BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
bmwboyi8
Perfectionist!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 118D M Sport Coupe

Second Gear

Anyone find second gear to be really 'snatchy' i.e. you feel your not in control of the car? I always tend to find this when I turn in somewhere. It seems like the driver has to do an awful lot of work with the clutch! When you gently ease your foot off the clutch the car almost leaps forward uncontrollably! I also found this when waiting in a queue of traffic on the motorway in second. The car idles along quite quickly which pretty much forces you to change up to first so you feel your actually in control of the car again! Interested to hear your thoughts on this.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Not quite sure what you mean by 'not in control of the car' but I do agree that the change from 1st to 2nd can be quite jerky unless you do it very gently. Also, idling in 2nd is usually too fast for traffic jams. I usually go to first if I'm crawling.

I always rev-match or heel toe when I need to drop to second gear for a corner, so I can pop the clutch and still don't feel the 'leap' forward.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
bmwboyi8
Perfectionist!
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry I don't mean the change from 1st to 2nd but instead when you are changing down to second just before you turn into a junction for example. When you are controlling the cars speed with the clutch then release/depress the clutch, the car seems to leap forward. I agree the car idles too quickly in traffic so I do the same and drop down into 1st.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr7489 View Post
Sorry I don't mean the change from 1st to 2nd but instead when you are changing down to second just before you turn into a junction for example. When you are controlling the cars speed with the clutch then release/depress the clutch, the car seems to leap forward. I agree the car idles too quickly in traffic so I do the same and drop down into 1st.
Yep I get what you're saying now. Again, I always revmatch my down shifts so I don't get any leaping motion. Clutch in, blip the throttle as I slot the lever into 2nd, clutch out. Smooth as silk.

I think the 1er's clutch is very 'snatchy' if you don't revmatch the shift and try to just slowly release the clutch pedal. I never do it that way.

As for controlling the car's speed with the clutch? I don't ride the clutch, all I use it for is to change between gears. So not sure about that.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr7489 View Post
nr7489,

Sounds to me like you need to remove the CDV (clutch delay valve). I did mine after only a month of ownership and the gear changes are much better - changing down from 3-2 and especially up from 1st to 2nd.

Mad.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
bmwboyi8
Perfectionist!
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Mad. I will take your advice on board!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I did the CDV, installing a Riss Racing one, but there isn't a great change from 1st to 2nd, but there is 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th at high speed, high rev, fast changes.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
I did the CDV, installing a Riss Racing one, but there isn't a great change from 1st to 2nd, but there is 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th at high speed, high rev, fast changes.
Moff,

Agreed, but the improvements are definitely there, but certainly more noticeable going up/down other gears as you suggest. I did also notice a slight improvement after my 17,000 mile brake/clutch fluid change (@ 2 yrs), so either I got a few air bubbles in the system from the install (unlikely as I used professional hose clamps) or more likely due to the fluid absorbing moisture over 2 years of ownership.

Mad.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad chemist View Post
nr7489,

Sounds to me like you need to remove the CDV (clutch delay valve). I did mine after only a month of ownership and the gear changes are much better - changing down from 3-2 and especially up from 1st to 2nd.

Mad.
Right the CDV, completely forgot about that part since I had it replaced with a non-restrictive one 3 weeks into ownership.

Sorry about that OP, madchemist is right. Get that thing replaced and see how it goes

Anyway, I see you have a 118d. You must be loving the fuel economy!

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Hi nr7481,

YuP! Sounds like classic CDV. Do the delete and you won't regret it! I did the delete and LOVE the way the 1st/2nd gear change now feels. MUCH better now. Its how the car should have come delievered to us perfomance people.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Hi nr7481,

YuP! Sounds like classic CDV. Do the delete and you won't regret it! I did the delete and LOVE the way the 1st/2nd gear change now feels. MUCH better now. Its how the car should have come delievered to us perfomance people.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #12
bmwboyi8
Perfectionist!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Right the CDV, completely forgot about that part since I had it replaced with a non-restrictive one 3 weeks into ownership.

Sorry about that OP, madchemist is right. Get that thing replaced and see how it goes

Anyway, I see you have a 118d. You must be loving the fuel economy!
That's one of the main reasons I bought the 118d and the very cheap road tax! Absolutely loving it!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
Lopster
Petrol Power!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 125i MSport, SGM/Coral, AT

Is there also a bit of a diesel factor coming in here? I.e. Very torqu-ey engine tends to quite eager in 2nd, i used to manage to not use the throttle in traffic at all in my diesel.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #14
bmwboyi8
Perfectionist!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopster View Post
Is there also a bit of a diesel factor coming in here? I.e. Very torqu-ey engine tends to quite eager in 2nd, i used to manage to not use the throttle in traffic at all in my diesel.
I'm glad you mentioned that because I was starting to think along the exact same line! I think that definitely has an effect on the idling speed.
      12-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
nads
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118d '57

OMG! I thought it was just me as i've driven automatic cars for the last few years and thought I just had to get used to it, but I bought a 118d manual 4 months ago and have the same problem. Is removing the CDV a simple job?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nads View Post
OMG! I thought it was just me as i've driven automatic cars for the last few years and thought I just had to get used to it, but I bought a 118d manual 4 months ago and have the same problem. Is removing the CDV a simple job?
It is if you have a pair of hose-clamps so you don't loose any brake/clutch fluid.

Here you go:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209440

Good luck.

Mad.
Appreciate 0