BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #1343
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
ok, serious questions here

1) do you know what knocking is?

2) why would you still ask if running this is a good idea after your tuner tells you it will cause the engine to knock?
1) I wont even answer that...

2) I asked if anyone else has ran their tune the way I asked to see if there was a benefit in doing so with the higher octane fuel in a 1/4 mile run. COBB told me that with the regular 93 octane fuel and the stock intercooler "could possible cause knocking and that running 100 octane would be a safer bet, but they have not tried it to see if there would be much of a performance gain to be worth it"

So, serious question for you:

Do you have an answer? No? Then dont troll around with post asking questions that are not advancing the conversation in a positive direction.

Its not a big deal if no one has done it. I was merly asking if anyone had. Its not as serious as you think...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #1344
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
1) I wont even answer that...

2) I asked if anyone else has ran their tune the way I asked to see if there was a benefit in doing so with the higher octane fuel in a 1/4 mile run. COBB told me that with the regular 93 octane fuel and the stock intercooler "could possible cause knocking and that running 100 octane would be a safer bet, but they have not tried it to see if there would be much of a performance gain to be worth it"

So, serious question for you:

Do you have an answer? No? Then dont troll around with post asking questions that are not advancing the conversation in a positive direction.

Its not a big deal if no one has done it. I was merly asking if anyone had. Its not as serious as you think...
you asked if it was a good idea. imo, its not, and i really dont understand how it would be a good idea.

you asked your tuner if they thought it was a good idea, they tell you A) it hasnt been tested and B) it will possibly cause knock / detonation.

theres your answer, dont do it. detonation is never a good thing in any way shape or form.

perhaps im old school, but i would rather my cars setup be over-prepared for the conditions, rather than underprepared and run it anyway and "see what happens". the smart thing to do is to get the equipment required to properly run the setup you are interested in.

if you ran it and had detonation events which according to you "arent as big a deal as you think" and you log detonation events you have no idea what that is doing to your engine or car long or short term. if that doesnt bother you, ok. but i can tell you it sure would bother me.

good luck
      08-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #1345
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
you asked if it was a good idea. imo, its not, and i really dont understand how it would be a good idea.

you asked your tuner if they thought it was a good idea, they tell you A) it hasnt been tested and B) it will possibly cause knock / detonation.

theres your answer, dont do it. detonation is never a good thing in any way shape or form.

perhaps im old school, but i would rather my cars setup be over-prepared for the conditions, rather than underprepared and run it anyway and "see what happens". the smart thing to do is to get the equipment required to properly run the setup you are interested in.

if you ran it and had detonation events which according to you "arent as big a deal as you think" and you log detonation events you have no idea what that is doing to your engine or car long or short term. if that doesnt bother you, ok. but i can tell you it sure would bother me.

good luck
When the hell did I EVER say detonation isn’t a big deal? Now you are just ignorant.

I asked because COBB TOLD ME to try it out with 100 octane if I wanted to. I’m pretty damn sure that is a green light coming from COBB who designed the tunes and strived for a more conservative approach in the first place.

I'm old school too. I ask both users and the tuner about different setups and their experiences. Kind of like what these forums were intended for in the first place. But i digress. Anyone that actually has ran this setup be my guest. Others like this guy don’t even bother...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #1346
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

My bad, you actually said "Not as serious as you think"

Good luck, seriously. Cobb is a great company with a good product.
      08-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #1347
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
When the hell did I EVER say detonation isn’t a big deal? Now you are just ignorant.

I asked because COBB TOLD ME to try it out with 100 octane if I wanted to. I’m pretty damn sure that is a green light coming from COBB who designed the tunes and strived for a more conservative approach in the first place.

I'm old school too. I ask both users and the tuner about different setups and their experiences. Kind of like what these forums were intended for in the first place. But i digress. Anyone that actually has ran this setup be my guest. Others like this guy don’t even bother...
To answer your original question even with 100 octane as hot as it's been this summer and I'm sure it's hot and humid as hell in Florida, running stage 1+ without an FMIC or meth to cool down IAT's you would not see much of a performance gain. The DME will make timing corrections based on IAT's and it will not care how much octane fuel you use.

You might be able to get away with this on one or two passes in the 1/4 mile or in the winter time, but I would not daily drive this map. If you take the time to reaseach on the forums other people's logs with the stock FMIC you'll see how quickly IAT's rise with the stock intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #1348
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon

Quote:
Has anyone tried running the stage 1 aggressive +intercooler tune on a stock car with factory intercooler?

Talked to cobb today and they said that the only problem they foresee is knocking in the engine and to use 100oct race fuel and you should be fine if I wanted to run the other tune. Not sure if anyone has done it or not or had any issues. Just curious of the outcome or if it is even a good idea... lol
I have a feeling from Cobb's response, you will be one of the very few to try this combination. Personally, I wouldn't try this with my car. But if you decide to do it, data log and let us see how it goes if you don't mind.
      08-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #1349
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

From guys that went from stage 2 to 2+ is it worth upgrading the intercooler in your opinions? I'm figuring 30-40whp difference from the 2+ and intercooler is this about accurate?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #1350
sluflyer06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i MT

Quote:

My question is why even attempt to run 1+ on a stock car? Our stock intercoolers are already substantially inadequate for stage 1. Any possible gains if you could even achieve them are small and the risks are large.
      08-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #1351
cloud_connected
Banned
Rep
Drives: ATR tuned N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluflyer06 View Post
My question is why even attempt to run 1+ on a stock car? Our stock intercoolers are already substantially inadequate for stage 1. Any possible gains if you could even achieve them are small and the risks are large.
The stock FMICs are not only inadequate but they are also very restrictive. The stock FMIC is a joke and it would be beneficial to be swapped out even on a stock vehicle.

To answer the question of running a stage 1+ map on a stock car for a 1/4 mile pass it is a bad idea and you won't see hardly any gains.

After sitting in line for several minutes(car on or off) your IATs will already be HOT before the run even starts and only get worse when you start trying to push +17psi through the stock IC. The DME will react by dialing back the timing and you'll probably be running negative timing advance by second gear.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #1352
cloud_connected
Banned
Rep

In all honesty the best thing you can do if you don't want to get an ugraded FMIC is to make your own ATR map or have a tuner make one for you. Here is a SUPER mild map i made for a boardmember running e85. Just a couple small changes netted a ~20whp difference. It's on VD so take it with a grain of salt. But it's the Same car, same setup, similar conditions using the same comparo tool.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #1353
f1rst 1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1 & '09 Cayman S

Does anyone have any hp/torque numbers for Stg 1+? I'm currently running Stg 1 and have the Rogue axleback but I'm thinking of getting a FMIC and probaly a DCI. I just want to make sure I'll "feel" the money I spend on it.....is there a noticeable difference between Stage 1 and 1+ FMIC?

2013 BMW 335i XDrive M Sport 6spd
Cobb Tuned '09 135i
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #1354
SalemChiro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1rst 1 View Post
Does anyone have any hp/torque numbers for Stg 1+? I'm currently running Stg 1 and have the Rogue axleback but I'm thinking of getting a FMIC and probaly a DCI. I just want to make sure I'll "feel" the money I spend on it.....is there a noticeable difference between Stage 1 and 1+ FMIC?

+1
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #1355
Gdubz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tanzanite M440i (Soon)

I've got to say that the firmware update and the maps that Cobb just put out make a world of difference. I was running Stg1 for the longest time because the Stg2 map felt more like Stg0... The latest Stg2 map actually feels stronger than Stg1 now, thank you Cobb!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #1356
Gimlet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i

Just a comment here - I've gone from Stage 1, to 1+, and am now running 2+ and there has been a perceivable difference each step of the way. Never ran just 2, as 1+ is supposedly almost as powerful (if not more)...

FMIC is def worth it -
      08-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #1357
WPG D33Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i vert Cobb Stage2

Is a 5" FMIC adequate for a daily driver or is the trimming worth it to fit a 7"?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #1358
cloud_connected
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPG D33Z View Post
Is a 5" FMIC adequate for a daily driver or is the trimming worth it to fit a 7"?
The 5" is fine for a DD. The larger cores are more for cars that are tracked regularly and see lap after lap of HARD driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #1359
cloud_connected
Banned
Rep

Hey guys, I have some ATR dyno numbers to share. The car base lined at 280rwhp/300rwtq and made 404rwhp/460rwtq using my ATR map. 125whp/160wtq delta is pretty good. There is still some room up top in the map to pick up some HP.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #1360
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_connected View Post
Hey guys, I have some ATR dyno numbers to share. The car base lined at 280rwhp/300rwtq and made 404rwhp/460rwtq using my ATR map. 125whp/160wtq delta is pretty good. There is still some room up top in the map to pick up some HP.
Awesome was this on pump only or E85 mix?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #1361
cloud_connected
Banned
Rep

93 and 50/50 meth
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #1362
eviled
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

WARNING!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had my yearly inspection done. With newer cars, the emissions is checked through the OBD2 port and not via the tail pipe/dyno like they use to do. I have a COBB tune and I had just reset it for a different grade of fuel. When ever you reflash/ disconnect the battery it clears some codes in the ecu and apparently the ecu is "not ready" for an emissions test so mine failed. The guy said that they needed to drive the car for a while to get the ecu ready. ( I think this is actually true) So 66 miles later after the kid beat the balls of my car, got some tacos, picked up his girffriend, did some burnouts, and baked the oil to my turbos, they were able to get it to pass emissions.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #1363
cloud_connected
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviled View Post
WARNING!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had my yearly inspection done. With newer cars, the emissions is checked through the OBD2 port and not via the tail pipe/dyno like they use to do. I have a COBB tune and I had just reset it for a different grade of fuel. When ever you reflash/ disconnect the battery it clears some codes in the ecu and apparently the ecu is "not ready" for an emissions test so mine failed. The guy said that they needed to drive the car for a while to get the ecu ready. ( I think this is actually true) So 66 miles later after the kid beat the balls of my car, got some tacos, picked up his girffriend, did some burnouts, and baked the oil to my turbos, they were able to get it to pass emissions.
Yes, some states do an OBD2 emissions readyness tests/scans. Clearing fault codes resets the test and the AP clears the codes whenever you change maps or uninstall.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #1364
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F48 X1 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_connected
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviled View Post
WARNING!!!

Yes, some states do an OBD2 emissions readyness tests/scans. Clearing fault codes resets the test and the AP clears the codes whenever you change maps or uninstall.
Wouldn't the BMS downpipe fix work for that? Or is this a more comprehensive emissions test?
Appreciate 0