BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-12-2012, 04:07 AM   #1
kazin
Private
Rep
Drives: a

Any Android users having difficulty with BT?

I'm currently using a Galaxy S2 (from iphone) and I'm having a lot of trouble getting the Bluetooth system to work without any hitches. I came from an mk6 GTI and the BT system in that was flawless for both the android and the iphone.

However in the 1M about 60% of the time I have to go into voice command --> BT Audio to get my android playing music.

I would say about 20% of the time I get into the car, turn it on and when I go into my BT options my phone will automatically start playing music. Which I assume is working as intended.

The rest of the time the BT will force me to disconnect and re-pair my phone then go through voice command to get it to start playing music.

Even when it plays I would say that for a vast majority of the time I will start getting static/skipping in the music. Usually pausing it/reconnecting etc will fix this but it comes back pretty often.

I have yet to try my ipod/iphone but I have the cable for it so I don't think I'm too worried about that.

Has anyone else experienced these hitches? Is there a BT update somewhere or are there noted problems with android devices? The phone function usually works without a hitch. This isn't a dealbreaker by any means but I love to listen to my music while I drive and fiddling with my phone everytime I get in the car is getting tiresome, it's especially baffling that the system in the much cheaper GTI is so much better.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
tritonx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 128i, '92 325is

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
1992 325is  [0.00]
1994 318is  [0.00]
If your problem is only with the music, it could be simpler to copy all of it on a USB key and plug it in.
      02-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Perhaps go to www.bmw.com/update and upload an updated supported phone database to your car? See if that helps.
      02-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
kazin
Private
Rep
Drives: a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritonx View Post
If your problem is only with the music, it could be simpler to copy all of it on a USB key and plug it in.
I would but I use my phone as my main music player so it's a lot more convenient for me to just have one thing to update with my new music every few days. Plus it doesn't really solve the problem..

I will try the software update though, hopefully that'll help.

Has anybody else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

My iPhone 3Gs seems to have a tendency to 'forget' the pairing w/ the car every few days, especially if I haven't used it for a day or more.

While the car seems to remember the pairing fine the phone does not and forces me to re-pair. This is particularly annoying if I'm on the road and have to find the phone.

We've had no issues with the GF's 4s so I'm assuming that it's a glitch with the old phone.

If you didn't have issues with your VW, it might be a compatibility issue w/ the BMW system and you may need to update the software as someone suggested.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0