BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
doritos123
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Performance Edition

E87 Differential Problems

2011 E87 hatchback N43 2L engine

I am a young driver and like most, I like to push my car to the limits, the occasional handbrake turn, drifting, wheelspins, the usual idiot behaviour.

Last month I was driving late at night with friends and attempted a wheelspins start at the lights (which I've done hundreds of times) as soon as I dropped the clutch I heard a loud bang from underneath the car, just under the gearbox, and there was no drive at all. I put it in neutral and gave it a few seconds as I thought the clutch had overheated because it felt really loose. Tried to set off again (normally) and still the car wouldn't move an inch. As the clutch went to biting point, there was a horrible grinding noise from which I later found out was the diff, as if someone was prodding a metal fan blade with a screwdriver.

Now I've got this all sorted, the actual casing of the diff had cracked due to the gears inside just generally gave way and fucked up lol. My question now is what is the reason for this? The car has only done 40k miles, is this a common problem on BMWs/1 Series models? And how much of it was due to my erratic driving and how much was 'it was bound to happen eventually'

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

You were asking too much of the car. It's not designed for your level of abuse.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
doritos123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
You were asking too much of the car. It's not designed for your level of abuse.
Yeah kinda what I figured tbh. Also in the week or two running up to the incident, I've been driving with TC off, something I never used to do on a regular basis. In general, is having the TC off going to be bad for the diff and other such components? No erratic manoeuvres just day to day driving but maybe a bit more aggressive than usual.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 04:28 AM   #4
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doritos123 View Post
Yeah kinda what I figured tbh. Also in the week or two running up to the incident, I've been driving with TC off, something I never used to do on a regular basis. In general, is having the TC off going to be bad for the diff and other such components? No erratic manoeuvres just day to day driving but maybe a bit more aggressive than usual.
Given your lack of respect for other road users, yes, it is very bad for your car to drive around with all electronic aids disabled.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
doritos123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
Given your lack of respect for other road users, yes, it is very bad for your car to drive around with all electronic aids disabled.

Haha I didn't mean aggressive towards other drivers, just meant I'd push the car a bit harder, more harsh acceleration and braking, that kind of thing. But never knew that such small differences in driving makes such an impact on the health of the car. I'll be sure to be more cautious in the future!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
skyscraper_g80
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
If you're regularly doing clutch dumps, handbrake turns etc. on a stock car without any mods/reinforced parts, then you'll significantly increase the chance of something giving way (as you experienced).

If you want to drive aggressively, take it to a controlled environment like a track or skidpan
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #7
doritos123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution42 View Post
If you're regularly doing clutch dumps, handbrake turns etc. on a stock car without any mods/reinforced parts, then you'll significantly increase the chance of something giving way (as you experienced).

If you want to drive aggressively, take it to a controlled environment like a track or skidpan
What kind of mods/reinforced parts would you recommend? For example I'm getting a 96 E34 525i which has an LSD as standard, anything I should be looking to add/change?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
[QUOTE=doritos123;18060138]Haha I didn't mean aggressive towards other drivers, ...QUOTE]

Aggressive driving including clutch dumps and handbrake turns are not good for those around you.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #9
Muggs
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i

Get off your high horse _Ryan_. Nannies like you are the reason its no longer fun to drive.
Appreciate 0