BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #67
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Slamming a car doesn't always improve handling. In some or most cases, lowering a car too much will actually hinder performance and may actually result in possible damage to suspension components and accelerated wear on tyres.

All of the mounting points and suspension arms, angles etc were designed to work at stock or near stock heights (probably within 1" due to normal compression of springs when loading a car). Slam a car and everything is pulled out of alignment. Too much toe, too much camber, not enough suspension travel, angled axle shafts etc etc.
+1 slamming just seems to be the new trend (for reasons I am unsure of).....
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #68
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechavore884
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Slamming a car doesn't always improve handling. In some or most cases, lowering a car too much will actually hinder performance and may actually result in possible damage to suspension components and accelerated wear on tyres.

All of the mounting points and suspension arms, angles etc were designed to work at stock or near stock heights (probably within 1" due to normal compression of springs when loading a car). Slam a car and everything is pulled out of alignment. Too much toe, too much camber, not enough suspension travel, angled axle shafts etc etc.
+1 slamming just seems to be the new trend (for reasons I am unsure of).....
Well 2 reasons usually. The first is for "looks". It's personally not my thing but each to their own. The second is for a lower centre of gravity. It's true that a lower centre if gravity will improve handling but only if the suspension is designed for that.
      10-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #69
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

hahah yeah I guess your right. Some will believe form over function
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #70
vampire81
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C / '19 ZL1

a lot or road humps here so no way i'm lowering the car. in fact, for looks, the wheels fill the fenders just right in my car.
coilovers will be over kill for me.
anybody replaced shocks only? i'm afraid of stiffening the ride with springs

Yokohama AD08 anyone? ``
      10-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #71
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire81 View Post
a lot or road humps here so no way i'm lowering the car. in fact, for looks, the wheels fill the fenders just right in my car.
coilovers will be over kill for me.
anybody replaced shocks only? i'm afraid of stiffening the ride with springs

Yokohama AD08 anyone? ``
You could always just get some Koni Yellows and Swift Spec R springs. That will not lower your car significantly more but will give you the best ride/comfort combination!

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #72
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

I'm running them and the ride is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
You could always just get some Koni Yellows and Swift Spec R springs. That will not lower your car significantly more but will give you the best ride/comfort combination!

-Mike
Great combo
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #73
bselim3
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 6mt

OP, did you ever end up installing new shocks and springs? In curious to hear how this ended up. I'm looking to do some similar suspension mods this spring and I need to decide what I want to do. I've got about a $2k limit and I'm trying to decide what I want to install: Rear subframe bushings, koni struts, swift springs, front control arms, and tires ( I have to ditch the runflats). I have a 2012 with no mods, it's a daily driver, and I want to address the bounce/wheel hop while keeping the ride comfortable.

I look forward to hearing how it worked out for you!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #74
vampire81
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C / '19 ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bselim3 View Post
OP, did you ever end up installing new shocks and springs? In curious to hear how this ended up. I'm looking to do some similar suspension mods this spring and I need to decide what I want to do. I've got about a $2k limit and I'm trying to decide what I want to install: Rear subframe bushings, koni struts, swift springs, front control arms, and tires ( I have to ditch the runflats). I have a 2012 with no mods, it's a daily driver, and I want to address the bounce/wheel hop while keeping the ride comfortable.

I look forward to hearing how it worked out for you!
no i didn't put on shocks/springs.
all i did is M3 sub frame bushings, control arms (front/rear). with this, wheel hop was reduced a lot.

i say change your tires before doing anything