BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Big Dealer Markup

Are there any dealers in SF area that has a 1M without a ridiculous markup? I would at least like to test drive one. Looks like a blast
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: kia

i would say unlikely on the first question and no on the second. if you want one you'll need to buy blind and most likely from a remote dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhsa View Post
i would say unlikely on the first question and no on the second. if you want one you'll need to buy blind and most likely from a remote dealer.
+1. You are not getting a 1M test drive unless you pull into the dealership driving a Ferrari. And no California dealer is going to sell a 1M at MSRP right now on the lot. They may let you place an order at MSRP if they have allocation but nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Agreed.. you better be on a first name basis with the dealer sales manager or owner to get a test drive, and sure seems like NFW on the sale price out there in Cali, unless that first name basis things gets some traction.

want to know what a 1M is like ? go test drive a 135 and you get 85% of what the 1M is. The 1M is faster (duh), handles better, and has the M diff and wheel and tire package and brakes, but it's not like you would really be able to tell the difference on a 5 mile test drive with a sales dud in the passenger seat anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
pberenson
Rapture
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi RS4 (now gone)

I have a deposit down on the 1st allocation on a 1M at my local dealer and finally went today to test drive a 135 (coming from an RS4 which I sold riduculously quickly). Currently driving my wife's new Fiesta while I wait out a November allocation...just in time for winter in Wisconsin.

Anyway, I was duly impressed with the 135. It was a 6 speed without Nav. I really liked the size of it and how it handled. I don't need a 4 door, the Audi while a great car was simply more than what I need. Can't wait for this one, however with much more aftermarket options I hope I can contain myself.

One thing I did notice with the 135 was the steering was very heavy and it seemed like I needed to turn the wheel quite a bit more than prior cars to make a turn. I think the 1M has a tighter ratio, but none the less it is something I'm sure that is just a normal adjustment to a different vehicle.

I'm also hoping my allocation moves up but will just enjoy the car whenever it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I think if you look back, there are some impressions from a 135 owner that went to a 1M. The steering, IIRC, was one of the definite improvements..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I went to test drive 1M at two dealerships and no luck at all as far as test drive goes. I finally meet a very nice gentlemen with V. orange 1M and he allowed me to see his car. The car looks great in person and the exhaust sounds better then I had thought it would.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0