BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #133
spykey
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Well... most people just buy the basic($179) or enthusiast($287) BT kit. You can find them for sale on 1Addicts from time to time for under $200.

Most apps like Torque or BMwhat or Carly are way cheaper ($5 to $60). Plus you need a OBDII dongle for $30.

Dackel
Hi Dackelone,
Yes I do have an OBD dongle.. but it looks like the Bavarian Technic have way more features...

Can you see brakes, oil level etc.. on Torque or BMwhat or Carly?

Cheers man!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 11:00 AM   #134
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by spykey View Post
Can you see brakes, oil level etc.. on Torque or BMwhat or Carly?
I do not know. I only have the Bav Tech right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #135
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

So I have to ask about this - hopefully someone has an idea...

My 2011 135i was delivered in July of 2010. It has 14684 miles, so not a lot at all...

I just got VANOS bolts done and so wanted to change the oil. It was due despite low use, given time since my last change.

So I did an oil change, no problem. Went in to reset the service indicator. No problem.

But when I reset it, immediately it states that next service is 4/2018 or 15000 miles.

Note I said I have 14684 miles on the car.

So I assume it is a count DOWN for that one???

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 04:28 AM   #136
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post

So I did an oil change, no problem. Went in to reset the service indicator. No problem.

But when I reset it, immediately it states that next service is 4/2018 or 15000 miles.

Note I said I have 14684 miles on the car.

So I assume it is a count DOWN for that one???

Thanks!
Yes, that is correct.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #137
1er_vert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si; 2010 BMW X6

Cannot reset 2010 BMW 128i

Unfortunately, I was not aware this needed being done until the red BRAKE dash light came on. I recently did the front pads and kept the front sensor, since it did NOT wear down at all.

When scrolling to the service screen for front pads - it shows I have exceeded the warning interval by 10 miles....indicated by a "-10" number. Does this mean I have to replace the good front sensor?
      06-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #138
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1er_vert View Post
Unfortunately, I was not aware this needed being done until the red BRAKE dash light came on. I recently did the front pads and kept the front sensor, since it did NOT wear down at all.

When scrolling to the service screen for front pads - it shows I have exceeded the warning interval by 10 miles....indicated by a "-10" number. Does this mean I have to replace the good front sensor?
Yes, I am afraid so. A new sensors will have a different resistance(ohms). Some have ad luck in shorting out the pins of the sensors and try resetting the BC. You could try that first. But I think you might need to take your car to BMW for them to reset the red brake light in the end. Not many people have had luck in doing it themselves.

Go back one page to post #114 and see what I mean.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #139
Dak Tirque
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Thanks Dak.. you are truly a asset! Reset oil no problem.
And My new FAT Pilot Super Sports 255/225 are freaking awesome. Thanks for your help on that one ..NO RUBS! what a ride!
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #140
iQuick
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M-Sport Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
And here I was 2 clicks away from buying the BT tool! Some very useful information. Just one thing though, if I intend to change my oil more frequently, can I enter manually a shorter amount of Kms prior to having the indicator go off? For example, instead of the indicator going off after 15000Kms, can I set it to say, 7500Kms?
Hi, I am new here

I have a feeling my question may have been asked before. So kindly please point me in the right direction if it has.

If I wanted to extract the most value out of my motor-plan by having BMW cover my oil changes more frequently i.e. every 7500 miles is there a way I can "cheat" my cars built in system/indictor that tells BMW my oil should be changed at a KM interval specified by myself?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #141
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The one series does not have a spark plug service light like the 3er/e9x cars do. For 135i's the plugs have always been due at 45K miles. Most dealers even will change them under the warranty service plan. For 128i NA motors the plugs are due at 100K miles. No way would I go that long on my own car.

I think changing spark plugs every 30K miles is better.

Intake air filter is due at 60K miles. There will be a lot of little stones, sand and leaves caught up in there. I used a vacuum cleaner on my air box.

Dack
Is there a way to "reset" these items? I know spark plug, microfilter, engine air filter are not listed in the service menu, so when I change them I just make a note of it but it's annoying because if I have to bring my car in the dealership always tells me they need to be replaced.
      08-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #142
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsublime View Post
Is there a way to "reset" these items? I know spark plug, microfilter, engine air filter are not listed in the service menu, so when I change them I just make a note of it but it's annoying because if I have to bring my car in the dealership always tells me they need to be replaced.
You can use the info on page one of this thread... to reset the service lights.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415111

or... you can use an app like BMwhat or BMWcarly to reset the service lights(I believe). I know with the Bav Tech tool - you could also reset or adjust the service(CBS) info.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #143
CRYA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N55 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1er_vert View Post

I let my rear pad countdown get to 0 and did the pads this weekend without changing the sensor but cannot reset the interval. I hold the reset button but ultimately it returns to the rear pad warning saying "0", but, contrary to others, I do not believe I triggered the sensor because I don't think I have the permanent amber warning. I just get a red "service due" at startup. What's up with that? I don't really want to have to tear apart the brake again to replace the sensor.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 12:32 PM   #144
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYA View Post
I let my rear pad countdown get to 0 and did the pads this weekend without changing the sensor but cannot reset the interval. I hold the reset button but ultimately it returns to the rear pad warning saying "0", but, contrary to others, I do not believe I triggered the sensor because I don't think I have the permanent amber warning. I just get a red "service due" at startup. What's up with that? I don't really want to have to tear apart the brake again to replace the sensor.
Assuming that the sensors are fine, you'll probably need to disconnect then reconnect them to trick the car into thinking they were replaced. I've yet to do a brake job on a bimmer due to mileage, so I've never had to confirm this myself, just an educated guess.

If this doesn't work, the old trick is to cut the sensor off (since it's just a piece of metal that will wear down, when its worn to a certain point, the connection breaks meaning no electricity flows through the sensor). Remove some of the sheathing and connect the two wires together, then solder them/heat shrink over to prevent the elements from getting to em. There will be a DIY either here or on E90 post.

The alternate approach would be through coding, see the below threads, PM me if you need help with this route.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=804981 --> they use more values than are needed here. Could probably just go br_v;100;02 / br_h;100;02 (assuming this is your second service, hence 02, see the DIY below)

and

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1312512 --> similar procedure, see post #5 for the value needed.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:43 PM   #145
CRYA
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Had to be reset at the shop after ordering and installing new sensor. But now something new, after the indy reset the service timer, I can no longer pull up the reset feature by holding in the button. I've tried in every power on configuration and I just hold and hold and I never get the warning triangle and reset menu anymore. Guess I'll have to pay the indy another $25 when I do the next oil service in 1,000.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 05:27 PM   #146
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYA View Post
Had to be reset at the shop after ordering and installing new sensor. But now something new, after the indy reset the service timer, I can no longer pull up the reset feature by holding in the button. I've tried in every power on configuration and I just hold and hold and I never get the warning triangle and reset menu anymore. Guess I'll have to pay the indy another $25 when I do the next oil service in 1,000.
Are you trying to reset your TPMS(tire) pressures? The reset button only shows up in the bc menu when the vehicle is stationary.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #147
CRYA
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you trying to reset your TPMS(tire) pressures? The reset button only shows up in the bc menu when the vehicle is stationary.
Ugh I'm an idiot. Sleep-deprived. Pressing wrong button. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      11-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #148
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i and Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietTab View Post
You can not reset this from the stalk once it turns red and says "SERVICE". Just pointing that out. You can only reset it up until the actual due time, once you hit that point, you're SOL.
I just got the RED triangle ! for brake fluid. I'll probably change the fluid tomorrow. I never got a yellow warning - first time was a red ! for brake fluid. Can I reset this myself if it's red?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #149
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i and Porsche

^^ Just thought I'd follow this up..

I suppose you don't get a yellow "service due" light for the brake fluid. In any event, I flushed and replaced the brake fluid (Ate 200) and reset the red brake fluid light with the instructions here. New service date says: 11/20/2018.

Thanks Dack!
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      11-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #150
TheRedBaroness
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I have not been successful in resetting my brake pad sensor.

I replaced the pads and rotors a year ago, but the sensors were in fine shape so I did not replace them. About two months ago I received the YELLOW warning. Over the weekend I received the RED warning. I took off the driver's front wheel and the wires were broken, but I measured the pad thickness and I still have 12mm, so the pads are sound.

I replaced the sensor wire and the warning persists. I have read every thread I could find and watched some YouTube videos and attempted to reset the warning to no avail.

One thing I did learn is that the reset for a manual is different than a reset for an automatic, and I have tried both. I also have iDrive, but could not find mention anywhere of if this makes any difference.

Has anyone been successful in resetting this warning on a 2011 135i manual?

FYI: This is one of the threads I reviewed: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...+warning+reset
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #151
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedBaroness View Post
I have not been successful in resetting my brake pad sensor.

I replaced the pads and rotors a year ago, but the sensors were in fine shape so I did not replace them. About two months ago I received the YELLOW warning. Over the weekend I received the RED warning. I took off the driver's front wheel and the wires were broken, but I measured the pad thickness and I still have 12mm, so the pads are sound.

I replaced the sensor wire and the warning persists. I have read every thread I could find and watched some YouTube videos and attempted to reset the warning to no avail.

One thing I did learn is that the reset for a manual is different than a reset for an automatic, and I have tried both. I also have iDrive, but could not find mention anywhere of if this makes any difference.

Has anyone been successful in resetting this warning on a 2011 135i manual?

FYI: This is one of the threads I reviewed: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...+warning+reset
I think you will need to visit a BMW dealer and have them reset the brake warning light(s). Or maybe you can find a "coder" in your area to reset them.

I also believe the BMwhat or Carely app might also work in resetting the warning light. You might need to use a jumper wire to short out the sensors - try resetting the warning lamp, then reconnect the old sensors and reset again. ? That's what a few people have reported before in this thread.

Did you read/see these two posts in this thread...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=105

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=48
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #152
iQuick
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M-Sport Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by iQuick View Post
Hi, I am new here

I have a feeling my question may have been asked before. So kindly please point me in the right direction if it has.

If I wanted to extract the most value out of my motor-plan by having BMW cover my oil changes more frequently i.e. every 7500 miles is there a way I can "cheat" my cars built in system/indictor that tells BMW my oil should be changed at a KM interval specified by myself?
Can anyone assist?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #153
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iQuick View Post
Can anyone assist?
Perhaps IF you have BMW's ISTA program and a laptop. But I think even then... once your dealer reads your key fob... they will see when the last oil service was - regardless of what the key fob says.

Just do your own oil changes or have a trusted shop do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #154
ChassisGuy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Sport Pkg

Just wanted to share my experience. I replaced my front pads and rotors while keeping the non-damaged pad sensors (as others have). Also recently flushed all fluids prior to a track day. I recently got the service warning and then the red service light with the overdue mileage count. I got up to -300 before attempting a reset.

From some of the other posts I was worried I would have to go to the dealer, but gave this method a try anyway. Here's what I did:

1) Reset front brake and got the "-----" instead of mileage
2) Reset the "lift" service and got a new service date
3) Went back and reset the front brake again and the mileage was reset

Make sure you try a second reset before taking it to the dealer!

Chris
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00