Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
oh you definitely should be argumentative. Clearly Wild Bill hasn't driven an X5M or X6M
You are correct, it was just my lame attempt at humor.

WB
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #24
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
There is a space saver spare available through Leatherz for the 135.

I don't believe that it could fit a 1M tho
Should be easy to find a space saver for the 1M since the offsets are close to the 3 series. More problematic with a 135i. I have one, but I've haven't used it in 2+ years now.
      06-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #25
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
Thats because they were designed for "Soccer Moms" and not drivers.

WB

=

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNA_MGuy View Post
Not to be argumentative but my market data says otherwise. Very serious drivers are buying them.
hm, around here the only people who buy an x5m/x6m already got their e92m3, 997turbo and dbs in their garage - if you can only afford one car i think a serious driver would opt for another car

no offence, just my thoughts

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #26
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I believe in doing what makes you happy as long as it doesn't hurt others so if XMs make you happy fine BUT, I don't think real car people buy those. I know Dr. Kay loves it, but I think they are bunk and don't make any sense whatsoever. You start with the tallest and heaviest platform, add a ton of more weight to power them and stop them. Chop the back to make the semi aerodynamic so there is no cargo space and you end up with a 5000 lb monstrosity that does nothing well. It's not practical, not economical, can't carry much more than a regular 5 series, squanders gas like it was the 1930s and is not a serious car. Yes they are cool in a Tonka truck sorta way, no doubt, but not a real car guy car.

Finally, those that think that run flats are for serious car people, why are M cars the only cars that don't come with them standard? You think the M engineers just figured non-runflats are cheaper so they put those on the M cars? No sir, there is a performance reason for them, so real car guys today, don't want run-flats. Maybe soon they will be as good, but today, non-runflats and a spare is still the way to go for people that like to drive hard and venture past the 200 mile runflat zone.

I remember the first car and driver review of the 335i. BMW gave CD a 335i somewhere in Austria. They had a mishap and got a flat. There was no one for hundreds of miles that stocked the tire so BMW flew one in by helicopter. That won't happen for us.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #27
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
...that said i am going to put on michelin pilot sport cup+ on my 1M once the oem tires are gone - i wont be driving in the rain anyway - because i know from experience those tires suck when wet - and anyone else in any crappy car will be able to drive faster

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #28
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I believe in doing what makes you happy as long as it doesn't hurt others so if XMs make you happy fine BUT, I don't think real car people buy those. I know Dr. Kay loves it, but I think they are bunk and don't make any sense whatsoever. You start with the tallest and heaviest platform, add a ton of more weight to power them and stop them. Chop the back to make the semi aerodynamic so there is no cargo space and you end up with a 5000 lb monstrosity that does nothing well. It's not practical, not economical, can't carry much more than a regular 5 series, squanders gas like it was the 1930s and is not a serious car. Yes they are cool in a Tonka truck sorta way, no doubt, but not a real car guy car.

Finally, those that think that run flats are for serious car people, why are M cars the only cars that don't come with them standard? You think the M engineers just figured non-runflats are cheaper so they put those on the M cars? No sir, there is a performance reason for them, so real car guys today, don't want run-flats. Maybe soon they will be as good, but today, non-runflats and a spare is still the way to go for people that like to drive hard and venture past the 200 mile runflat zone.

I remember the first car and driver review of the 335i. BMW gave CD a 335i somewhere in Austria. They had a mishap and got a flat. There was no one for hundreds of miles that stocked the tire so BMW flew one in by helicopter. That won't happen for us.
All C6 Corvettes come with run flats, even the ZR1. The ZR1 has a much higher performance threshold than any of us can muster. So to say run flats are not for serious cars or drivers is a bit much. I think they have come a long way to equalling regular tires and should not be discounted so easily.
      06-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #29
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

My dad is purchasing an X6M soon and hes a former trans am driver with extended wheel time in cars such as a GT40 MK II, an SVT Boss 302, a Lamborghini Miura P400 SV, a 440 Jensen Interceptor III, and a Ferrari Daytona.

How do you explain him?

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #30
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
My dad is purchasing an X6M soon and hes a former trans am driver with extended wheel time in cars such as a GT40 MK II, an SVT Boss 302, a Lamborghini Miura P400 SV, a 440 Jensen Interceptor III, and a Ferrari Daytona.

How do you explain him?
LUCKY!!

Id buy an X6M for weekend trips to Mammoth or Tahoe... problem is I have no place to park it the other 340 days a year
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #31
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:

How do you explain him?
Retired or old car guys get X6Ms...does that work?

I don't know any serious car guy that wants to race that would get an X6M to compete? Did you dad get this to compete or just wants a really fast tank to carry golf bags? Even Dr Kay of BMW when defending the X6M said..."I love the X6M, when I leave the track (car) I can drive this awesome machine home." Point is, it is NOT a serious performance car. I would venture to say that if you ask your dad, and he is a real car guy as you say, would tell you the same thing.

Anyway, this is a waste of time, I never should've gotten involved but you keep putting down people's concern with run-flat for performance and ability to go off the grid on long drives.

I am off the grid on this one. Enjoy your run-flats, your 5000lbs truck and NAV of course because I'm sure you think that NAV and bluetooth make you go faster too.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #32
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

^those don't make you go faster.

But my trunk monkey does add 50 Wheel Horsepower

And for the record. Any car can be a performance car. I've seen guys autox everything from an 86 chevy station wagon to a Prius.

It doesn't matter what you drive and putting someone down for what they drive is kinda idiotic and lame (except ricers, they get no mercy)

Lord knows I've had enough of these arguments directed towards me and my vert

Last edited by BrokenVert; 06-20-2011 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 0