BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Flash(Cobb) + meth

Did onyone try flash tune like Cobb\Evolve etc. with meth?
I found the BMS kit for the flash cars, but it doesn't have the tank.
So is this okay to add this kit to the Cobb st.2+ map? just to reduce detonation and cool the egine.
If I will add the trunk tank, how I gonna check the meth level?
Will this kit be safety? On the site is written: "Just keep in mind on the tuning end there is no failsafe/flash integration so stay a bit conservative on the mapping side and you should be fine."
And the last wuestion - Will it cool that good, that there is no need in oil cooler?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

The kit you linked uses the windshield washer fluid tank as the source, no additional tank is needed. If you want to run a trunk mounted tank, that's fine too; To monitor tank level you'll need the sensor for it, something like this http://www.coolingmist.com/pagedispl...ure_key=safety

It's available from many different sources, and can be wired to either a warning light and/or into a standalone progressive controller.

Adding it and running the standard st.2+ map is fine, since that map was designed to be run on just pump gas. You probably won't see a significant bump in performance but it'll be easier on the engine due to the cooling properties of the water/meth.

The WW kit in itself is safe, the warning is really for how aggressive of a tune you run; For more aggressive tunes with a significant meth concentration, it's also treating the injection as a fuel supplement and runs more boost and timing than what is possible on pump gas alone. Should the meth run out or the system fail for any reason, with a flash tune there isn't safety integration to prevent engine damage. That's where the piggyback tunes shine in that a flow sensor can be wired to them; they'll automatically scale back boost and timing to safe levels if there is a lack of flow.

Our cars are already equipped with an oil cooler, and a supplemental water cooler. No point in removing them.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snertz View Post
The kit you linked uses the windshield washer fluid tank as the source, no additional tank is needed. If you want to run a trunk mounted tank, that's fine too; To monitor tank level you'll need the sensor for it, something like this http://www.coolingmist.com/pagedispl...ure_key=safety

It's available from many different sources, and can be wired to either a warning light and/or into a standalone progressive controller.

Adding it and running the standard st.2+ map is fine, since that map was designed to be run on just pump gas. You probably won't see a significant bump in performance but it'll be easier on the engine due to the cooling properties of the water/meth.

The WW kit in itself is safe, the warning is really for how aggressive of a tune you run; For more aggressive tunes with a significant meth concentration, it's also treating the injection as a fuel supplement and runs more boost and timing than what is possible on pump gas alone. Should the meth run out or the system fail for any reason, with a flash tune there isn't safety integration to prevent engine damage. That's where the piggyback tunes shine in that a flow sensor can be wired to them; they'll automatically scale back boost and timing to safe levels if there is a lack of flow.

Our cars are already equipped with an oil cooler, and a supplemental water cooler. No point in removing them.
Tnx!
I think that the best way is to go with Aquamist HPS-4 kit, right?
the protuningfreaks use it with the cobb and they have a e-Tune meth map for the Cobb, so it is the best way to have a map for the meth + one of the best meth kits, am I right?
or it is better just to stay with st.2? I'm looking for a reliable and safety tune for my car...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Stage 3 B5 S4, C5 Z06

We have multiple 1M's utilizing our Race file with water-methanol injection. It is not a problem and something that we actually recommend for high boost cars due to IAT's.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Edogg218
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC View Post
We have multiple 1M's utilizing our Race file with water-methanol injection. It is not a problem and something that we actually recommend for high boost cars due to IAT's.
I have the GIAC Stage II on my 135 with the different profiles and hand-held switcher. Which methanol system do you recommend to run the race file? Should I run 50/50 meth and water?
      03-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Stage 3 B5 S4, C5 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edogg218 View Post
I have the GIAC Stage II on my 135 with the different profiles and hand-held switcher. Which methanol system do you recommend to run the race file? Should I run 50/50 meth and water?
50/50 is a good mixture, and I recommend CoolingMist or Snow Performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Take a look at Devil's own products as well, I run their stage 2 progressive kit on my WRX with great results. I don't / will not run meth on my 1M as I will not be tuning on higher octane. If you're just looking for additional safety you can always just run 100% distilled water and a stage 2 map.

If you ARE going to tune on meth in your 1M I highly recommend some sort of mechanical fail safe. Something that physically sits in the meth line and monitors water flow with the ability to pull the waste gates when out of operating range. Anything at the ECU level or electronically sampled is probably going to react too slowly to prevent damage. Motors on this car are expensive, don't blow it up.

AEM makes a product that should do the trick, here is a PDF on it.
Appreciate 0