BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #23
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Those 162's are heavy, and weight 29 lbs each for the rears, 27 lbs for the fronts. My car came with those beasts. They look great, but are like boat anchors in comparison to really any aftermarket wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 08:42 PM   #24
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
I'm ditching the runflats ASAP. They are a terrible idea. Runflats should be an available option for those who want them, but not mandatory.

I don't understand why BMW locks on to stupid ideas like runflats only, and idrive then refuses to admit their mistake and let go of the nonsense, particularly after years of backlash and dissatisfaction. Wake up BMW...regular tires, touchscreen navigation.

While we're on counterintuitive BMW stuff. Put an oil dipstick back on my engine. That's great that I can check the oil level on the multi function display, but its no reason to delete the dipstick.

Oh yeah, once you dump the idrive...you got room to put the window switches back on the center console where they belong. I'd love to have an in-depth discussion with the fool who decided to abandon the BMW design language/ergonomics that made the car such an icon through the 80's and 90's.
I'm not gonna lie, I do miss the windown switches in the center of the car.
      07-18-2007, 10:37 PM   #25
fishbulb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Just about there on my MCS as well....

Thought about RF's for the peace of mind, looked at prices, thought again.

Tire Rack also sells a kit by Continental to keep in cars with no spare. I forget the exact name of it, but it is about $70 and I plan on looking into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
I'll probably do the same thing I did with the Run-Flats that came on my MINI. Run them until bald and then swap out with non-RF's
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:19 AM   #26
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

Quote:
I'd love to have an in-depth discussion with the fool who decided to abandon the BMW design language/ergonomics that made the car such an icon through the 80's and 90's.
You mean Chris Bangle? Even BBC's Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson hates him.

Back on topic, I plan on driving with them until I need new tires. I live in Southern California. So it's not like I'm going to be racing or anything.
Why throw away $1000? I'll just wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 09:20 AM   #27
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menotakoala View Post
You mean Chris Bangle? Even BBC's Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson hates him.

Back on topic, I plan on driving with them until I need new tires. I live in Southern California. So it's not like I'm going to be racing or anything.
Why throw away $1000? I'll just wait.
I'm probably one of the few that actually admires Chris Bangle. Granted many of BMW's cars on the road arent oil paintings but they sure as hell stand out and look different on the road. I kinda felt bad for the guy. He said he dosent mind the media critizing him but it gets him when it hurts his family. His 13yr old son got teased to hell about his dad and the bangle butt, and such. His son is 18 now so I'm sure he got over it. (probably driving an M6 or something)
      07-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #28
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I'm probably one of the few that actually admires Chris Bangle. Granted many of BMW's cars on the road arent oil paintings but they sure as hell stand out and look different on the road. I kinda felt bad for the guy. He said he dosent mind the media critizing him but it gets him when it hurts his family. His 13yr old son got teased to hell about his dad and the bangle butt, and such. His son is 18 now so I'm sure he got over it. (probably driving an M6 or something)
Chris Bangle does takes most of the blame, however does anyone really think that he held a gun to the head of everyone at BMW and forced them to submit to his designs. Somehow I have a hard time envisioning BMW collectively doing this just because Bangle said so.

He's not the Antichrist is he?

Anyway, if his kid is getting a M6 then Chris Bangle can adopt me. I'll be more than happy with a 135i.

Although I can't say that I've loved all the new BMW designs, they are distinctive and they are continuing to grow on me. IMHO the 1er coupe is a beautiful fusion of the old with the new. It has elements of the 2002, E30, and E46 combined with a mild bit of the flame surfacing. I think that it should age well, but of course YMMV.

There are lots of good choices out there. If the 1er doesn't do it for you then pickup a E46 M3 or any other equally valid choice.

Oh yeah, to keep it on topic I would keep the RFs until they need replacements.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 10:09 PM   #29
ssam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: carefully

isn t the suspension specifically designed for these heavier RFT?
And having to keep another tire/wheel in the truck will unbalance the car....no more 50/50 weight
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 10:14 PM   #30
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAM View Post
And having to keep another tire/wheel in the truck will unbalance the car....no more 50/50 weight
Unsprung weight is unsprung weight, and why keep another tire/wheel in the boot? Just get a mobility kit available from TireRack for non-RF tires.
      07-20-2007, 06:30 AM   #31
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
The fact that the suspension was designed with RF's in mind will mean that the ride shouldn't be quite as harsh as some people (especially those who drive MINI's) expect. But the reinforced sidewalls will still transmit more vibration into the chassis than non-RF's will

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 06:35 AM   #32
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
Just about there on my MCS as well....

Thought about RF's for the peace of mind, looked at prices, thought again.

Tire Rack also sells a kit by Continental to keep in cars with no spare. I forget the exact name of it, but it is about $70 and I plan on looking into it.
The "problem" with the ContiComfortKit (:wink is that, to fix a flat it sprays a silcone sealant into the tire along with the air from the compressor. So, once you use it, the air line gets clogged with the sealant and you have to buy the refill kit before you can use it again :mad: Don't get me wrong, I saw a demo at Frankfurt in 2005 and it worked GREAT, it's just a PITA to re-use For me, it's easier to just keep a $20 Green Slime kit in the boot

EDIT: Just read HERE that it's actually a Latex sealant and not silicone.

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #33
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAM View Post
Um no. Don't get caught up on the 50/50 weight thing. This is a perfect example of how I described BMW owners to be uptight and obsessive compulsive in another thread. The volume and weight of gas is constantly changing (along with other fluids like washer fluid), the placement of junk you are schlepping around in the trunk, glovebox, and passenger compartment is another weight variable, so is the weight of the driver and number of other passengers along with their placement.

If you were to add 1 passenger in the car, would you insist that they sit in the rear right seat for better weight distribution?...that would make an indelible impression on a date. Somebody else around here was all bent out of shape over the weight of the sunroof. We're not running a Grand Prix here folks, this is a passenger car. What really needs to lighten up is our collective uptightness.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #34
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Um no. Don't get caught up on the 50/50 weight thing. This is a perfect example of how I described BMW owners to be uptight and obsessive compulsive in another thread. The volume and weight of gas is constantly changing (along with other fluids like washer fluid), the placement of junk you are schlepping around in the trunk, glovebox, and passenger compartment is another weight variable, so is the weight of the driver and number of other passengers along with their placement.

If you were to add 1 passenger in the car, would you insist that they sit in the rear right seat for better weight distribution?...that would make an indelible impression on a date. Somebody else around here was all bent out of shape over the weight of the sunroof. We're not running a Grand Prix here folks, this is a passenger car. What really needs to lighten up is our collective uptightness.
Haha, man this WHOLE response is so true.
      07-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #35
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
If you were to add 1 passenger in the car, would you insist that they sit in the rear right seat for better weight distribution
Yes, but I'd let them eat fries in my car, as long as we split them and they held half while I held the other half. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #36
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
If you were to add 1 passenger in the car, would you insist that they sit in the rear right seat for better weight distribution?...that would make an indelible impression on a date.
Well on some dates the backseat would have been an improvement and the trunk would have been even better yet. I guess those dates fall under the category of it looked good until they opened their mouth.

Oh well... enough of that.

I do agree that we can get pretty persnickety at times, but for most part it's pretty entertaining and educational to boot.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 12:28 PM   #37
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

If my wedding goes well and i'm not too much in debt after then I would remove the run flats when adding new wheels and tire package to the car if that does not occur then I will be sticking with the run flats.
      07-20-2007, 09:06 PM   #38
Wiggum
Future N54 Owner...
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Those 162's are heavy, and weight 29 lbs each for the rears, 27 lbs for the fronts. My car came with those beasts. They look great, but are like boat anchors in comparison to really any aftermarket wheel.
Wow, scratch that idea... thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 11:50 PM   #39
beverly_k
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
I've driven countless new BMWs with run-flats and I simply don't like the feel.

I don't see any difference though. . .
      07-21-2007, 11:57 PM   #40
imported_THE JEDI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

IMHO I really think the entire run flat thing was started by the car mags because they didn't like them, I like the run flats BMW's Engineers know more about their cars than any hack from the mags will ever know,,these are the guys who said the G37s was better than the BMW, edmunds did a comparo and the 335 destroyed it in 0-60 1/4 mile and braking only place the g37 had a better time was the cones
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 04:52 PM   #41
kindtree
Private
Rep
Drives:

I would ditch the RFT's only after they were worn or it they really were THAT bad. I would sacrifice storage space for a spare in a heartbeat, especially with 18's.... I personally never had a problem running M3 17" contours on the E36 but the lower the profile, the more of a problem you face. It's inevitable. I've heard some bad things about using the repair kits too....
      07-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #42
Won35i
Unofficial Official "IN"
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi Alpine Weiss

Quote:
I'm ditching the runflats ASAP. They are a terrible idea. Runflats should be an available option for those who want them, but not mandatory.

I don't understand why BMW locks on to stupid ideas like runflats only, and idrive then refuses to admit their mistake and let go of the nonsense, particularly after years of backlash and dissatisfaction. Wake up BMW...regular tires, touchscreen navigation.

While we're on counterintuitive BMW stuff. Put an oil dipstick back on my engine. That's great that I can check the oil level on the multi function display, but its no reason to delete the dipstick.

Oh yeah, once you dump the idrive...you got room to put the window switches back on the center console where they belong. I'd love to have an in-depth discussion with the fool who decided to abandon the BMW design language/ergonomics that made the car such an icon through the 80's and 90's.
I agree 100%, especially on a car they consider to be "performance". I hope they are an available option not mandatory. I believe I could have ditched them when I was looking at a 335i, but I cant remember what else I lost by getting rid of those..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #43
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Agreed that power window buttons on the center console are great and that i-Drive is an abomination as are R-Fs.

Regarding design of BMWs; see:

Chris Bangle, is an American automobile designer and currently the chief of design for the BMW Group. Dutch born Adrian van Hooydonk recently took over the position of head of the BMW brand and is currently the main designer of BMW cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam81 View Post
Chris Bangle does takes most of the blame, however does anyone really think that he held a gun to the head of everyone at BMW and forced them to submit to his designs. Somehow I have a hard time envisioning BMW collectively doing this just because Bangle said so.

He's not the Antichrist is he?

Anyway, if his kid is getting a M6 then Chris Bangle can adopt me. I'll be more than happy with a 135i.

Although I can't say that I've loved all the new BMW designs, they are distinctive and they are continuing to grow on me. IMHO the 1er coupe is a beautiful fusion of the old with the new. It has elements of the 2002, E30, and E46 combined with a mild bit of the flame surfacing. I think that it should age well, but of course YMMV.

There are lots of good choices out there. If the 1er doesn't do it for you then pickup a E46 M3 or any other equally valid choice.

Oh yeah, to keep it on topic I would keep the RFs until they need replacements.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #44
Won35i
Unofficial Official "IN"
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi Alpine Weiss

I wish BMW would just do a standard NAV. Not that I hate iDrive, but I think its just a little too complex for the driver to operate while driving.
Appreciate 0