BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #45
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
To paraphrase myself and a previous poster, it makes me think of a "euro-mustang" or something like that. It's definitely got a bit of "tough guy" in it, even "working man's car", but in a civilized way. (FYI, I don't like the look of the Mustang - too "high school" for me.)

And regarding the 3-series, really, its just too much of a "banker's" car or "real-estate agent's" car for me (no offense to anyone's job description here.) All the hours I've spent test driving the 1s and 3s this summer, I would always do the usual rounds of stopping at shopping plazas and coffee shops to see how it handles in parking lots and how it feels to get in/out in public. Everytime I'd get in/out of the 1s, I'd feel cool. Everytime I'd get in/out of the 3s, I'd feel like I"m supposed have on my collar shirt & tie, briefcase, and my serious "client-smile" on my face ready to give someone a load of business bullsh*t, if you know what I mean.

The funky 1 is very liberating in that regard. It really "takes your tie off" in my opinion.
I can see a cool ad from that.
A guy gets out of his MB or 3 or 5 series sedan, the door is left open, a Starbucks cup is spilled on the ground with coffee running onto the street towards his tossed opened briefcase laying on the street with papers flying out of it.
He's running towards his "other" car, 3 piece suit jacket half off as he's pulling hard at his tie to loosen and get if off with one hand. as the other is tearing away his starched white button down shirt, buttons flying, pulling hard away from one side, and underneath is revealed a T-shirt with a stylized "1" sitting in place of the "S", where Supermans S would be!
He's running for his 1 and his FREEDOM!
TAG:
BMW...The ONE1.

BMW, call me, we can work a deal.
Oh, and a few bills for SJ's inspiration.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #46
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I can see a cool ad from that.
A guy gets out of his MB or 3 or 5 series sedan, the door is left open, a Starbucks cup is spilled on the ground with coffee running onto the street towards his tossed opened briefcase laying on the street with papers flying out of it.
He's running towards his "other" car, 3 piece suit jacket half off as he's pulling hard at his tie to loosen and get if off with one hand. as the other is tearing away his starched white button down shirt, buttons flying, pulling hard away from one side, and underneath is revealed a T-shirt with a stylized "1" sitting in place of the "S", where Supermans S would be!
He's running for his 1 and his FREEDOM!
TAG:
BMW...The ONE1.

BMW, call me, we can work a deal.
Oh, and a few bills for SJ's inspiration.

Niiiice....LOL. Seriously I was prepared to buy a 335i coupe or a A5....then the Tii version of the 1er came out...and I was sold...small, sporty, big enough backseat(big one for me and my son), with a BMW engine...but I must say I was a slightly disappointed when the production 135i came out....I did not like the stock front bumper, sooooo I ordered the performance Tii style kit and the rest is history.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #47
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Niiiice....LOL. Seriously I was prepared to buy a 335i coupe or a A5....then the Tii version of the 1er came out...and I was sold...small, sporty, big enough backseat(big one for me and my son), with a BMW engine...but I must say I was a slightly disappointed when the production 135i came out....I did not like the stock front bumper, sooooo I ordered the performance Tii style kit and the rest is history.

Any pictures of that Tii style kit?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 11:51 PM   #48
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:

Any pictures of that Tii style kit?

Here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...88&postcount=1

Here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...19&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 12:34 AM   #49
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

i have to say they could have modified the look of the 1 to make it more attractive. If they only dropped the height a few inches and make it a little wider the car would be a perfect car and add a spare tire and remove the weight in the back to make it 50/50 weight distribution.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #50
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

A lower, wider car would be likely better looking, but not meet new impact standards (and likely cost more). Also, removing the weight in back would skew the ratio further from 50/50, not make it closer to 50/50.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #51
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Looks like I have a dilemma, I can either worry about what other folks think about my car or I can get busy trying to make it through my automotive education (see pic below).

Gee, that wasn't a hard decision at all. Back to the 'BMW Dimension: Engines That Made History' it is!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #52
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

but i also mentioned that they should put a spare tire in the back, which would compensate, hopefully enough for the 50/50 ratio to occur. I do agree with the cost issue though, but i dont understand how it would affect the impact standard. You would think that making your car wider, means it is more stable and sticks on the ground more right, so how does this affect impact standard? isnt the reason why people get widebodied on their car and to drop their car is to improve the traction on the car with the road and not make it flip over easily on very sharp turns at higher speeds??? Please explain im not a professional in cars at least i can learn something thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #53
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1761 View Post
but i also mentioned that they should put a spare tire in the back, which would compensate, hopefully enough for the 50/50 ratio to occur. I do agree with the cost issue though, but i dont understand how it would affect the impact standard. You would think that making your car wider, means it is more stable and sticks on the ground more right, so how does this affect impact standard? isnt the reason why people get widebodied on their car and to drop their car is to improve the traction on the car with the road and not make it flip over easily on very sharp turns at higher speeds??? Please explain im not a professional in cars at least i can learn something thanks in advance
First... sorry for taking this craptactular thread even further off topic.

The impact standard is for pedestrians, where the front of the car has to be a certain height.

Also, lots of folks have taken the rear of their car apart (myself included), and have not found any added weight

People are lowering their cars for two reasons... to make them look better (subjective), and for competition, as lowering the center of gravity aids in grip (as does added negative camber, wider tires/wheel base, and firmer damping).
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #54
SJ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: none yet

Re: Tii style kit

Are these body pieces on top of the 135i "sport aerodynamic kit" that comes on the 135 (as opposed to the 128)? Or, are they pieces you have replaced (or both maybe)?

Is there a link that describes in detail what the components of this kit are?

Car looks great!! Man those are absolutely killer wheels!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #55
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
Are these body pieces on top of the 135i "sport aerodynamic kit" that comes on the 135 (as opposed to the 128)? Or, are they pieces you have replaced (or both maybe)?

Is there a link that describes in detail what the components of this kit are?

Car looks great!! Man those are absolutely killer wheels!
The complete kit is front bumper, CF splitters, new air ducting, side skirts, CF mirrors, CF trunk spoiler. There are two items of the kit that I do not have:Performance exhaust(you can find cheaper better sounding elsewhere IMHO), the CF diffuser(because the price of it is outrageous...even more so that the other prices for parts $1300+), and the Peformance wheels(I think my wheels look better but that is subjective of course) and brake kit(brake kit not necessary really...not much different that what is already on the car). The other "Tii" parts are interior related items: Seats, Performance steering wheel, short-shift kit/knob/boot.....full list of parts here:

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/Access...=444&perf=true
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #56
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Very sharp indeed!

I like the way the sides help offset the one design faux pas.
It cleans it up and levels it. The OEM look does give it an odd pot belly look when combined with the tallish cabin. If BMW would have left a nice clean straight line, it would look much better.
That kit helps it alot.

I also like your color scheme with the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #57
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Very sharp indeed!

I like the way the sides help offset the one design faux pas.
It cleans it up and levels it. The OEM look does give it an odd pot belly look when combined with the tallish cabin. If BMW would have left a nice clean straight line, it would look much better.
That kit helps it alot.

I also like your color scheme with the wheels.
I agree, the Tii side skirts help with the pot belly.
      09-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #58
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Yeah I agree....I find it interesting that 3er owners are so-called "bashing" the 1er. Almost every single day I have had people go out of their way to compliment my car....from Jaguar owners ('08 XK coupe..LOL) to regular Honda drivers.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #59
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I think people have to realise that BMW intended the 1 series coupe as their entry-level BMW coupe within their entry-level 1-series segment. There is no way they would have made it much better looking and hence more desireable than the 3-series etc. It also has to 'fit' within the 1-series segment (ie the hatches).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #60
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

^^^ How is a 135i entry level? Doesn't it cost more than a 328i sedan? To me that looks much more entry level than a 135i... At least the 135i is unique (and that is with both people loving or hating it)... Plus its 300/300 stock which hardly seems entry level to me...

I mean just this weekend I saw a guy from college and I told him I bought a 1 series and the first thing he said was "girls car" (BTW his car is honda accord)... What is even better is I am on the road that same day and I see a guy with a stage 3 s4 telling me my car is awesome...

hmm, seems like people with car knowledge would only consider this car to be entry level or a "girls" car...

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #61
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

The whole BMW 1-series range is THEIR ENTRY LEVEL RANGE. Plus we are talking body shape and asethetics here...not engine spec (ie not just the 135i). I drive a 135i btw. Geez some people think this car is the be all and end all.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #62
SVT2BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBel1214 View Post
^^^ How is a 135i entry level? Doesn't it cost more than a 328i sedan? To me that looks much more entry level than a 135i... At least the 135i is unique (and that is with both people loving or hating it)... Plus its 300/300 stock which hardly seems entry level to me...

I mean just this weekend I saw a guy from college and I told him I bought a 1 series and the first thing he said was "girls car" (BTW his car is honda accord)... What is even better is I am on the road that same day and I see a guy with a stage 3 s4 telling me my car is awesome...

hmm, seems like people with car knowledge would only consider this car to be entry level or a "girls" car...
Most people are idiots and jealous, so they say things like that to make you feel bad. It is dumb, but hey what can you do. My friend thought the same thing before I got it and he changed his mind once he saw it and took a ride in it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #63
Lisav123
Girls can drive just as fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

i love the way the 1 looks, im big on small im tradin in my mini for the one and its gunna b so big compared to the mini and i love the one bcz of its looks and its small so shut up haterss
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #64
1lvr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i JB+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisav123 View Post
i love the way the 1 looks, im big on small im tradin in my mini for the one and its gunna b so big compared to the mini and i love the one bcz of its looks and its small so shut up haterss

well hello goodlookin... hehe just kidding...
      09-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #65
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
I think people have to realise that BMW intended the 1 series coupe as their entry-level BMW coupe within their entry-level 1-series segment. There is no way they would have made it much better looking and hence more desireable than the 3-series etc. It also has to 'fit' within the 1-series segment (ie the hatches).
I'm with you in that the 128i is more "entry level" in North A.
But, I doubt that the look of it was designed intentionally to look "less desireable". Again you're falling into the mindset that the 1 looks bad, and you're adding that it was intentional.
There is nothing in a marketing sense that would dictate that any business would do that.

Given the lower level content in the 1, the lower cost is the result. The lower cost isn't achieved by picking a less attractive design. Doing that would mean you're setting yourself up for failure before you even start selling the car. I don't know why some people can't see that the design of the 1 flows from it's intended function, to be a smaller version of the 3, yet still retain a sizeable cabin, thus opening it up to a larger market or larger group of potential buyers. If BMW didn't want to hurt 3 series sales then they wouldnt' have built the 1 in the first place, and they certainly wouldn't have put in the same hot rodded engines.

The business case is pretty clear, build a BMW that is smaller and lighter in weight than the ever growing 3 series, that will appeal to a BMW enthusiast as well as those who want a new BMW at a lower cost.
You have the 128i to appeal to those who want a new BMW at a lower cost, and you have the hot rod 135i to appeal to the enthusiast who might otherwise not get a 3 due to how big it's become, as there are a lot of BMW enthusiasts who bitched at how big the 3 is getting.
So give a smaller BMW those who might otherwise leave BMW, and at the same time give a smaller lower cost BMW to drivers who may want a larger BMW in a few years. It covers entry level and continuing level.
It is very smart of BMW to offer a 128i and a 135i. Audi can't compete fully here because they can only compete with the 128i with the A3.
Audi missed the bullseye even further by keeping the "older" less powerful 2.0T instead of giving the A3 the newer more powerful 2.0T variant.

I don't see how making a bad design would serve a positive marketing goal here. It's obviously not a bad design as it's a decent seller even in these bad economic times.
There are a LOT of people who think the 1 looks very cool and very unique, and that draws buyers in not out.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #66
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Audi can't compete fully here because they can only compete with the 128i with the A3.
Audi missed the bullseye even further by keeping the "older" less powerful 2.0T instead of giving the A3 the newer more powerful 2.0T variant.
If they imported the S3 wouldn't that "kinda" be a competitor as well?
Appreciate 0