BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-31-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
kioko12
king kong in the trunk...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Cabriolet

JL Audio System Review w/ Videos

I finally got around to getting a system installed in my car. Decided to go with an all JL Audio setup after hearing nothing but good stuff about the products. Plus, a good friend of mine is a JL fanatic and has been using their gear for over 10 years.

Anyway, I think the project came out fantastic. The system sounds great, and the best part is that I still have usable trunk space. The hard part was getting an enclosure big enough to sound good, but still fit in the limited space of a convertible. I'm pretty happy with the results.

There are a few other videos of my friend's Lexus RX450h. He got a system installed at the same place (Safe & Sound) and they did an awesome job. He's getting another one installed in his 2011 335i x-drive in about a week or so. I'll post that video up on my channel.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmclX0E2OPA

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMPOXXNtgFY

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUbOVbdO-Io
      08-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Why do people persist in calling a subwoofer add-on a "system"?

A "system" implies completeness - but adding a sub - definitely an upgrade - is not a complete upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
kioko12
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Why do people persist in calling a subwoofer add-on a "system"?

A "system" implies completeness - but adding a sub - definitely an upgrade - is not a complete upgrade.
Fair enough. To answer your question: Why do we call it a system? Because "subwoofer add-on" sounds too awkward

Seriously, though, it's a work in progress. The rest of my "system" will include a second matching sub enclosure, Focal or JL components, and perhaps a CleanSweep DSP.
      08-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

Looks good and i am sure it sounds good too! I really like JL audio subs and amps, but I think you would be happier with Focal components over JL components IMHO.
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
kioko12
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro2296 View Post
Looks good and i am sure it sounds good too! I really like JL audio subs and amps, but I think you would be happier with Focal components over JL components IMHO.
Thanks, and yeah, I think only the Focals K2's will fit without having to do hardcore modifications to my doors, etc.
      08-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
My535i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

Nice vids...how well does the stock system keep up with the new sub? Do you think the bass would pass through to the cabin as well in a coupe vs your vert?
      08-24-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
kioko12
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My535i View Post
Nice vids...how well does the stock system keep up with the new sub? Do you think the bass would pass through to the cabin as well in a coupe vs your vert?
The stock system keeps up ok, but clearly it depends on how far up I turn the bass gain. Anything past halfway and the mains are totally drowned out.

I'd imagine the bass would sound even better in a coupe than in my vert. The vert definitely has more bass leak out of the roof since it's not solid. Also, the seals are nowhere near as tight as in the coupe. Still, with my sub/amp combo, it can get very, very loud for a 10" sub inside. Most impressive is the extension. Easily goes down to the low 20's hz range, but output falls off sharply below 20 hz due to the subsonic filter on the amp.
      08-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Vert

Garage List
Question

+1 to VPElectricity's point (as usual)...

Kioko12, you mention that your next move is to add another sub enclosure. Is that really the best place to invest? Which 1-series stereo/speakers do you have - the sticky PDF calls them Stereo, HiFi, or Top HiFi?

HK Document for 1er Premium Audio

I used to have the Top HiFi in my former '09 135i vert, and the speakers in that system sucked. In a way, if you're starting with the basic Stereo system, that's great, you saved $875.

If you have the basic system, I would guess an amp & speaker upgrade might be next. If you have HiFi or Top HiFi, the amp might suffice for now, and the speakers should be the next upgrade.

BTW, I think the best thing you can do while deciding is listen to as many 1-ers stereos as possible. Go to the dealer and listen to the HiFi/Top HiFi if you don't have it. Ask Safe & Sound if they have done other customer 1-ers, and if you could demo them. And maybe find another stereo shop or two, and demo any cars that they have done. Bring your iPod with your demo songs. Hearing is believing!

(Oh, I just saw your tag line "King Kong in the trunk"... maybe you do need a few more subs... )
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
kioko12
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasar View Post
+1 to VPElectricity's point (as usual)...

Kioko12, you mention that your next move is to add another sub enclosure. Is that really the best place to invest? Which 1-series stereo/speakers do you have - the sticky PDF calls them Stereo, HiFi, or Top HiFi?

HK Document for 1er Premium Audio

I used to have the Top HiFi in my former '09 135i vert, and the speakers in that system sucked. In a way, if you're starting with the basic Stereo system, that's great, you saved $875.

If you have the basic system, I would guess an amp & speaker upgrade might be next. If you have HiFi or Top HiFi, the amp might suffice for now, and the speakers should be the next upgrade.

BTW, I think the best thing you can do while deciding is listen to as many 1-ers stereos as possible. Go to the dealer and listen to the HiFi/Top HiFi if you don't have it. Ask Safe & Sound if they have done other customer 1-ers, and if you could demo them. And maybe find another stereo shop or two, and demo any cars that they have done. Bring your iPod with your demo songs. Hearing is believing!

(Oh, I just saw your tag line "King Kong in the trunk"... maybe you do need a few more subs... )
Hey Plasar, thanks for the comments. I've got the HiFi system that came as the base model during 2008, so it's got 10 speakers in the cabin. They're obviously no where near the quality and output of most aftermarket components, but I can live with them for now. I've heard the new "Base" 6-speaker system in a buddy's 335i and it's actually not that bad. Not sure what it sounds like in the 135, though. Either way, my system stock was much better overall.

Not sure if I articulated this point in my videos, but the sub plays really, really low bass surprisingly well. Definitely lower and louder than any 10" sub has a right to. That alone made me super happy with the sub. Keep in mind that I'm still running the 8's under the seats, so I'm sure that helps the 10w6 in the trunk.

Alas, I'm a basshead when it comes to driving, so the more bass, the better. I'm the total opposite when it comes to listening at home. For now, I think I'm going to hold off on investing any more into my car audio system. I think I've put enough money into my car as it is, and I think it's good for me to have a "cooling off" period before throwing more money at it. I tend to be pretty impulsive when it comes to these kinds of things
      10-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
kioko12
United_States
Rep

Parting out my car!

Hey guys,

I'm selling my 135i and have decided to part it out. As such, tonight I had my installer remove all of my JL Audio system (crazy, I know...) and it's for sale.

$700 takes it all!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446047

Weisslicht LED White Halos are next...
      10-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
Nitroxide
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

What a month it was!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
Jayymose