BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Stock 1M brakes vs Competiton (Brembo, Stoptech, etc..)

Hey guys,

Next summer I'm planning a few upgrades and am looking at brakes as an option so I'm trying to do my research now to learn as much as I can for when I make the purchase.

Does anyone have any numbers or some sort of comparison chart of stock brakes vs Stoptech or Brembo in terms of stopping power ie: 100-0 ft, etc.

I'd like to hear from those who have upgraded their brakes for either street or track as I'm not tracking my car at the moment but would like your input on wear and tear / longevity of them.

Also, would like to know what would be the first thing you would need to repair/replace in long term.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Stock brakes and aftermarket brakes will stop the same distance. you're limited by the tire, not the brakes.

the only benefit from upgrading brakes is to reduce pad fade during HPDE events, but usually you'll never fade pads unless you're in a high braking track environment, running stock pads, or not braking correctly.

stick with stock, it'll save you money in the long run
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
Hey guys,

Next summer I'm planning a few upgrades and am looking at brakes as an option so I'm trying to do my research now to learn as much as I can for when I make the purchase.

Does anyone have any numbers or some sort of comparison chart of stock brakes vs Stoptech or Brembo in terms of stopping power ie: 100-0 ft, etc.

I'd like to hear from those who have upgraded their brakes for either street or track as I'm not tracking my car at the moment but would like your input on wear and tear / longevity of them.

Also, would like to know what would be the first thing you would need to repair/replace in long term.
BBK's will not give you a shorter stopping distance alone(at least not in a one stop situation, in multiple high speed stops the benefits will start to be more obvious), but with better tires you may see shorter distances.

With larger pad surface and larger rotors(bigger heat sinks), you are able to keep the overall brake temps down, that will always prolong the life of both pads and rotors.

In the long term with OE brakes you have pads and rotors are two of the most common consumables. And if you are looking for a slight upgrade and take off about 4 lbs of unsprung weight, have a look at the PFC DD 2-piece rotors.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
BBK's will not give you a shorter stopping distance alone(at least not in a one stop situation, in multiple high speed stops the benefits will start to be more obvious), but with better tires you may see shorter distances.

With larger pad surface and larger rotors(bigger heat sinks), you are able to keep the overall brake temps down, that will always prolong the life of both pads and rotors.

In the long term with OE brakes you have pads and rotors are two of the most common consumables. And if you are looking for a slight upgrade and take off about 4 lbs of unsprung weight, have a look at the PFC DD 2-piece rotors.
Sounds good! Appreciate the feedback on this. So it's probably not a viable upgrade to do if I'm not tracking the car..sounds like stock pads and rotors will last me quite some time. I mean, if I had the cash to throw around I would get them for purely aesthetic reasons and the occasional autocrossing.
Appreciate 0