BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Shadow Edition

BMW Performance Air Intake Installation

Does anyone have a pdf or link to step by step directions?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Here's the official instructions. From what I remember it skips a step early on, but it's pretty obvious. Like it doesn't mention removing the stock air box or something, and then all of a sudden you're putting it back together.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Perf. Intake System.pdf (1.33 MB, 1101 views)
      09-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
So this uses the stock air filter box? It would then still be a PITA to change filters, am I correct? so getting the Euro version of the perf intake and euro airbox would be beneficial for efficiency purposes, correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Shadow Edition

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez
So this uses the stock air filter box? It would then still be a PITA to change filters, am I correct? so getting the Euro version of the perf intake and euro airbox would be beneficial for efficiency purposes, correct?
Yes it reuses the stock air box & changing filters is still a PITA.
      10-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
Which would be exactly what I did.

I would prioritize the euro box over the performance intake. Neither gains power, euro box gains practicality, performance intake gains a bit of sound.
      10-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Here's the official instructions. From what I remember it skips a step early on, but it's pretty obvious. Like it doesn't mention removing the stock air box or something, and then all of a sudden you're putting it back together.
The instructions you posted clearly show a new air box, Item G in the parts list, and installation part 1 of step 2 is "Disconnect negative pole of battery" and part 2 of step 2 is "The following must be removed first of all. Remove the intake filter housing."

Part 10 of step 3 (page 7) describes the installation of the new air box.

I wouldn't be surprised if the air box covers for the US performance and the Euro air box were interchangeable.

You re-use the old rear section of the housing and it still looks like you have to split the housings to change the filter. Stupid.

Last edited by Suprgnat; 10-02-2013 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
The instructions you posted clearly show a new air box, Item G in the parts list, and installation part 1 of step 2 is "Disconnect negative pole of battery" and part 2 of step 2 is "The following must be removed first of all. Remove the intake filter housing."

Part 10 of step 3 (page 7) describes the installation of the new air box.

I wouldn't be surprised if the air box covers for the US performance and the Euro air box were interchangeable.

You re-use the old rear section of the housing and it still looks like you have to split the housings to change the filter. Stupid.
I guess you're right. It's been almost 3 years since I did the install - I just remember thinking there was some step that was left out.
      10-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Which would be exactly what I did.

I would prioritize the euro box over the performance intake. Neither gains power, euro box gains practicality, performance intake gains a bit of sound.
Awesome. Wish I lived closer to PA than I do now so I can see your monster machine. I mean I'm only 7-8 hours away. haha. Thanks for the input. I'm in the search for a eurobox for cheaper than what ecs sells them for.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome. Wish I lived closer to PA than I do now so I can see your monster machine. I mean I'm only 7-8 hours away. haha. Thanks for the input. I'm in the search for a eurobox for cheaper than what ecs sells them for.
Yeah it's hard. I was part searching Sweden to Argentina. In the end I just bought the ECS version. It's an OEM part instead of OE, so probably will have some sort of failure, but there really wasn't another option. Shipping from Sweden was just idiotic.

Free to come down to PA if you want.
      10-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Yeah it's hard. I was part searching Sweden to Argentina. In the end I just bought the ECS version. It's an OEM part instead of OE, so probably will have some sort of failure, but there really wasn't another option. Shipping from Sweden was just idiotic.

Free to come down to PA if you want.
Damn. Yeah some of the shipping is kind of ridiculous. Is the one that ECS sells not OE? I think they have a genuine Euro BMW airbox now.

And I might be heading to NYC in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll stop by. We'll see. haha (For Canadian Thanksgiving week. I think you guys have Columbus day?)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Damn. Yeah some of the shipping is kind of ridiculous. Is the one that ECS sells not OE? I think they have a genuine Euro BMW airbox now.

And I might be heading to NYC in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll stop by. We'll see. haha (For Canadian Thanksgiving week. I think you guys have Columbus day?)
ECS loves to sell "Genuine Euro BMW" and swap in OEM parts at the last minute. I've had a couple circular telephone calls with them about various products. In the end, take it or leave it, but know what you are getting.

Columbus day isn't really a holiday in the states. Weekends would be the safe bet for a meetup, or late evenings.