10-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by julienjj View Post
Sucks for us in north america.... the speed limit is around 100kph on most of Canada and USA highways...
You are socially considered a ''dangerous outlaw'' if you ever go over 150kph... which, let's face it, is pretty much safe.
Its all about driving training and other driver's being aware of the other cars. It also helps that German has a pretty strict driving points system and people can LOOSE their driver's license for something like going thru a red light or speeding more than 40+ kph over the posted limit or in bad weather.

Most cars on the Autobahn driving around 150 to 180 kph, I would say 75%. Then about 20% driver at 200 to 240 kph. Then there is that 5% that driver over 250+ kph.

Still... its hard to drive so fast over here for very long... bc it really eats into your wallet when fuel cost $9 per gallon and you AVERAGE 9mpg at 260+ kph speeds!

Here are some videos I shot on the A9 (Northbound) between Greding and Nurnberg a few years ago...

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #24
smq42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by julienjj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
It is not the matt grey car from our Sella 2.0 trip. I have already asked Thomas who owns the grey 1M if it was his car. Nor is it ace11 's 1M (the one with the gren accents from Frankfurt. It must be someone else's wrapped, 1M.

The best place for really high speed driving around Munich is to head North on the A9 Autobahn. The section between Allershausen and Ingolstadt is nice. Then the section between Greding and Nurnberg/Feucht is even nicer!! You can easily hit 300+ kph in the right car, with light traffic. I've done close to 290 kph there many times before.

The problem with the A92 Autobahn is it heads to the East... like Deggendorf and ultimately Czech... so you have a lot of cars going back to the Eastern countries... and well.. those drives are not so good at driving "quickly" and "safely" as say your average German is(not to mention the condition of the cars that come from the Eastern countries). I really prefer the A9 for really high speed driving.
Sucks for us in north america.... the speed limit is around 100kph on most of Canada and USA highways...
You are socially considered a ''dangerous outlaw'' if you ever go over 150kph... which, let's face it, is pretty much safe.
150 kph is safe. . . If you're surrounded by good drivers that are paying attention and aware of relative speeds in the passing lane vs other lanes.

150 kph is lunacy on most North American highways where the average driver is texting in the left lane driving at 100 while faster cars swerve around him/her in the middle lane at 130!
?13 E70 X5
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #25
julienjj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

Where i live I'd loose my license if I ever get caught at 160+ (Still doesn't stop me from doing some good runs :P)

In many places where I've went in europe people where driving 150 casually... the roads had good curves in them...

Montreal-Toronto is a 5.5hrs/550km boring straight line with virtually nothing in between. 100kph max... Distances are unbelievably great in america. We would totally profit from higher speeds, plus gas is cheap.
Gone : 135i 2008 | Gone : 2008 535i Touring|
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #26
smq42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by julienjj
Where i live I'd loose my license if I ever get caught at 160+ (Still doesn't stop me from doing some good runs :P)

In many places where I've went in europe people where driving 150 casually... the roads had good curves in them...

Montreal-Toronto is a 5.5hrs/550km boring straight line with virtually nothing in between. 100kph max... Distances are unbelievably great in america. We would totally profit from higher speeds, plus gas is cheap.
I know the area well!

Met some of the OPP's finest on that road. They were complete bastards - never gave me a break. . . And if you really want to get screwed, try getting pulled over by the QPP with your Ontario plates!
?13 E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 01:34 AM   #27
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Negative, swagon - it ain't the grey wrapped 1M that enjoyed Sella 2.0 with us. I inquired but "Wolfy" confirmed that it's not him. He has no PF seats and E92 M3 GTS wheels and his car may still sport the Dolomiti Lagorai sticker.
Oh, good to hear. Thanks, Luc.
      10-06-2015, 04:29 AM   #28
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Oh, good to hear. Thanks, Luc.
Well, as we know of course, it's always sad, no matter if we know the person or not.

That's another one of the 6309 1M cars down (or, if you like, joined the eternal ///M fields/roads).
      10-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #29
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Whoever owns it, i hope both are safe and walking. Wish i knew who it was, after they recover and settle down id make a deal for the rear trunk lid and all the parts...
      10-07-2015, 06:23 AM   #30
Ringer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ms

Very sad to see this. I hope the driver is ok..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 02:29 AM   #31
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smq42 View Post
150 kph is safe. . . If you're surrounded by good drivers that are paying attention and aware of relative speeds in the passing lane vs other lanes.

150 kph is lunacy on most North American highways where the average driver is texting in the left lane driving at 100 while faster cars swerve around him/her in the middle lane at 130!
I thought the drivers in Australia were bad as most sit in the fast lane not paying attention at 10kph under the speed limit because they are afraid of speed cameras.

Then I drove in California recently and people on the freeways/highways were crazy, so many people tailgating while on their phone. I actually had two cars swerve off the road to avoid running into the back of us because they weren't paying attention and I was slowing for traffic ahead.
Saw the same thing happen to other people twice more!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 07:50 AM   #32
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
Quote:
Originally Posted by smq42 View Post

I thought the drivers in Australia were bad as most sit in the fast lane not paying attention at 10kph under the speed limit because they are afraid of speed cameras.

Then I drove in California recently and people on the freeways/highways were crazy, so many people tailgating while on their phone. I actually had two cars swerve off the road to avoid running into the back of us because they weren't paying attention and I was slowing for traffic ahead.
Saw the same thing happen to other people twice more!
Welcome to the U.S. It's not just California. It always amazes me how people never look ahead for traffic. I had a crazy lady yelling and screaming in my rear view mirror because I was coasting in heavy traffic instead of doing the stop and go.