05-26-2011, 03:14 AM   #67
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Guys lets all take a chill pill here, The Cayman S, R or what ever designation will be a great car of that i have no doubt But the facts are the facts about the 1M in that BMW M has actually managed to do something a little special with this car I think BMW M may have found something to please both the BMW purist and the new to M brand owner.

Just my view and at the end of the day we are all passionate about great cars or else we wouldnt be on the forum. Lets face it we are discussing 2 fantastic cars in this thread Either of which will allow all of us to share our passion if you are fortunate enough to have the personal budget to buy them.

Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 03:28 AM   #68
techthentic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, 370z

Reading this thread, IMHO
1) If you think the 1M is a legitimately better car than the Cayman R (driving dynamics/performance wise, not the "it's got a backseat!" nonsense), you need a reality check.
2) If you think the 1M is not a legitimately better car because theres NO WAY a lowly BMW could be in the same league as a Porsche (driving dynamics/performance wise), you also need a reality check. Very obviously, the 1M can hold it's own when playing with the big boys on a track.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 03:33 AM   #69
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Good that everyone has a view and I can understand that if I owned a Cayman or had one on order that I would back it but the fact remains there is a new kid on the block and the 1M is a very exciting new car that the journalists say is quicker than the Cayman R in everyday use. The Cayman may be a tad quicker on the track but I am probably not a good enough driver to exploit it and for the majority of us most of the mileage will be done on the road. Where the 1 M will leave it for dead- not my words just those who have tested them side by side.

I love Porsche but gave up buying them last year as the price of options was getting expensive-and in the UK Porsche offered an inferior warranty to BMW. Certainly my cars had a few visits to the workshop Porsche wanted to fleece you if you wanted to match the BMW warranty. I also found their dealers got greedy on part ex prices.

If anyone has a 1M on order you will not be disappointed. I prefer it to my recent 997S.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 03:36 AM   #70
biggles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3/1M (ordered)

This video has just turned up on the Autocar (UK) website, the guy is steve sutcliffe who really knows his stuff!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/b...eview-feature/

http://bcove.me/l5yg9wqs
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 04:15 AM   #71
pride355
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY11 E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuban335i View Post
A/C and radio are no cost options that most cayman R's have. Do some research before saying things. I wouldn't buy a car without a/c or radio either. And the added weight from adding those can be mitigated by adding the lightweight Battery
No, they are "cost" option. Actually you have to pay for A/C and Radio in Cayman R unlike 911 GT3 RS and M3 GTS, at least in Europa. So you end up with a hefty premium over Cayman S.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 04:38 AM   #72
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

In the Uk having looked at the Porsche website

Bi Xenon lights £1060
Lightweight battery £1295
Air Con £1040
Navigation £1986
Sound System £1000
3rd year warranty £800!!!!!

The list of options is endless. I would say a similar spec car to the 1M is £15k more expensive
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #73
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pride355 View Post
No, they are "cost" option. Actually you have to pay for A/C and Radio in Cayman R unlike 911 GT3 RS and M3 GTS, at least in Europa. So you end up with a hefty premium over Cayman S.
Actually I don't think so.
If you call the dealer and ask there is a no-cost a/c and radio option. I could not find these on the web when I looked but when I called they were there.
The cost options are the "Premium" options.

ooops let the cat out of the bag...

So yea, I have a dirty secret.
My choices are between:
1M
Cayman R
Exige S

The M and Exige are the best bang for the buck in that order.And while the Cayman is obviously a better racer stock, as I said above I don't live close enough to a track to make use of that often enough. The Cayman's fun IMHO is at high speed (60+) in corners, but both 1M and Exige offer two different types of every day enjoyment.
1M - Madness in power/torque.
Exige S - Just the raw connectedness to the road like no car (including the Cayman S) can touch.

To me the Cayman is the middle ground here (not performance wise, but driving please wise. Its kind of the best of both worlds but damps them both down a bit and I loose some everyday driving thrill there.

I need to make my choice soon as the deal is ready to deal now, but sadly I can't make up my mind.
Ultra light weight street machine that kills me to get in and out of? (That I always wanted)
Awesome cool car that is very fast and has some luxury. (That I kind of fell in love with)

Anyone else have any good thoughts on my problem?

I'm leaning heavily for the 1M as service is local and not a 3 hour drive (like porsche and lotus), but a part of me cannot give up on the Lotus.
The porsche, while awesome and beautiful, just isn't worth the extra duckets to me. However a good deal can be had on a 2008 or 2009 new lotus.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #74
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
If you call the dealer and ask there is a no-cost a/c and radio option. I could not find these on the web when I looked but when I called they were there.

My choices are between:
1M
Cayman R
Exige S

The M and Exige are the best bang for the buck in that order.And while the Cayman is obviously a better racer stock, as I said above I don't live close enough to a track to make use of that often enough. The Cayman's fun IMHO is at high speed (60+) in corners, but both 1M and Exige offer two different types of every day enjoyment.
Exige S - Just the raw connectedness to the road like no car (including the Cayman S) can touch.

To me the Cayman is the middle ground here (not performance wise, but driving please wise. Its kind of the best of both worlds but damps them both down a bit and I loose some everyday driving thrill there.

I need to make my choice soon as the deal is ready to deal now, but sadly I can't make up my mind.
Ultra light weight street machine that kills me to get in and out of? (That I always wanted)
Awesome cool car that is very fast and has some luxury. (That I kind of fell in love with)

I'm leaning heavily for the 1M as service is local and not a 3 hour drive (like porsche and lotus), but a part of me cannot give up on the Lotus.
The porsche, while awesome and beautiful, just isn't worth the extra duckets to me. However a good deal can be had on a 2008 or 2009 new lotus.
Will this be your daily driver as well? If so, I would take the Exige off the list.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #75
JJSchmooze
I'm on that Orange Crush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe VOP ZCV ZPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuban335i View Post
Oh god... Not another one of these reviews that the BMW wins due to it's daily drivability..

The Porsche is leagues better than the 1M performance wise.. For example: the Cayman R laps Hockenheim in 1:12.4 (which is faster than a M3 GTS, Ferrari f430, Audi R8 V10, Porsche 911 GTS with PDK, And obviously the M3 and 1M). THE 1M GOES AROUND IN 1:14.1.

Give me a break.. You are comparing sports cars and their performance capabilities are not the most heavily weighted characteristics? Sure the Cayman R is more expensive, but it's also faster than BMW's most expensive M3 GTS around the track..

This comparison is a joke, I would take the cayman r any day over the 1M. I would actually never buy the 1M but would buy the cayman r if it's replacement wasn't coming out next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphab View Post
Nice! Yet another "How to justify that I didn't want to buy a Porsche (because I couldn't)"-review
Why not comparing the 1M to the F458? Hell, is the 1M a bargain!

@cuban335i:
Quote:
You're right. So order the A/C and radio back in, where's the problem?
Oh wait. Too expensive?

I get the point!
Quote:
@Mowse: Congrats and funny, same here
You're getting a black edition S or a standard one? Did you order the sports exhaust and short shifter? A must have!
And don't worry, you won't regret anything. Funniest thing I noticed when I cancelled my 1M and ordered the Porsche: Girls don't care about BMWs and stuff, but they do care about Porsches. Don't know why though, but who cares
And another thing I noticed: At least the Porsche forums I'm reading, it's not always the versus, versus, versus. People enjoy their cars and are happy for eachother. Great thing! Can't wait

Why shouldn't you be able to live with a Cayman on a day to day basis? That's exactly what makes this car so great, that you have space and that you can use it as a daily driver. The point is that the Cayman still is a real sportscar, where the 1M is a sportscoupé. But there's no right or wrong, worse or better involved here.

What people are able to use as a daily driver is one's personal choice anyway. No test in the world can prove or disprove anything regarding this topic. I see cars like GT3 RS or a Ferraris in a parking lots in a shopping center here, so if they can use it for shopping, what sense does it make trying to prove them wrong?

It's ones very personal choice. I'm just saying: If you are really able and willing to afford a CR, you would be willing to accept the loss in comfortability and reach out for the gain in sportyness. And I'm not talking about 1 second faster on a track. [COLOR="Red"]I'm talking about pure emotions when you starting to push that throttle in that car and rev that machine to over 7'000 rpm. Tell me what you want, no way an 1M can deliver that feeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberry View Post
You are such an idiot if you really believe in this statement and should not call yourself an enthusiast. Each car in the porsche lineup shines in its own right. The cayman is all about handling and being able to take corners at insane speeds. The 911 is about a rear engined platform with a powerful engine to boot. They each have something special.

That's like saying people bought the m3 because they could not afford the m3. lol.

Plus, I would not be pointing fingers about who is being a wanna be because many can point out that the 1M is just a wannabe m3. LOL! Think before you speak.
Since my intellegence has now also been called into question, I figured I would remind everyone of the ridiculous comments by a few in this thread. After reading above, most would conclude that the consensus of the individuals above are, and this is exactly from there posts:

1) You should buy a Porsche because women like them better than BMW's

2) If you bought a 1M (as I did), I am just a wannabe that couldn't afford the Porsche, but buying a Cayman doesn't make you a wannabe for not buying the 911.

3) Basically, you are a wannabe if you purchase a 1M.

Wow, all this is gathered on a forum, that if my knowledge serves me correct is a 1M forum. Very interesting, but then again I am the stupid one, I bought a 1M. Let me go now, so I could cry in my cereal

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.” Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by JJSchmooze; 05-26-2011 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Highlighting points.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #76
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

My choices are between:
1M
Cayman R
Exige S

Agree with mr. Roboto... Even if it's not a daily driver... Take a test drive from the dealer 3 hours away, to your home, and then back again... then see how you feel about the lotus if you have to take in in for service? Has the exhaust issue been resolved on that car?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #77
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I can tell you from personal experience that the Exige is not a suitable daily driver. The seats are fixed (agonizing on long trips), ingress/egress is extreme, you can't really see traffic lights if you're first in line, no such thing as a door ding - only a $5k fiberglass repair, so small and low that you are almost constantly getting run off the road, no rear visibility, hand-made by the British, I can go on and on. However, even after all of that, if it's a second vehicle, there is no more direct road to driver communication this side of a Formula1 car.

Even between 135i and Exige, I would take the 1er. If the Cayman is too much of a track car then you need to stay miles away from the Exige. It's just overkill for street use. I would go 1M all day long.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #78
Mowse
Private
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise SC

@JJSchmooze: I don't question your intelligence. I do question your class. I see no one putting down the 1M. I nearly bought one and am a big enough fan of the car that I continue to read and post here. If you read my post you'll see I was quite complimentary of the car.

Your implication that Cayman S drivers are "wannabees" who can't afford a 911 is off the mark. I own a Lexus and a Jaguar as well as my CS and can petty much afford a 911 without much problem. I pay cash for all my cars. I chose a CS as simply like it better for several reasons.

Lighten up with your vitrol. This is a car enthusiest discussion. Not a BMW only site. If someones opinion differs from yours accept it like a grown up.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #79
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Not sure about the US but we are getting the Cayman Black edition here in Aus, Cayman R engine tweaks and lowered suspension on 19's. Same money as a S with the specs of a R (with a bit more weight of course) In Aus it means a saving of about US$22k Black S versus R. Quoted 0-100 is 0.1 secs slower, big deal.

Problem is if you don't like a black car... move on
I am going to get a preowned Gen2. Driving a 2nd hand with less than 30k on odometer is not an issue for me and it a far better bargain than 1M at 50k before tax? Old vs. new is subjective and controversial but makes sense to me.
      05-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #80
cchui369
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi M Performance Ed.

I'm an actual case. I was on the list for a 1M with a paid deposit. I was so excited. But in the end, I cancelled my order, got my deposit refunded and ended up in a Cayman S.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #81
techthentic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, 370z

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Agree with mr. Roboto... Even if it's not a daily driver... Take a test drive from the dealer 3 hours away, to your home, and then back again... then see how you feel about the lotus if you have to take in in for service? Has the exhaust issue been resolved on that car?
Lol, totally agree with you and Mr.Roboto on this one

A while back, I had my heart set on an Exige S.
I must have visited that dealership 12 times.
After I finally convinced myself, that over time I would get a hang of crawling in and out of the car, and to ignore my gf and friends' cries that they would hate getting in and out of that thing. I finally took a test drive.

Man was it a blast. But it was back breaking (I like back breaking, but this was overkill), loud, and I nearly got run over by a pickup and a SUV changing into my lane. As a daily driver, there was no way.

The Cayman S could definitely pull off daily driver duties for me, but alas, with options, way out of my price range.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #82
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have a Lotus and they are fairly simple to work on. Toyota motor and gearbox, so after you learn some of the basic quirks, they are easy to maintain. I have a non-Lotus mechanic do all my work. It has been as reliable as all the BMWs in my family, knock on wood.

You can daily drive a Lotus by why would you? They are best on mountain roads and the race track, which is how I use mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #83
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I don't see anyone doubting the reliability of the Toyota lump in the Lotus. I worked on mine myself and it was quite straight forward and actually pretty fun. It's just too fragile of a car to drive on the daily.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #84
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchui369 View Post
I'm an actual case. I was on the list for a 1M with a paid deposit. I was so excited. But in the end, I cancelled my order, got my deposit refunded and ended up in a Cayman S.
You cancelled your order based on what? Not personal experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #85
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Nearest dealer = nearest track to me too!

So thats a 3 hour ride to the track when i get a chance... someday.

But wow, such feedback on the exige.
I love it because there is no better road communication in a road car.
I hate it for the same reason.

It would be a DD for a small while. (Till fall)
Then I would have to buy a 3rd winter car.

I too have convinced myself - I could put up with it on a daily basis... the seats aren't so bad, neither is loosing all dignity and crawling out.... that's manly right?

I have driven one and I know everything everyone said...Yes still it is just pure awesome driving in a can.

<sigh> If only I have enough money for both =)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #86
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchui369 View Post
I would like to know what made you change your mind, if you don't mind me asking?

I love the Cayman for looks and handling but every time I convince myself then I drive one I just feel left wanting.

So good to me, that its to tame almost everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #87
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Nearest dealer = nearest track to me too!

So thats a 3 hour ride to the track when i get a chance... someday.

But wow, such feedback on the exige.
I love it because there is no better road communication in a road car.
I hate it for the same reason.

It would be a DD for a small while. (Till fall)
Then I would have to buy a 3rd winter car.

I too have convinced myself - I could put up with it on a daily basis... the seats aren't so bad, neither is loosing all dignity and crawling out.... that's manly right?

I have driven one and I know everything everyone said...Yes still it is just pure awesome driving in a can.

<sigh> If only I have enough money for both =)

Ugh... three hours to your home track... yuk... that would be a brutal 3 hr drive ride home on Sunday after a HPDE weekend.. If it's going to be an alternate vehicle... as others have suggested.. that's probably the best option for an Elise/Exige is as a secondary vehicle.. Sounds like you have enough experience with the Lotus to make an informed decision..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 05-26-2011 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #88
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've been on a 6 hr drive in mine...IMO it's not a fatiguing car to drive on the freeway. But I have an adjustable suspension and the Elise's softop may absorb some of the noise. I also live in SoCal. For Vancouver, no way you can DD 12 months out of the year.
Appreciate 0