BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
BoxFlares
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Installing smokers pack (ashtray)

Hello all,

I'm installing the smokers kit in my 2011 E82 so i can get some power in the front. I've got the center console all apart and I'm ready to put it all back together but I don't see where I get power for the cigarette lighter? It has a plug on the end of it but I can't find it's match.

Shouldn't there be a cable for me to plug this into? Everything so far has been pretty much plug/play and idiot proof.

Thanks in advance for anyhelp.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Monaco blue Metallic BMW 135i

When I removed* my ash tray to put in the storage box, the power cord came from the back side of the shift knob foam (I have a 6 speed). Is it possible that only cars that had the smokers package from factory would have the power cord?
      05-30-2016, 12:07 AM   #3
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

My 1M has no "smoker's package," unlike my 135i coupe or my 135is convertible, both of which have them. I had a battery drain issue which turned out to be due to an unknown Lojack device installed under the back seat by the previous owner. Finding it required the entire interior to be taken out, or at least most of it, and there were wires and cables everywhere. Given the expense of this detective work, and already having the car filleted open, so to speak, I was looking for any tiny bit of value add I could get from this disaster. I asked the lead technician if I could have the front cigarette lighter adapter installed, e.g. smoker's package, before everything was put back together. What he said was that there was no way to do that, that a retrofit kit for that did not exist. I suspect he was talking in terms of whether BMW provides a kit like that for installation after the vehicle is produced, as an option.

But, this does not mean, obviously, that one could not take the required parts and find a way to hook up the circuit from a power source in the car. I'm sure that this could be done, but it might mean that a car assembled without the smoker's package lacks an immediately adjacent power source to connect, since the car in question was not assembled with that package. You might just have to cobble together something from the fuse panel.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 04:23 AM   #4
BoxFlares
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah it's starting to look like I'll have to rig up some molex connectors and tap the cables for the power adapter in the center console. I don't smoke but I need more power connections.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 05:11 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
My 1M has no "smoker's package," unlike my 135i coupe or my 135is convertible, both of which have them. I had a battery drain issue which turned out to be due to an unknown Lojack device installed under the back seat by the previous owner...
Just run some wires from the fuse box behind the glove box and be done with it. You can even use +12v that's on all the time or +12v that's only on when the engine/key is on.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #6
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Just run some wires from the fuse box behind the glove box and be done with it. You can even use +12v that's on all the time or +12v that's only on when the engine/key is on.
That's really the solution, and also gives you the option of wire thickness and current draw, since you could choose what size fuse to run off of.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
BoxFlares
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
That's really the solution, and also gives you the option of wire thickness and current draw, since you could choose what size fuse to run off of.
Hi. I've never tapped into a fuse box before. How would I tap into it?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 03:27 PM   #8
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

Littlefuse Add-a-circuit.
      06-01-2016, 04:42 AM   #9
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
... I had a battery drain issue which turned out to be due to an unknown Lojack device installed under the back seat by the previous owner. Finding it required the entire interior to be taken out, or at least most of it, and there were wires and cables everywhere.
Why didn't you just ask the previous owner where the Lojack device was located?
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #10
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
Why didn't you just ask the previous owner where the Lojack device was located?
(long answer to a short question)

I did not buy the car from the previous owner, I bought the car through a second hand dealer who sells exotic used cars on ebay (also on site). The previous owner sold the car to the dealer a couple of months before I bought it, and I only found out who owned the car before, because the prior owner left some service receipts in the owner's manual case.

Once I found out who owned the car, I called the guy up shortly after taking possession and asked if there were any issues with the car; he said "no." Only after taking delivery of the car and owning for a few months was it obvious that the car had a battery drain issue, and the car ended up stone cold dead after I let it sit about 10 days without driving it, and not on a charger. I called the prior owner at that time and he said that he was used to having to replace batteries every 2 years, since cars in cold climates (Toronto in his case) don't last long.

My dealer's technician told me he had found a current draw, but did not know what it was, when I brought the car in after getting it jumped, when it was dead. They said they could trace it down, so I let them. It turned out to be this Lojack device. Lojack, by the way, has ceased operations in Canada, although they were operating there back when this 1M was new. I called the selling dealer and they denied any knowledge of this device. I called the prior owner then, again, and asked him; he denied any knowledge of this.

Obviously, someone was lying, presumably the former owner. I could not see any point in accusing him of that on the phone however.

I should note that in the Lojack advertising materials they state that they have many different places in cars where they hide their devices, because they don't want them to be found. It is very likely that assuming that the former owner was the one to install the device, that he did not know where it was located in the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #11
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
(long answer to a short question)

I did not buy the car from the previous owner, I bought the car through a second hand dealer who sells exotic used cars on ebay (also on site). The previous owner sold the car to the dealer a couple of months before I bought it, and I only found out who owned the car before, because the prior owner left some service receipts in the owner's manual case.

Once I found out who owned the car, I called the guy up shortly after taking possession and asked if there were any issues with the car; he said "no." Only after taking delivery of the car and owning for a few months was it obvious that the car had a battery drain issue, and the car ended up stone cold dead after I let it sit about 10 days without driving it, and not on a charger. I called the prior owner at that time and he said that he was used to having to replace batteries every 2 years, since cars in cold climates (Toronto in his case) don't last long.

My dealer's technician told me he had found a current draw, but did not know what it was, when I brought the car in after getting it jumped, when it was dead. They said they could trace it down, so I let them. It turned out to be this Lojack device. Lojack, by the way, has ceased operations in Canada, although they were operating there back when this 1M was new. I called the selling dealer and they denied any knowledge of this device. I called the prior owner then, again, and asked him; he denied any knowledge of this.

Obviously, someone was lying, presumably the former owner. I could not see any point in accusing him of that on the phone however.

I should note that in the Lojack advertising materials they state that they have many different places in cars where they hide their devices, because they don't want them to be found. It is very likely that assuming that the former owner was the one to install the device, that he did not know where it was located in the car.
Ok... Just wondered.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #12
BoxFlares
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1er View Post
Littlefuse Add-a-circuit.
Thabks. I've never seen one of these before
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #13
BoxFlares
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the tips. Got her done this weekend.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxFlares View Post
Thanks for the tips. Got her done this weekend.
So I guess you just ran new wires from the fuse box right>?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #15
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Can you supply part numbers and a source where you got the parts? I might be interested in doing the same.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #16
BoxFlares
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Can you supply part numbers and a source where you got the parts? I might be interested in doing the same.

Thanks.
51168051991 is the part number. I just ordered it online.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2016, 09:34 AM   #17
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is this one part sufficient, or do you need anything else, other than wires and fuses to grab the power? Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
champignon View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Is this one part sufficient, or do you need anything else, other than wires and fuses to grab the power? Thanks.
Looks like that's all you need...

picture #6 p/n 51168051991

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...42#51168051991

Name:  AshTray 135i  smokers package  252390.jpg
Views: 3306
Size:  52.4 KB
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2016, 05:45 AM   #19
BoxFlares
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thats all. There are other colors but I went w/ the matte black to match the interior.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #20
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

I ordered the part from ECS, and it finally arrived. I plan to put it into my 1M.

Is this a job I should do myself, or should I take it to the dealer? There were no instructions accompanying the parts box. Does this parts set just click in where the panel over the area would come out?

For the Littlefuse part, do I need the ATO version https://www.amazon.com/Littelfuse-FH...A200BP+ATO#Ask Or the mini-ATO: https://www.amazon.com/-Circuit-func...s=FHA200BP+ATO ?

Was there any need to disassemble the dash for running the wire(s)? I am assuming you need to run some wires with crimpers on them to reach the fuse box.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #21
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

This Thread SHOULD NOT BE a STICKY

I would like to suggest to the moderators that this thread be taken out of its "sticky status" and returned to the DIY forum as a regular thread.

My reason for say this is that it is not sufficiently complete to enable a typical forum user to do the work.

At this point, the thread has a part number, a couple of parts diagrams, and suggestions of a cheap method for adding another fuse/circuit to a car, but no further information on how that power is to get down to where it is needed (the cigarette lighter part in the "smokers' package").

The OP noted that he had taken his center console apart but gave no further information on how that was done or even if it was needed to be done.

Other than for knowing that there is a part number for the "smoker's package," and that someone did this retrofit on his car, there is nothing here other than a picture of the completed job.

Perhaps when this thread gets some additional information added to it, enough information to inform the reader whether or not he or she should attempt to do this job, then it would merit being a sticky post. For now, I have purchased the part and after spending half an hour in the car concluded that I do not know enough about the way the parts in the center console and dash are put together to attempt to do this job. So I am planning to ask my dealer to do it. I would probably not have bought the part if I knew this would be the case.

So for now, this is turning into an expensive little job at the dealer, not exactly a DIY project, at least for me.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #22
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

The OP on this thread kindly responded to a personal message I sent him regarding the difficulty of installing this "Smoker's Package."

What he wrote to me in the PM was the following:

"It was easy. You remove the centerconsole in one piece. Flip it over and you'll see teh screws to remove the trim that surrounds the coin tray. You put the ash tray in its place and put it all back in."

By coincidence, I took my 135i in for an oil change today, and the senior tech with whom I have worked requested that I bring in the smoker's package part so he could look at it. He looked at it and said he could install it for me and that it would cost 1 hour's time unless he has to do a new electrical hook up. He said that the wiring harness should have a connector for the smoker's package but that it might be well hidden and he would try to find it. He also said that his own research on the car showed that by the VIN # the smoker's package should have been installed. The VIN lookup services I have used do not show the presence of this option, #441, on my car.

I am planning to let the dealer do it. They have done me some favors and have always been reasonable in their charges.
Appreciate 0