BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Does your N55/DCT 135i have issues with stalling, rough idling, jerkiness in 1st gear
No - Latest dealership software 58 41.73%
No - Previous version dealership software 16 11.51%
No - Aftermarket software / tune 9 6.47%
Yes - Latest dealership software 27 19.42%
Yes - Previous version dealership software 24 17.27%
Yes - Aftermarket software / tune 5 3.60%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

04-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #23
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovef View Post
I have not had any issues at all. There is a bit of turbo lag starting off but that is to be expected. I would think that most people don't have issues. If most people had these issues it would be in the news as it is unsafe. I know some people have issues but you have to remember the huge degree of selection bias you will see in a post on here.
I've had an 11 manual 335, a 13 x5 35x auto and a 13 135 dct, there is little to no noticeable turbo lag what you're experiencing is the transmission hesitation. I get it way worse in the x5 but also in the 135 and haven't spent much time with the 135 yet but it seems bearable, the sport button, and manual mode seems to all but eliminate it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #24
trainerjon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcoja View Post
My service adviser quoted me 200 dollars. I'm just going to do it, because I can't stand the hesitation anymore.
Thanks Andrew, much appreciated. I'm going to have to do this as well. it is unbearable and such a disappointment.
'11 135i M-Sport DCT, M3 RSFB, PPK, CP, BMS intake, Agency Power Axle Back, VRSF 5.5" FMIC, FSB, M3/M1 Front + Rear Control Arms, Ground Control Coilovers, Ground Control Camber Plates, E92 M3 Front Seats, VMR 701's Squared 255's, E92 M3 Steering Rack - Daily Driven, Occasionally Tracked - 157k miles <SOLD> >2021 HS M2C Manual
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 04:10 PM   #25
trainerjon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My SA just took the car out with a technician and they were able to duplicate the problem with the AC on. My ECU software is verified old from 2011 and they quoted me $276 to upgrade the software and I reluctantly agreed. I asked/told them that my copy of windows has updates/patches/bug fixes and they are free, why doesn't BMW provide this as part of the car. It doesn't seem right to me. Just another way to get fleeced!

Do you guys agree or am I off base?
'11 135i M-Sport DCT, M3 RSFB, PPK, CP, BMS intake, Agency Power Axle Back, VRSF 5.5" FMIC, FSB, M3/M1 Front + Rear Control Arms, Ground Control Coilovers, Ground Control Camber Plates, E92 M3 Front Seats, VMR 701's Squared 255's, E92 M3 Steering Rack - Daily Driven, Occasionally Tracked - 157k miles <SOLD> >2021 HS M2C Manual
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #26
Rob Daman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

I agree with you. I had to call BMW corporate to complain.

At least you were able to duplicate it. You could try calling Corporate and see if you can get some goodwill. Sometimes it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainerjon View Post
My SA just took the car out with a technician and they were able to duplicate the problem with the AC on. My ECU software is verified old from 2011 and they quoted me $276 to upgrade the software and I reluctantly agreed. I asked/told them that my copy of windows has updates/patches/bug fixes and they are free, why doesn't BMW provide this as part of the car. It doesn't seem right to me. Just another way to get fleeced!

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #27
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Quote:

Call Bmw USA and claim a safety issue, it actually is anyway. I talked to an s.a. today also and he recommended I take it to service but I didn't have time, I'm going first thing in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #28
trainerjon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

An update - I took my car in for the software update and the SA just called and said it had all been updated yet the car still exhibited some of the same symptoms while test driving. They tested the intake / exhaust / vacuum lines for any leaks, and all checks out perfectly. The engine is not misfiring, this ONLY happens while coming to a stop with the AC on. Anyone have any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 11:54 PM   #29
Rob Daman
Captain
Rep

which symptons? all of them or just specific one?

did they flash both the dme and tcu?

I just told the service advisor that both 'brains' be updated.

Quote:
An update - I took my car in for the software update and the SA just called and said it had all been updated yet the car still exhibited some of the same symptoms while test driving. They tested the intake / exhaust / vacuum lines for any leaks, and all checks out perfectly. The engine is not misfiring, this ONLY happens while coming to a stop with the AC on. Anyone have any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #30
trainerjon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Daman View Post
which symptons? all of them or just specific one?

did they flash both the dme and tcu?

I just told the service advisor that both 'brains' be updated.
I'm fairly certain they did both brains although I will double check today when I pick the car up. Right now they are saying that the update helped a little, but it is still idling rough when slowing to a stop. The SA is blaming my exhaust due to less back pressure which I find to be a load of $HIT. But, I could be wrong. I plugged the exhaust vacuum line when I installed the Agency Power HPE so there's no vacuum issues
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #31
Rob Daman
Captain
Rep

We have the same year and I had all the issues that others complained about. I had to call BMW Corporate because the dealer couldn't replicate the issue. The stalling was what really concerned me as well as the surging when coming to a stop.

It's been a week since I picked it up and I haven't noticed any of that. The idle has been steady as well.

One thing that the dealer told me when I tried to get it fixed under the service bulletin was that my car didn't meet that SIB due to having a Bosch computer. Perhaps they need to load a slightly different update, who knows.

I don't think it's your exhaust vacuum line. I swapped in an axle back and actually broke the end of mine and it's just dangling there with no plug or anything. Zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #32
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

I went in to the dealer today to see if they would update the transmission software. They checked and said it had the latest software available. I still get some lag when going below 5 mph, I guess I'll just live with it. At least they didn't charge me anything. I got to drive an X3 for the day which made me love my 1er even more.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #33
trainerjon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I got the car back on Friday and they actually did a very thorough set of tests and inspections. They have recognized there is an issue, although they are still unsure of exactly what that issue is. I have assured them that the exhaust is not the problem since it was having the issues before the PE was installed.
The tech raised the idle when the AC is on which seems to be helping the car not want to stall while coming to a stop. I did feel a bit of a kick when it was pretty hot out coming to a stop, but not nearly as bad as before. Also, the updates have made the entire system work better. The car is driving really nice... until you turn the AC on and come to a stop. So, I'm waiting for a possible code to get thrown and take it in right away.
I still see a huge safety issue here since the car is kicking. I don't feel comfortable with my preg wife driving the car and it is very unsettling. I nearly took out my garage cabinets coming into the garage the other night - massive kick coming to a stop!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #34
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

I'm kind of worried about this now. My car has done this once. Came to a stop and then jerked forward. I always have the AC off because it's usually decent out. I'm worried what will happen in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #35
trainerjon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

quick update -
I spoke with BMW NA 4 times in the past week. Each time they went through the case with me and all the details except the last time. The last time we spoke they had a chance to speak with my SA and his boss and they concluded that my car is having the problems it is since I put a cold air intake and PE on it. Really weak and i'm super disappointed in this response from them. The car was having the issues before I put the mods on and the 2 little mods have zero to do with the problems I'm having.
just thought I would keep you guys updated. I shouldn't have sold my OEM Exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #36
AZ135i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

I've had my car in once already for this. They said they have had several cars in for the same issue and have complaints filed with corporate to get a solution. My SA told me to call him in a month and see if there was an update. My car has all the updated software atm too. One of the service guys had it jump forward on him and it scared the crap out of him. I don't see how this isn't a big safety issue. Car drives perfectly normal without AC on. As soon as car is up to temp with ac on its like trying to stop a bucking bull at stop lights and stop signs.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #37
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

I need to call BMW and get an appointment set. I voted Yes, previous version because I'm pretty damn sure the update wasn't done before I bought the car with 26K on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #38
AZ135i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

I spoke with a guy today that had the same issue on the facebook page. he said its a DME issue and once he had it replaced his issues all went away. The jerking as you stop, the crazy idle issues, almost or stalling issues all with the ac on. I am taking my car in tomorrow or wednesday. if they do the work on my car and fix the culprit i will give you all the info you will need to take your cars in for repair.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 06:57 AM   #39
Chill Hill
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ135i View Post
I spoke with a guy today that had the same issue on the facebook page. he said its a DME issue and once he had it replaced his issues all went away. The jerking as you stop, the crazy idle issues, almost or stalling issues all with the ac on. I am taking my car in tomorrow or wednesday. if they do the work on my car and fix the culprit i will give you all the info you will need to take your cars in for repair.
I'm having the surging issues as well. With the A/C turned on, mine will surge quite often, it will rarely surge with A/C off. Did you ever figure out if the DME helped fix the issue?

- be a lot cooler if you did..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #40
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I have a 2011 DCT and the last time my software was updated was in 2011 when PPK1 was installed. Had no problems before or after, with or without a/c on. Don't know if no problems after is because PPK1 was installed. Some people say PPK eliminates some of those problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #41
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Forgot to mention I have specifically told the dealer NOT to update my software since then to avoid any such problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #42
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

I had the update done a few months ago. It seemed better at the time. Shifting is much more reliable but still some low speed lag while the DCT figures out what to do. I have noticed since the update and ppk1 install that my car will run up on idle when I first stop with the AC on. Goes from around 650-700 rpm to around 1000 to 1100 for a few seconds. AC off it doesn't seem to occur. I'm going in for other service on Weds and I'll ask if this is the norm. It wasn't there before the 12-12 update and ppk1.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:16 PM   #43
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

What a mess. This makes me not want to get a 135i with DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 03:09 AM   #44
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dub View Post
What a mess. This makes me not want to get a 135i with DCT
Throttle lag, idle fluctuation and lurching forward. Some cars with the DCT have these issues, others don't. Test drive a car you are interested in and check for these problems. If the car doesn't have them, then you're ok. If it does, then decide if you want to purchase the car and address these things. This thread has some info that will help you:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1033690
Appreciate 0