BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Where to find OEM backing plates for brake pads?

I'm looking to swap in different discs/pads for track days. While removing the pads for analysis (calipers still look great, OEM pads, many hard autocrosses on them), I noticed the metal backing plate on the pads is either glued or melted fast to the brake pad. I tried prying it off from all angles, and this started to damage it so I gave up for the time being.

Is there anywhere I can get replacement backing plates only, without the pads? The aftermarket pads (Hawk HP+) did not come with any, but they are clearanced for them, as evident when lining them up next to the OEM pads.

What does everyone else do if they want to re-use the OEM plates on different pads?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Try titanium shims instead. They will reduce the heat transfer better than the stock plates
      04-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
Try titanium shims instead. They will reduce the heat transfer better than the stock plates
Yes, I actually have them, but they don't correct the fitment issue I'm referencing. The stock plates wrap around the edges of the pads (front to rear) making them a nice snug fit inside the calipers. The TiAl plates do not wrap.
The HP+ pads have the extra room for this bit of wrapping around the edges. Until I'm confident it's not a shear stress which is cracking the ceramic piston caps, I'm not comfortable mounting a loose pad, especially for a track event where high-heat might contribute to the issue.

This is why I'm looking for the OEM backing plates. I have a sneaking suspicion these aren't gonna be available other than on a new set of pads, but hoping maybe somebody knows better...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
e82n54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i 6MT Alpine White

any new insight here?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep

Sorta... after my first track event, where I was able to get the brakes hot enough to experience fade, the backing plates fell right out the next time I took the pads out. I don't think you can get them separately - only with OEM replacement pads.

As for the fitment, the Hawk rep said the HP+ pads should not be used with OEM backing plates, although I'm still not totally convinced he's not just speaking of the "norm", where the backing plates typically aren't part of the fitment surface and are just for noise cancellation.

That said, I'll be trying the HP+ with TiAl shims and NO OEM backing plate in Mid-Ohio this weekend and see if anything falls apart.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
e82n54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i 6MT Alpine White

interesting. please continue to update as you learn more. thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeryan View Post
...Is there anywhere I can get replacement backing plates only, without the pads? The aftermarket pads (Hawk HP+) did not come with any, but they are clearanced for them, as evident when lining them up next to the OEM pads.

What does everyone else do if they want to re-use the OEM plates on different pads?

I think you are using the wrong terminology. The backing plate is what the brake pad is afixed or glued onto. Perhaps you mean the brake pad heat shield? The backing plate only come with new brake pads.

here is a picture of the brake pads...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I think you are using the wrong terminology. The backing plate is what the brake pad is afixed or glued onto. Perhaps you mean the brake pad heat shield? The backing plate only come with new brake pads.

here is a picture of the brake pads...

You are correct, it is technically improper terminology, but it's what everyone seems to be familiar with here (reference the various 135i Brake Issue threads where even the guys from ER, Berk, and scott2 use this term for it, or search "backing plates"). I think most people know I'm referring to the very thin metal "shim" portion glued to the backside of the true backing plate, but I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

i was able to get mine off with a quick pass under a butane torch, and some prying.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

In the same problem. Need these backing plates quick. My mechanics threw it out the trash for me when changing pads. He claims that they were 'warped'. Got a track day coming up. Please help!
      09-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

When I changed my OEM pads to Cool Carbons, I also gave the shop the Ti Shims to install. When I got my old pads back, I noticed the metal OEM shim. Was this technically supposed to be taken off the old pads and put on the new ones in addition to the Ti Shims?
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by icabod7 View Post
When I changed my OEM pads to Cool Carbons, I also gave the shop the Ti Shims to install. When I got my old pads back, I noticed the metal OEM shim. Was this technically supposed to be taken off the old pads and put on the new ones in addition to the Ti Shims?
I carbon pads come with new backing plates.
      09-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #13
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Damn. I realize that all the counter weights and all those stuff's also off the rear pads. this is ridiculous. I highly doubt I can replace any of these stuff without buying new OEM pads... damn sh_t. The shop guy is half a friend of mine, I don't even know what to say to him now... it's gonna cost me $200+ and labor to get all the backings on. to make matter worse, I have a track day coming up next Monday and there's no way I'll be able to get all the backing plates on hand and installed before then. Is the car safe to track if I don't have any of the backing plates on?
      09-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #14
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Think about what you just asked for a second. You're missing a part of your brake system, and you want to know if it's safe to track? Is it really worth the even slight potential risk?
      09-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

The backing plates and counter weights aren't a safety risk at all. You can run on the track and you're perfectly safe. The OEM plates and weight are there as a measure for NVH...noise vibration harshness....they're designed to help the brakes squeal less. The OEM backing plates really do anything to block any sort of heat transfer. They're too thin and don't dover the entire back of the pad. For heat blockage you need to run the TI shims...or better yet save yourself time and rebuild you calipers using the racingbrake pistons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
Damn. I realize that all the counter weights and all those stuff's also off the rear pads. this is ridiculous. I highly doubt I can replace any of these stuff without buying new OEM pads... damn sh_t. The shop guy is half a friend of mine, I don't even know what to say to him now... it's gonna cost me $200+ and labor to get all the backings on. to make matter worse, I have a track day coming up next Monday and there's no way I'll be able to get all the backing plates on hand and installed before then. Is the car safe to track if I don't have any of the backing plates on?
      09-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #16
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
no worries running wo the backing plates or counter weights. been wo them ever since I bought the car. you should invest in the titanium shims if you haven't already.
      09-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #17
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
If you have titanium shims and take your car to a shop to install new pads, make sure to get all the old parts back. 90% of the time, you'll find the titanium shims in the pile of old parts. No matter how many times you remind them, they usually forget. At least that was my experience with three different shops before I started doing it myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #18
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Any new insight as to backing plate acquisition? Too many track days and gonna do another brake job soon. New backing plates would be nice...
      09-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Just get proper track pads and you won't have this issue. If you've done as many days as you have, you really shouldn't be using the oem pad anymore.
      09-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Any new insight as to backing plate acquisition? Too many track days and gonna do another brake job soon. New backing plates would be nice...
No backing plates and Ti shims. I ran that on my stock front brakes with Ferodo DS2500.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #21
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
Quote:
No backing plates and Ti shims. I ran that on my stock front brakes with Ferodo DS2500.
You mean neither backing plates or Ti shims? The pad will slide and make clunks when going between fwd and reverse then, correct?

And squealing issues with this?

I bought some cheap pads and used those backing plates. With Brake Quiet it didn't squeal. After a track day where all the brake quiet have melted away, it squeals like a pig.....