BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-01-2015, 12:13 AM   #1
Ninjaoz
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E39 540i, E90 320d,F15 30d

Garage List
2011 BMW 320d  [10.00]
Compass Claims - car rental

Hi All

Recently involved a car accident and we were not at fault. Unfortunately we did not take out the car rental option in our comprehensive insurance policy. The panel shop advsied us that it would take roughly 2 weeks for the repair, and have fork out $$ from our pocket if we were to organise a rental car.

Has anyone ever had any dealings with Compass Claims to recover the cost of car rental from the at-fault party? Are they easy to deal with? What are they like? Is it a scam?

Any help is appreciated. PM me if you like.

Cheers
Leon
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 12:58 AM   #2
D2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i - Sold

I have used them. They are fine - they bring the car to your repairer. Once you have the other party's claim number (for their insurer) you give Compass that and they sort it out with the other party's insurer. No need to involve your insurer.

I am assuming in this that the other party has accepted fault. If not, it may be more difficult as if they don't ultimately accept fault Compass will presumably seek to recover the cost from you.

Good luck with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaoz View Post
Hi All

Recently involved a car accident and we were not at fault. Unfortunately we did not take out the car rental option in our comprehensive insurance policy. The panel shop advsied us that it would take roughly 2 weeks for the repair, and have fork out $$ from our pocket if we were to organise a rental car.

Has anyone ever had any dealings with Compass Claims to recover the cost of car rental from the at-fault party? Are they easy to deal with? What are they like? Is it a scam?

Any help is appreciated. PM me if you like.

Cheers
Leon
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2015, 01:13 AM   #3
Anthony B
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: lemans 135i & m30b35 e30

I had an accident recently & used them. They where really easy to deal with, the girl at their depot had no idea but other than that was a great dealing.

On a side note they gave me an a4 1.8t all I can say is what a terrible car.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2015, 01:25 AM   #4
Ninjaoz
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 320d  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2000 View Post
I have used them. They are fine - they bring the car to your repairer. Once you have the other party's claim number (for their insurer) you give Compass that and they sort it out with the other party's insurer. No need to involve your insurer.

I am assuming in this that the other party has accepted fault. If not, it may be more difficult as if they don't ultimately accept fault Compass will presumably seek to recover the cost from you.

Good luck with it
You've raised a good point. The other party denied it was his fault after the accident, however the collision was captured on a video from my dashcam. I had a discussion with Compass Claims today, they have accepted my request for a rental vehicle based upon the information I have given.

I better check again the fine prints of the agreement in the event that Compass Claims was unable to recover the rental costs from the other party.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 04:38 AM   #5
BEAM3R
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M, E36 M3, 2002, 700, Isetta

I deal with them on a daily basis as I'm in the smash repair industry. They're a great company and its definitely not a scam. They just charge the third party (always has to be at fault) for the rental.

In my experience Compass will never accept the job until they have enough information necessary to be certain that you will not be chased for any money.
i.e. They will need the third party's claim number, name, address and phone number.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
Ninjaoz
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 320d  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAM3R View Post
I deal with them on a daily basis as I'm in the smash repair industry. They're a great company and its definitely not a scam. They just charge the third party (always has to be at fault) for the rental.

In my experience Compass will never accept the job until they have enough information necessary to be certain that you will not be chased for any money.
i.e. They will need the third party's claim number, name, address and phone number.
Dont think I'd go ahead with the car rental, not worth taking a risk in case Compass Claim is unable to recover the rental cost for the third party or third party's insurer.

There is a clause in the agreement specifically states that I will be liable for the rental charges in the event that they are unable to recover the cost!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
BEAM3R
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Your call. I have never had that happen in the hundreds of times that I've dealt with them. As long as you have all the information they need I don't see why it would be an issue. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
Ninjaoz
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 320d  [10.00]
has anyone had any experience with Acorn car rental?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #9
twenza
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Dealer

Compass claims I have used when I had my crash, At the time I was driving my 2012 D22 navara, was told I would receive a call back within 30 minutes. Once I phoned back 2 hours later I was told I would receive another call back, stupidly I waited, 3 hours later close to closing time I called again and demanded to speak to a supervisor, was told that Compass Claims was actually closed on the weekends and I was speaking to a call centre that takes messages, but somebody would call me on Monday. Furious, I had no other choice, (crash happened on Friday night, drunk driver crossed a median strip and hit me head on, Thank god for bullbars!)

So after a boring weekend at home carless, I cought a cab to work the Monday, after multiple calls back and forth they finally agreed and said that somebody would drop the car off to me at end of work and meet me out front. Now, they praise themselves on giving Like for Like cars.

I was met out the front by someone, with the keys to a Corolla, not impressed. It also had NO fuel in it.

So I had that car for about a month until I got my Navara back, 6 months later I receive a phonecall from compass claims stating I have a court appearance as the Drunk Drivers insurance policy wasn't covering the loan car, after I argued with them and the lawyer that I was at 0% fault, why on earth would I be taken to court, she admitted she called the wrong person.....

NEVER again will I use compass claims, I have since updated my policy to having loan car + I have 2 cars, V35 skyline and 2010 Lancer.

END OF RANT.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #10
racer_x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: When He Has To

Question for the legal eagles... Would the drunk driver's insurance company be liable in the above crash? Or would they tell him (I assume it was a he), you're on your own asshole?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #11
BEAM3R
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x
Question for the legal eagles... Would the drunk driver's insurance company be liable in the above crash? Or would they tell him (I assume it was a he), you're on your own asshole?
The latter.
Appreciate 0