BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-20-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
E82IsTheWay!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Help With Bi-Xenon Retrofit

Hi so i'm in the process of getting a new car, but i'm giving my 128i to a family member.My current halogen headlights are not in the best condition. I have had two bi-xenon headlights for sometime now, but just never got the opportunity to install them as of now. To make the car a little better i want to install these headlights. As of now i only have the headlights, with the ballast and the bulbs.

I was reading the forums for help, but it was very confusing.
What i have taken away from it is that i need a new footwell module because my car is a 2008 model, but with a few tricks i can get it to work on the current footwell module .

any help is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #2
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Unfortunately you will need a new footwell module. You will order need the retrofit harness or your can make one your self. You will also need new tail lights.

Also depending on where you live, HID headlights are required to have headlight washers.

I did this on my first 1er, if you need help just PM. Personally, i think you should just get your halogens refinished - its a lot easier.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf xenon (5).pdf (790.2 KB, 215 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
Velomobile
Rep
Drives: AW-F32-N55

That looks pretty challenging to be honest. I'm in the process of retrofitting high end bi-xenon projectors into my halogen's but using existing electrical infrastructure (+extra relay to run the HID ballast load on a separate circuit)

If I were you and wanted to forgo the custom build aspect of the bi-xenon headlight itself ... I would try to use existing Bi-Xenon replacement set you have, find the harness that fits into it to power accessory lighting (halo, side marker / signals etc.) off a junk car, and then re-wire the stock one to it.

From there just direct wire the D1S bulb via a separate aftermarket relay / ballast system drawn off the factory low beam load, give up the auto-level & adaptive (exotic cars don't use 'em because it creates way more headlight flicker w/o :] ) and call it a day!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #4
E82IsTheWay!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velomobile View Post
That looks pretty challenging to be honest. I'm in the process of retrofitting high end bi-xenon projectors into my halogen's but using existing electrical infrastructure (+extra relay to run the HID ballast load on a separate circuit)

If I were you and wanted to forgo the custom build aspect of the bi-xenon headlight itself ... I would try to use existing Bi-Xenon replacement set you have, find the harness that fits into it to power accessory lighting (halo, side marker / signals etc.) off a junk car, and then re-wire the stock one to it.

From there just direct wire the D1S bulb via a separate aftermarket relay / ballast system drawn off the factory low beam load, give up the auto-level & adaptive (exotic cars don't use 'em because it creates way more headlight flicker w/o :] ) and call it a day!
to be honest the retrofit wasn't that bad. You essentially just run about 3 wires to the footwell module, replace for a new footwell module frm 3. Lastly you code the vehicle. that was it, everything works.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #5
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

I got 2/3rds of the way there. I added the extra ground and swapped in the FRM. I was able to get the xenons to function without flickering, but still need to program everything. My old win 98 laptop died so I have no way to code it now. All in all, it looks a lot worse than it is I think.

Once I can code it, I will give it another try.

I was planning to code out the adaptive feature as I have the euro spec lights.
Appreciate 0