BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' X5 M-Sport / Space Gray

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
What are your "must have" options while keeping the lowest MSRP?

Hi guys,

My first post! - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I have been playing around with the configurator and it seems that if you want all the bells and whistles, a fully loaded 135i will be about $48k!! - :eyebulge:

My budget is to keep everything under $40k.

What options/packages are "must haves" for you?
What options will I not miss? (This will be my first luxury car)

Do I "need" these options?...

- navigation system?
- active steering?
- real leather?
- What do you think about the "M" enhancements?
- 18" factory option wheels?

your suggestions appreciated.

D-
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Welcome, SF VR6! To answer your questions: No, no, and no. If you are on a strict budget pick a non-metallic color and the ZSP sport package for the seats. That's way under $40K.
      01-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
xspeedy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

My bare minimum is ZSP (sports pack) and leather. The rest is nice to have, but I can do without.

I'll likely configure my car with ZSP and ZPP (premium pack) for resale. Nav can be had in an aftermarket unit for far less. Auto makers charge far too much for factory nav. Active steering is pointless.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

don't need those options. leatherette in a BMW feels nicer than leather in most American made cars. nave is cool because of the I-Drive but not needed and active steering is just plain gimmicky on a car like this. Base the 135i has a lot so personally the only option I saw as must need is

sport package

but I also got

comfort access
premium HI FI
HD radio
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
epecon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Respectfully, why get HD radio? So one can listen to commercials of a higher sound quality?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
MJA
Rep
Drives:

Sport package is the only one worth anything to me, and only for the seats and steering wheel.

Premium package is overpriced. Active steering is for your grandmother. Real leather would be nice but too $$$, and the leatherette is quite nice. Navigation and i Drive are worthless to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Bare minimum is the Sport package, ZSP. With a manual transmission, you get the zoomy seats, M-steering wheel, M-shifter, M-door sills plus the M-inspired Shadowline trim. Makes for an M-like Q-car. At least, in my mind.:biggrin:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I really don't think there would be anything wrong with a base 135i, depending on your tastes. I almost skipped prem. and just got power seats and bmw assist. I need the hands free bluetooth for on base (yeah I talk on my phone while driving), and I just wanted power seats. But I decided to get terra and when those three are added up, might as well get the prem. I also got the auto for convenience purposes, but that will save you a good 1275 (1375 with sport pack).

So, if you can do without the sport seats, or may put an aftermarket seat in later, skip the sport pack.

If you don't want a special color of interior go with leatherette, consensus seems to be it is difficult to tell the difference and it wears better, skip the premium.

If you can drive a stick well, skip the auto.

Then maybe pick one or two small options you like and take them. I have heard that the premium sound is not worth it, and the 875 would be better spent on an aftermarket sys. Comfort access isn't really a must, just a neat gizmo. Navigation is overpriced imo.

In summation, don't feel bad if you don't get any options, it should still provide a good deal of enjoyment and practicality. Sometimes I think that would have been a good route for me to go, but I got sucked into the if you are spending x what is y mindset of purchasing.
      01-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

I'm giving serious consideration to a 128 cabrio. My minimum option picks are metallic colour, park distance control (because of the cabrio), sport seats and comfort access. I will check to see if the sport seats can be had independently of the sport package. I'm not sure I really need the sport suspension on this car and the 18" sport OEM wheels don't suit my taste.

I'm kind of getting sucked into the premium package because in Canada it includes comfort access and leather. I love comfort access and at Cdn $750 it's quite pricey and likely to be a substantial portion of the premium package pricing.

My other car will be the E92 335i with sport suspension and 19" wheels, so I don't think I'll miss the larger wheels and sport suspension on this vehicle. The 128 is also likely to ride a little 'rougher' than the 335i given its smaller wheelbase. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
Pac-Man
Private
Rep
Drives:

Skip the Premium Package... its a lot of money for a lot of fluff...

If you dont care about interior colour (hey you can't go wrong with black), stick with the leatherette; its cheaper and tougher.

Dont even think about Nav... what a rip... if you must have NAV there are so many "bolt on " options for a fraction of the price.

Dont need Active Steering.

I really dont think you need to add anything to this car... but perhaps you could splurge for a couple of niceties...add the the "experience"; Id say get the sports pack...maybe the USB adapter and premium sound system if your one for music.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #11
Pac-Man
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus View Post
I'm giving serious consideration to a 128 cabrio. My minimum option picks are metallic colour, park distance control (because of the cabrio), sport seats and comfort access. I will check to see if the sport seats can be had independently of the sport package. I'm not sure I really need the sport suspension on this car and the 18" sport OEM wheels don't suit my taste.

I'm kind of getting sucked into the premium package because in Canada it includes comfort access and leather. I love comfort access and at Cdn $750 it's quite pricey and likely to be a substantial portion of the premium package pricing.

My other car will be the E92 335i with sport suspension and 19" wheels, so I don't think I'll miss the larger wheels and sport suspension on this vehicle. The 128 is also likely to ride a little 'rougher' than the 335i given its smaller wheelbase. Any thoughts?
Where did you get CDN options and pricing?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #12
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

ZSP is the only must have. Metallic paint is nice for ease of maintenance. Everything else is purely a personal matter.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #13
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac-Man View Post
Where did you get CDN options and pricing?
Canadian options are listed in the 128 cabrio product guide posted elsewhere in this forum. Pricing for options is likely very, very similar to 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #14
asv
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

ZSP is the only "must have option" if you trying to go budget. If my limit was 40k, I would do a non metallic paint like Alpine white with this configuration.

Base MSRP$34,900
Black Boston Leather$1,450
Glacier Silver Aluminum Trim$0
Sport Package$1,000
Power front seats with driver seat memory$995
iPod and USB adapter$400
Destination & Handling:$775
Total MSRP as Built$39,520
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #15
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
what do you think about heated seats?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #16
JAMS 135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I would take heated seats over power seats - especially way up North in the Bay Area!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #17
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_VR6 View Post
what do you think about heated seats?
Heated seats are actually my ONLY must have option. I don't even need the ski bag that comes with the Cold Weather Package. The standard folding rear seats will work better for my snowboard anyways.

The Sports Package is not a must have for me unless official BMW docs prove it is the only way to get an oil cooler with a manual transmission car. Otherwise, I can live without the rest of the Sports Package add-ons.

I strongly prefer the leatherette to the leather because I'm lazy and hate to clean/condition my seats. (the only time I clean my beige leatherette in my car is when something gets spilled, and they still look new after 105k miles.) Power seats just add weight that I would rather not have in the car. I'll delete the sunroof for the same reason, if BMW will allow me to.

I like both AW and SR non-metalic paint jobs, so my total options add up to just $500.

Last edited by Nixon; 08-10-2009 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #18
'02onthebrain
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi; '00 911 C4

Man, I think the 135 is one of the easiest cars to keep under 40K. I got everything I wanted for $39,395, plus I plan on doing ED next July, so I will be about $2400 less than that. Here are my must haves:

135i
Titanium Silver w/black leatherette and black gloss trim
Sport Pack
Comfort Access
Ipod/USB
Sirius
BMW Assist

Everything else looks like a waste for me, idrive stinks, power seats add weight, steering assist is just silly, heated seats make me too hot in certain areas :eyebulge:, no need for premium or cold packages.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #19
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Hybrid Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by epecon View Post
Respectfully, why get HD radio? So one can listen to commercials of a higher sound quality?
In Los Angeles there are numerous radio stations offering HD Programming.

Wikipedia says:

HD Radio is the registered trademark for the in-band on-channel (IBOC) technology selected by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 2002 for terrestrial digital audio broadcasting in the United States.[1] The IBOC technology was developed by iBiquity Digital Corporation, and it allows stations to simulcast MP3-quality compressed digital audio and traditional analog audio, without changing to new frequency bands. The specification for this standard offers two operating modes: "All Digital" and "Hybrid Digital". The name "Hybrid Digital" is derived from the latter operational mode, and not high definition as some erroneously believe.[2]

As of 2007, more than 1200 AM and FM stations are broadcasting with HD Radio technology, with more than 550 FM stations offering Multicast channels, thus doubling or tripling the number of programs available to listeners.[3] Most of the stations that have adopted the technology are FMs, while AM stations have been slower to upgrade.[4]

As with traditional AM, FM and TV broadcasting, HD Radio programming is free and supported by commercial advertising. However, as is the case with the new ATSC DTV standards, consumers must upgrade to a new receiver in order to receive the digital broadcasts. Brand name HD Radio receivers are available for home and car at major consumer electronics chains, online and through regional stores.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 12:14 AM   #20
gammagoblin
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_VR6 View Post
Do I "need" these options?...

- navigation system?
- active steering?
- real leather?
- What do you think about the "M" enhancements?
- 18" factory option wheels?

You don't "need" any of those. Can you read maps and plan unknown routes 5 minutes ahead of time or do you need a 2 grand computer to tell you where to turn left and right? Is the steering in a regular BMW so bad that it needs a costly "upgrade" that you might not even like? M enhancements on the 1 and wheels are mostly cosmetic changes. How much money are subjective looks worth to you? Try a leather and leatherette seat and see if you feel the difference is worh $1400.

This car isn't lacking in stock form, but I guess if we were talking on a strictly "needs" basis we wouldn't be taking BMW. (But I do need a RWD well handling driver's car with nice fit and finish :wink
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 12:32 AM   #21
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammagoblin View Post
You don't "need" any of those. Can you read maps and plan unknown routes 5 minutes ahead of time or do you need a 2 grand computer to tell you where to turn left and right? Is the steering in a regular BMW so bad that it needs a costly "upgrade" that you might not even like? M enhancements on the 1 and wheels are mostly cosmetic changes. How much money are subjective looks worth to you? Try a leather and leatherette seat and see if you feel the difference is worh $1400.

This car isn't lacking in stock form, but I guess if we were talking on a strictly "needs" basis we wouldn't be taking BMW. (But I do need a RWD well handling driver's car with nice fit and finish :wink
hehe good points. I'm thinking now if I really even "need" 300hp twin turbo now. I'm coming from a 172hp VW. The normally aspirated 230hp version seems to be quite adequate now.

Maybe a 128i with more trimmings to keep it within the 38k range, though Im gonna miss not having the more agressive front bumber. hmmmm what to do:iono:

-D
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 05:47 AM   #22
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by epecon View Post
my favorite radio station that I listen to constantly plays there normal broadcast in HD and they also have a secondary HD station that plays live recorded concerts so it works out pretty good for me. I had satellit and did not really care for it.
Appreciate 0