is the only choice. If on the other hand you like to go for country drives on twisty roads and like to get totally engaged with the car then you may prefer the manual. But as I said, I certainly don't miss the left pedal.

Y'know, what I really like about the DCT is that I can accelerate flat out up to say 60km/hr and get in 2 or 3 shifts before backing off to avoid speeding tickets. I get all the enjoyment of acceleration, quick shifts and sound effects in a super condensed time all without breaking the speed limit - you can't do that in a manual (at least not like you can with a DCT).