BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
driving topless

I drove to work topless this morning.

Now that your eyes have probably widened a little, I’ll explain.

The drivers side mirror in my car hasn’t been remembering it’s setting properly, so I gave it back to Bee-Em and kindly asked them to fix it for me. In exchange I got the convertible version of my model (a 135i), which I summarily made fold it’s cloth bits into the boot and then proceeded to drive to work listening to the glorious exhaust note the whole way. It was like a mechanical symphony orchestra!

I've got to hand it to the 'vert, it may have a floppy roof and an auto-magic gearbox, but gee it was "fun" to drive. Even the colour scheme is nice, not my usual but it worked well I think - the dusky blue metallic paint with beige leather and a walnut wood-effect trim. I wouldn't pick it personally but it works a treat with the open air attitude of the 'vert IMO.

Took me some embarrassingly high revving to figure out that pushing both steering wheel buttons (i'm like "why doesn't one of these buttons shift to 2nd!!!) shifts you down a gear and that you need to pull the lever forward to shift up...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post

Took me some embarrassingly high revving to figure out that pushing both steering wheel buttons (i'm like "why doesn't one of these buttons shift to 2nd!!!) shifts you down a gear and that you need to pull the lever forward to shift up...
Don't worry, happened to me the first time I did it as well Funny thing was that my mom was on the passenger seat and freaked out at the high revving. I told her all was well but she didn't believe me Now is a different story hehe
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

The exhaust note does sound awesome with the top down..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
~sarah~
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135  [10.00]
I drove topless yesterday too. hehe
Didnt last very long, too cold in melbourne. I saw the sun and got a little too excited.
      08-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

We drove to Mount Victoria (Blue Mountains) on our last drive day with the roof off with the temp gauge showing 7.5 deg..

Just have the windows up, wind diffuser up, heated seats on our ass, and a nice wool cap and scarf...awesome feeling..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 03:51 AM   #6
CeeJay
Private
Rep
Drives:

I was given a silver 135 vert for the day when I got my one year service done recently.
Seeming it was a lovely 26 degree day I didn't complain too much, just drove around with the top down most of the day and enjoyed that exhaust note.
Very nice car, but you really notice the difference the extra weight makes.
Appreciate 0