Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Actually, I'm still happy with original PS2's!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #24
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
Having had PS2's, RS-3's and PSS's on my 1M, IMO the PSS are the best all-round high performance street tyre option for the 1M. They become ineffective on the track after a few laps.

With the cross over to more track orientated tyres (RS-3, AD08) on a DD and you pay the price on ride quality, lack of wet/cold grip, noise etc. For example, the RS-3's became unbearable as a DD, but outstanding to track. With tyres there's always a compromise.

Agree 1 million percent.

There is almost always a compromoise... an RS3 has way better dry grip than a PSS.. but not necessarily so in the wet... plus RS3 is noisier.. has less ride comfort. . eventually heat cycles out.. and of course won't last as long as the PSS.

Kgolf..

Personally.. I think the Direzza ZII comes the closest to being an all around street and sport tire....and probably a better tire than the PSS as an overall tire... but it is not made in 1M sizing. otherwise... indeed... you are fighting a losing battle in a street tire for street use thread ... as opposed to this being a a street tire for competition use thread.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 06-25-2014 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #25
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Personally.. I think the Direzza ZII comes the closest to being an all around tire....and probably a better tire than the PSS as an overall tire.
Great tire, better than the PSS in many respects until you hit standing water at freeway/ track speed. At which point the 1/16" shallower tread depth and lower void area are serious issues.

It's all a compromise, and the decision between great tires comes down to what you personally value. I've taken to running RS3s or streetable Rs on the street in the summer (Pilot Sport Cup 2s next) and PSS in Northern California's excuse for a "winter" when you need to be able to keep up with freeway traffic over puddles.
      06-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #26
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Personally.. I think the Direzza ZII comes the closest to being an all around tire....and probably a better tire than the PSS as an overall tire.
Great tire, better than the PSS in many respects until you hit standing water at freeway/ track speed. At which point the 1/16" shallower tread depth and lower void area are serious issues.

It's all a compromise, and the decision between great tires comes down to what you personally value. I've taken to running RS3s or streetable Rs on the street in the summer (Pilot Sport Cup 2s next) and PSS in Northern California's excuse for a "winter" when you need to be able to keep up with freeway traffic over puddles.
Exactly. Texas is much like your area. My stock wheels get tires that are capable of rain and possibly cold weather for Texas " winter" which my car really sees none of.

Otherwise a second set of wheels is usually on the car for summer street duty.

A third set of wheels is ready for the track...

And an SUV is in the driveway if it snows. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #27
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

It is amazing how much difference fresh tires can make, especially on ride comfort! Replaced my 15,000 km. and 2.5 year old stock size PSS set with fresh 255/275 PSS and right out of the tire shop difference in comfort is absurd. Also did a pretty high speed test drive on the highway and with no break-in they feel better than old ones already.

Even with only +1 size difference there is visibly more rubber which means additional and much needed protection for rims.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #28
rick propas
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M-Valencia

Just to follow up, the tires and I have settled in together. I'm still undecided about going out on the track and now that I have had some time with the car I am no longer pushing it so hard on the street. So they seem just fine. Will I buy another pair in 20,000 miles? We shall see.

Thanks to all for some interesting perspectives and advice.
Appreciate 0