BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: What should I do when my lease is up?
Keep the 135i? 12 50.00%
Give it back and buy the Mcoupe or Z4 3.0is? 9 37.50%
Buy a different car? 3 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

04-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Lease up in August.. here goes the debate..

So.. my 135i 2008's lease is up in August so I still have sometime...

Was totally going to give it back since the BMW interest rate would be 6.4% for the financing buy back. I looked at a used 06-07 Mcoupe or 3.0 Z4 06-09 because I personally like small cars and always loved the Mcoupe's styling but couldn't justify the price or the praticality before so I picked the 1er.

This decision was made during this past winter while my 1er only had bolt on's and winter tires/rims on.

Now that I'v put back on my Jb3 and summers I am stuck in a situation.. buying back the car or giving it back... buying the car back isn't a problem as the payments are below what I pay now and I can write it off.

There are pros and cons about both cars (comparing my modded 1er and the Mcoupe), I don't have kids and am not married hence the consideration of the M or Z. I do not track my car either and mainly drive my car on the hwy and in the city so the torq is a plus form the turbo.

Here is the link to my cardomain which you can take a look at what I have and how my car looks like so far.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3334104

Pros of the 135i
- very powerful with the mods (don't think I can buy another car for this price that can produce this type of power)
- N54 Twin Turbo
- longest coupe I'd prefer, anything longer I don't want
- used to the car and know what to expect
- still pratical enough to buy something from ikea
- low kms for me (I've only put 50k km on it and i've had it for more than 3 years)
- Already have alot of mods and can contiune where I left off
- insurance isn't expensive
- avoid hassle of removing mods

Cons of the 135i
- not an M
- not as unique
- handling is not as good and would need to put more money in
- common car
- resell value will drop with the newer 1ers and 1M out there now

Pros of the Mcoupe
- Rare
- its an M
- smaller car
- amazing handling
- I like the styling
- NA power

Cons of the Mcoupe
- Expensive insurance
- NA engine can only produce XX amount of power unless you super charge
- 2 seater, so not practical
- no trunk at all
- More expensive then the 1er or Z
- Winter beater needed

I've probably missed alot of things that are pros and cons so please chime in!!

I've put up a poll and wondered what everyone thought.

I know the guys on here are pretty unbiased like some of the other guys so your opinions will be valued.

Last edited by M3Newbie88; 04-02-2011 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 135i

I was going to say get the M or Z, but after reading your post, I'd say keep the 1er...close second would be the Z so you can stay with a turbo car.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiggs View Post
I was going to say get the M or Z, but after reading your post, I'd say keep the 1er...close second would be the Z so you can stay with a turbo car.
Oh when I say Z I mean the 06-09 not the new ones.. Ill revise that on the post..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

It's always a problem when deciding between all great cars!

If it were me, I would probably go for the M-coupe - can't go wrong with LSD + M chassis/suspension + M high revving NA engine.

Then again, you are already used to the 1er, and who are we fooling? The 1er is an amazing machine, and the thrills of driving a 1-series can be similar to those of driving an M car; at least for me.

The Z would probably be my last choice, but that's just me. Man, it's all going to boil down to what's important to you; don't make a decision based on a forum poll. All three cars are great!

I'm in line for a 1M...but the thought of separating from my 1-series (even though I'm getting into another 1-series) gives me anxiety...maybe because I truly love this car and it's been amazing for the 14,500 miles that I have driven it since new. It still puts a smile on my face every time I take it for a spin, even after 9 months of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
richsnuc
Retired USN LT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M60i Avus Blue/Coffee

If it has been trouble-free, I'd keep it, or remove mods that can't go to a 2012, sell this car outright, then buy a 2012.

I think that this is THE best car for daily driving out there. Great looks, good mileage, comfortable, good ride, very ergonomic, overall quite satisfying.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Plenty of other cars out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Buy an 2-3 year old used M3 Sedan And Then Borrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LazyBmw View Post
So.. my 135i 2008's lease is up in August so I still have sometime...

Was totally going to give it back since the BMW interest rate would be 6.4% for the financing buy back. I looked at a used 06-07 Mcoupe or 3.0 Z4 06-09 because I personally like small cars and always loved the Mcoupe's styling but couldn't justify the price or the praticality before so I picked the 1er.

This decision was made during this past winter while my 1er only had bolt on's and winter tires/rims on.

Now that I'v put back on my Jb3 and summers I am stuck in a situation.. buying back the car or giving it back... buying the car back isn't a problem as the payments are below what I pay now and I can write it off.

There are pros and cons about both cars (comparing my modded 1er and the Mcoupe), I don't have kids and am not married hence the consideration of the M or Z. I do not track my car either and mainly drive my car on the hwy and in the city so the torq is a plus form the turbo.

Here is the link to my cardomain which you can take a look at what I have and how my car looks like so far.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3334104

Pros of the 135i
- very powerful with the mods (don't think I can buy another car for this price that can produce this type of power)
- N54 Twin Turbo
- longest coupe I'd prefer, anything longer I don't want
- used to the car and know what to expect
- still pratical enough to buy something from ikea
- low kms for me (I've only put 50k km on it and i've had it for more than 3 years)
- Already have alot of mods and can contiune where I left off
- insurance isn't expensive
- avoid hassle of removing mods

Cons of the 135i
- not an M
- not as unique
- handling is not as good and would need to put more money in
- common car
- resell value will drop with the newer 1ers and 1M out there now

Pros of the Mcoupe
- Rare
- its an M
- smaller car
- amazing handling
- I like the styling
- NA power

Cons of the Mcoupe
- Expensive insurance
- NA engine can only produce XX amount of power unless you super charge
- 2 seater, so not practical
- no trunk at all
- More expensive then the 1er or Z
- Winter beater needed

I've probably missed alot of things that are pros and cons so please chime in!!

I've put up a poll and wondered what everyone thought.

I know the guys on here are pretty unbiased like some of the other guys so your opinions will be valued.
Another 19K (less if you really negotiate with them) and install a Gintani Supercharger.

Know that you will not only have room for all your IKEA stuff, but carry a few friends while you take that exit ramp at 90 mph.

Be sure to have rubber floor mats in case of spontaneous hurling by less enthusiastic passengers.

Then call it day, knowing nothing on earth can beat you on or off the track.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
It's always a problem when deciding between all great cars!

If it were me, I would probably go for the M-coupe - can't go wrong with LSD + M chassis/suspension + M high revving NA engine.

Then again, you are already used to the 1er, and who are we fooling? The 1er is an amazing machine, and the thrills of driving a 1-series can be similar to those of driving an M car; at least for me.

The Z would probably be my last choice, but that's just me. Man, it's all going to boil down to what's important to you; don't make a decision based on a forum poll. All three cars are great!

I'm in line for a 1M...but the thought of separating from my 1-series (even though I'm getting into another 1-series) gives me anxiety...maybe because I truly love this car and it's been amazing for the 14,500 miles that I have driven it since new. It still puts a smile on my face every time I take it for a spin, even after 9 months of ownership.
Ya the Z would be a major power downgrade..

I've never had any issues with my 1er and I must agree it is a beast and is as powerful and performance oriented I need in a car with my mods and a few more furture mods.

I've debated this for quite a while now, just wanted to see what others thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsnuc View Post
If it has been trouble-free, I'd keep it, or remove mods that can't go to a 2012, sell this car outright, then buy a 2012.

I think that this is THE best car for daily driving out there. Great looks, good mileage, comfortable, good ride, very ergonomic, overall quite satisfying.

This could be a good idea as cars depreciate the most in the first 2-3 years..

Can't really complain about the 1er.. friend has a 335i and he has been in service over 5 times for major issues so knock on wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Plenty of other cars out there
Please name some.. I can't think of any car in the size range or smaller then the 1 series.. or I i'd go M3 territory..

power wise after a tune there ain't much out there either for the same or less $$$

TT - GF is getting that car...
Mini - nah.. maybe as a winter beater
350z or 370z - really want to stick to german and the interior imo isn't that great

anything else is longer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfl1ght View Post
Another 19K (less if you really negotiate with them) and install a Gintani Supercharger.

Know that you will not only have room for all your IKEA stuff, but carry a few friends while you take that exit ramp at 90 mph.

Be sure to have rubber floor mats in case of spontaneous hurling by less enthusiastic passengers.

Then call it day, knowing nothing on earth can beat you on or off the track.
Blah.. for 19K more I can buy so much more.. like the 1M, S5, 2011 z4is, etc..

Don't need a sedan as I mentioned I like small cars.

Maybe when I have a family I'll consider the M3 sedan but then i'd look at an SUV instead.
Appreciate 0