BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #1
iNeedALsd
Rep
Drives: n55 135 dct

limp mode on the first session, dct, n55

hey guys,

had a very troubling weekend with my car. on the very first session, after only a couple laps my car went into limp mode. i've gone into limp mode before when the temps at the track were around 100, 105, but this time it felt different. instead of just slowing down and not allowing me to accelerate or downshift, the car cut all power and the entire rear end started shaking. i had to pull over and shut the car off to get it going again.

I've had some bad luck in the past and i was afraid of doing more damage so i just called it a day. since then i haven't noticed anything. the oil wasn't overheating and i had only been out for a few laps so i don't think it's the dct overheating.

i've done track days before when the car was stock, except for tires. this time i had newer tires and coilovers. i was also running in a higher group.

i'm thinking either the coilovers gave the car higher limits and i was pushing it more or the increased g's in the corners caused a sensor to malfunction. if such a thing even exists.

as you can see i don't really know what i'm talking about and was hoping someone could give me advice on how to prevent this from happening again. I love going to the track but can't afford to deal with an exploding engine or transmission. I've read about others on here who go to numerous track days without issue so perhaps it's driver error or something specific to my car (dealer replaced something incorrectly, manufacturing error).

any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
You need to scan the car for codes. Could be anything.

If I had to guess, I would guess a misfire but just get it scanned. You will know immediately. I wouldn't worry.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Would be happy to provide feedback but probably need more info. Are you running additional power? Are there error lights on? I wouldn't think coils or tires would be cause for a limp mode.

Only time my car has ever given me something like you described was when I was running low on fuel. Started the session with just under 1/2 tank. Mid-way through the session the car, based on my MPGs on track (lol), decided I was going to run out of fuel so it basically shut the car down. Limped it back to the paddock, filled back up, and all was good.

Now I just make sure I always have at least 1/2 tank before each session.
      01-18-2015, 10:18 PM   #4
iNeedALsd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
You need to scan the car for codes. Could be anything.

If I had to guess, I would guess a misfire but just get it scanned. You will know immediately. I wouldn't worry.
thanks for the response. it's comforting to hear that it could be a number of things. I didn't know a misfire could cause the car to shut down like that. If i took it into the dealer for scheduled maintenance do you think they would scan it for free? also, would a misfire explain the vibrating rear end?

thank you for answering whatever you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rsxpilot View Post
Would be happy to provide feedback but probably need more info. Are you running additional power? Are there error lights on? I wouldn't think coils or tires would be cause for a limp mode.

Only time my car has ever given me something like you described was when I was running low on fuel. Started the session with just under 1/2 tank. Mid-way through the session the car, based on my MPGs on track (lol), decided I was going to run out of fuel so it basically shut the car down. Limped it back to the paddock, filled back up, and all was good.

Now I just make sure I always have at least 1/2 tank before each session.
No power mods and I had the limp mode light come on with the half filled box shape. As much as i wish it were just the gas tank, i had filled up a few minutes before the session.

btw, i had an 06 rsx-s. miss that thing, never had a single issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
if your cars under warranty still, take it and tell them everything that happened just say you were regularly driving on the street when it happened.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 02:15 AM   #6
iNeedALsd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
if your cars under warranty still, take it and tell them everything that happened just say you were regularly driving on the street when it happened.
thanks for the advice, i will do that when i go in for the vanos recall.
Appreciate 0