BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #23
Guildenstern
or Rosencrantz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 128i

Garage List
2008 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimini1 View Post
I recently traded a 2006 Miata for my 128i, I read where the 128 is a 4 seat Miata, all I can say so far is the 128 is vastly superior in almost every way to the Miata.
This is kind of like saying "I find apples to be vastly superior to flutes." While there is some overlap, these cars have very little in common from a use standpoint. The Miata is a roadster and the 128 is a four seat two door sports sedan (BMW's words.)

I've been shopping around for a 94-95 Miata as a toy/project. They feel like drastically different cars to me. One is light, and nimble, and feels like you are wearing it. The other is heavy, and solid, and feels like a tiny version of an old M5 or something.

The 128 has great all around functionality, it's a great all season, all weather car for both long or short trips, it keeps you engaged, but doesn't wear you out. But it's heavy, and you kinda feel bunkered in and up a bit too high.

As an only car though, it's fantastic. Great Multitasker.

But for seat of your pants, twisty side road fun in the sun as a supplementary vehicle, without having to put on a bunch of uncomfortable leather and a helmet, Miata. Unitaskers always work better. But I would hate to have a Miata as an only vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #24
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildenstern View Post
But I would hate to have a Miata as an only vehicle.
Worked fine for me for two years (summer and winter) here in NE OH. Loved seeking out the twisties and never felt
at risk when it was wearing winter rubber. But you're right...it's like comparing lawnmowers and giraffes. That said,
I LOVE my 135. I almost went from the Miata straight into a TTS...then I drove the BMW. Never looked back.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #25
mimini1
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildenstern View Post
This is kind of like saying "I find apples to be vastly superior to flutes." While there is some overlap, these cars have very little in common from a use standpoint. The Miata is a roadster and the 128 is a four seat two door sports sedan (BMW's words.)

I've been shopping around for a 94-95 Miata as a toy/project. They feel like drastically different cars to me. One is light, and nimble, and feels like you are wearing it. The other is heavy, and solid, and feels like a tiny version of an old M5 or something.

The 128 has great all around functionality, it's a great all season, all weather car for both long or short trips, it keeps you engaged, but doesn't wear you out. But it's heavy, and you kinda feel bunkered in and up a bit too high.

As an only car though, it's fantastic. Great Multitasker.

But for seat of your pants, twisty side road fun in the sun as a supplementary vehicle, without having to put on a bunch of uncomfortable leather and a helmet, Miata. Unitaskers always work better. But I would hate to have a Miata as an only vehicle.
I am not sure you have driven the third generation Miata, they are quite sloppy. I would only consider an older Miata, then as a toy.
A Loaded PRHT Miata price exceeds 30 k so a Basic 128i is not that much more to purchase. BTW I bought the Maita new so it is not like I bought it and immediately said whoops.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #26
Guildenstern
or Rosencrantz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 128i

Garage List
2008 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
I am not sure you have driven the third generation Miata, they are quite sloppy. I would only consider an older Miata, then as a toy.
A Loaded PRHT Miata price exceeds 30 k so a Basic 128i is not that much more to purchase. BTW I bought the Maita new so it is not like I bought it and immediately said whoops.
No I didn't drive an NC, My heart is set on a pre OBDII NA. I had initially put it on my list when shopping for the 128, but I just couldn't go to 2 seats for a daily driven car. I still have a wicked pragmatic streak, I could count on one had the amount of times those rear seats, or the trunk pass through has been used. But it feels wrong to not have it.

I'm mostly just seeing the greener grass as it were. But Fingers crossed I'll have something sitting over my grass killing a roadster shaped shadow of it soon enough!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #27
JTBMW1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Quote:
My Miata was a 2010 NC and it was an absolute fabulous car. I had the base, sport model, 5 speed manual tranny with a black vinyl top. The car was the lightest of the Miatas- and the car flew. I added a free flow and (light weight) Flyin Miata exhaust and K & N intake. I estimate the mods added about 20 HP- boosting it from 167 to about 187. It would do 0-60 in about 6.4-6.6, slower than a 128i with 6 speed manual although perhaps faster than one with the auto- which is what we have. The car was a blast- the most fun to drive car I ever owned. It did lean more than the previous generation Miatas NA, NB around the turns although with addition of a very easy mod- aftermarket sways for 200 or so it was a quick fix. Still, one of my favorite all time cars. If it were not for my wife falling for the 128i and us needing a bit more room, I would still have that Miata.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #28
mimini1
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBMW1 View Post
My Miata was a 2010 NC and it was an absolute fabulous car. I had the base, sport model, 5 speed manual tranny with a black vinyl top. The car was the lightest of the Miatas- and the car flew. I added a free flow and (light weight) Flyin Miata exhaust and K & N intake. I estimate the mods added about 20 HP- boosting it from 167 to about 187. It would do 0-60 in about 6.4-6.6, slower than a 128i with 6 speed manual although perhaps faster than one with the auto- which is what we have. The car was a blast- the most fun to drive car I ever owned. It did lean more than the previous generation Miatas NA, NB around the turns although with addition of a very easy mod- aftermarket sways for 200 or so it was a quick fix. Still, one of my favorite all time cars. If it were not for my wife falling for the 128i and us needing a bit more room, I would still have that Miata.
Generally I liked my NC quite a lot but I can't say it was my favorite car.
I have a MINI which I have owned for 10 years and really preferred it to the NC.( Please don't tell me a FWD car cannot be fun I have heard that for years on Miata.net) The 128 really reminds me of the 944 I owned for several years which I still think was the best driving car I have owned.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #29
JTBMW1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Quote:
Generally I liked my NC quite a lot but I can't say it was my favorite car.
I have a MINI which I have owned for 10 years and really preferred it to the NC.( Please don't tell me a FWD car cannot be fun I have heard that for years on Miata.net) The 128 really reminds me of the 944 I owned for several years which I still think was the best driving car I have owned.
Oh I know a FWD car can be fun! I have owned a few pretty quick ones- 2 Honda Civic SI's and my daily driver right now is a 2011 MazdaSpeed 3. I have a blast with the Speed 3- it's sweet spot is 30-100 MPH pulls and it handles pretty good too for a FWD car. And I get 30 MPG with it as a bonus.
Appreciate 0