05-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #89
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
The longest drive I took was a tick over 3 hours and the seats are just not designed for it. My back was definitely feeling it after hour 2 and I owned it from my 25th birthday to just before my 27th so it's not like I'm a senior citizen.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #90
cchui369
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi M Performance Ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
You cancelled your order based on what? Not personal experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
I would like to know what made you change your mind, if you don't mind me asking?

I love the Cayman for looks and handling but every time I convince myself then I drive one I just feel left wanting.

So good to me, that its to tame almost everywhere.
No problem guys. Note: I may not be representative of most people on this board.

My choice does not reflect the 1M missing anything. It is one hell of a car, don't get me wrong. It's perfect for me...except it's missing the refinement of a Porsche. My decision to take the Porsche is purely brand image. In my line of work, it's not the best idea to be seen in a "boy racer" with flared fenders.

As we all know, the 1M is less expensive than a Cayman S and therefore is harder to compare. In this case the 1M looks like a better purchase for someone in that price range. However, I got an amazing deal on the Porsche, making the leases payments equal to what I would have paid on the 1M. Putting that into consideration, the Porsche is a no-brainer. That being said, had the Porsche been retail priced, I would have stayed with the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 06:04 AM   #91
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchui369 View Post
No problem guys. Note: I may not be representative of most people on this board.

My choice does not reflect the 1M missing anything. It is one hell of a car, don't get me wrong. It's perfect for me...except it's missing the refinement of a Porsche. My decision to take the Porsche is purely brand image. In my line of work, it's not the best idea to be seen in a "boy racer" with flared fenders.

As we all know, the 1M is less expensive than a Cayman S and therefore is harder to compare. In this case the 1M looks like a better purchase for someone in that price range. However, I got an amazing deal on the Porsche, making the leases payments equal to what I would have paid on the 1M. Putting that into consideration, the Porsche is a no-brainer. That being said, had the Porsche been retail priced, I would have stayed with the 1M.
Wouldn't call the 1M a boy racer car. What line of work are you in?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #92
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Wouldn't call the 1M a boy racer car. What line of work are you in?
I see his point with boy racer image. As a young professional, I too am contemplating the way the 1M would reflect on me if parked alongside some much more conservative cars in the work parking lot - especially in VO.

But if your not a lawyer, the porsche can seem a prick car

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #93
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I am on the opposite side of the fence wit this one. I like the CS but find them all too common these days. If I am going to drop $70k on a car I want it to stand out in to some degree. That is why I like the 1M...not too much flash, like an STI for example, but enough to get noticed. Personally I would feel more embarrassed climbing out of a Porsche then a 1M in my line of work..especially a two seater.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #94
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

So while we are talking about this....
I agree in my line of work being seen in either (where I live) may look "snooty".
Both are expensive cars, and the people I generally work with could not afford either.

I think the 1M looks less snooty because there is no Porsche factor, and most people will not recognize it for what it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #95
SDSmurf
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX

For me, the 'boy racer'-type car was a normal model being modified to look (and occasionally be) fast. So that fits with the 1M imo. My Dad is contemplating the Cayman S or 1M; he prefers the looks of the Porsche, but also considers the huge possibility that the 1M will just be better and more fun on the road.

But while he personally likes the look of the 1M, he does think it'd be a negative when going to his clients. And considering he's clever enough to own a company successful enough to afford things like this, I think he knows what he's talking about.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #96
cchui369
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat View Post
I see his point with boy racer image. As a young professional, I too am contemplating the way the 1M would reflect on me if parked alongside some much more conservative cars in the work parking lot - especially in VO.

But if your not a lawyer, the porsche can seem a prick car
Exacto mundo. I am a young professional and it would have been hard to park a VO 1M next to E and S classes without looking like a rebel.

In fact, I had told one of my clients that I was purchasing the 1M and he looked at me with a wierd face. That was the turning point. Then when he saw the Porsche, he asked for a ride.

I'm in private wealth management (I manage money) and my clients are older conservative individuals. Perception is everything. I would even go for a E63 AMG, but that's outside my price range.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #97
cchui369
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

But don't get me wrong. I LOVE the 1M!

It was purely a business decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #98
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Glad I can buy the car I want to drive and have fun in and not worry about how it looks to other people.

As for a business decision, instead of being...just another investment banker, driving a Porsche (my guess is its black or grey) why not be the guy in the orange BMW?

If you explained to your clients that 1M may not be the prettiest car out there but its all-around usability and exclusivity mean it will carry value better in the future, whereas the Porsche is a good deal now, be lots of fun but in the long run will be worth a fraction of what it is today. Think of the 1M as a solid mutual fund and the Porsche as silver.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #99
cchui369
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Glad I can buy the car I want to drive and have fun in and not worry about how it looks to other people.

As for a business decision, instead of being...just another investment banker, driving a Porsche (my guess is its black or grey) why not be the guy in the orange BMW?

If you explained to your clients that 1M may not be the prettiest car out there but its all-around usability and exclusivity mean it will carry value better in the future, whereas the Porsche is a good deal now, be lots of fun but in the long run will be worth a fraction of what it is today. Think of the 1M as a solid mutual fund and the Porsche as silver.
It's actually red.

I don't need to justify the purchase of any car. I just want the right perception. If you were my demographic, you'd understand. I still make fun of Porsche and their 27 variations of 911s, ridiculous options pricing, and engine in the wrong place, even if I own one. I am way more a BMW fanboy. This was 1000% business decision.

One more thing: you can never compare a car to an investment. A car is a depreciating asset, no matter how you look at it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #100
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's actually red.

I don't need to justify the purchase of any car. I just want the right perception. If you were my demographic, you'd understand. I still make fun of Porsche and their 27 variations of 911s, ridiculous options pricing, and engine in the wrong place, even if I own one. I am way more a BMW fanboy. This was 1000% business decision.

One more thing: you can never compare a car to an investment. A car is a depreciating asset, no matter how you look at it.
What demographic? You and I are probably closer then you think.

Of course a car isn't an investment. My sad attempt of a comparison didn't work I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #101
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuban335i View Post
A/C and radio are no cost options that most cayman R's have.
Radio is free, but Porsche will charge you for a/c.

It would be nice if a/c was a no cost option, but if you go to the Porsche website a/c on the cayman r is a $1760 option.

Last edited by e92_m3; 05-27-2011 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 06:01 AM   #102
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
Radio is free, but Porsche will charge you for a/c.

It would be nice if a/c was a no cost option, but if you go to the Porsche website a/c on the cayman r is a $1760 option.
Call the dealer the a/c is free too, just not on the web site.
The dealer I spoke with said the basic a/c is free the one on the web site is full climate control, so Premium A/C.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 06:05 AM   #103
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
You can daily drive a Lotus by why would you?
If Im spending money on a car, then I want to make the most of my money and drive it daily. And if I could put up with it, I'd have a huge grin on my face every day.
(And most likely a very happy chiropractor)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #104
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:

It's actually red.

Dismissive and incorrect. First off, a car CAN be an investment. Buy a mint condition e36 m3 lightweight, or an E30 M3, and park it in the garage and come back I 5 years and it will be worth more money than today. TYPICALLY, a car is a depreciating assett, but not ALWAYS. Mr. Roboto made a good analogy, because even when considering a depreciating asset, some items depreciate more than others. I don't know about the rest of you, but I would prefer that my car also depreciates as little as possible while providing me with transportation and maximum enjoyment. Compare a 135 vs an 1M. Both with same mileage and both with same care. Which one will depreciate less over time? Price no object, The 1M is the better purchase. Perhaps not the better value, but Indeed, the better investment.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #105
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Call the dealer the a/c is free too, just not on the web site.
The dealer I spoke with said the basic a/c is free the one on the web site is full climate control, so Premium A/C.
I see I see. Thanks for the clarification man!
Appreciate 0