BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Service non-sequitur?

OK, so I took my little 128 to the dealer to get a few things addressed before the warranty expires next month... along with the recall.

One complaint was that the trunk lid is not flush with the rear fenders - I asked them to adjust it, which one would think is just a couple bolts at the hinge point. When they called yesterday, I was told that they need to replace the rear bumper - hafta get a new one and paint it and they'll put it on in a week or 2. Egads!

I was not expecting to hear that resolution, and I do not see how that affects the height of the trunk lid at the hinge point (towards the front of the car). Any ideas?

BTW they are also replacing my steering wheel trim and console back where the cup holders are - it is peeling in both places. Also the passenger weatherstripping at the bottom of the door - one of the holes in the rubber is split. They are either going to repair or replace the driver seat due to excessive wear on the bolsters. The last thing is the air intake does not line up under the hood - the two little tabs don't stay in and everytime I open the hood they are disconnected.

They told me also that if my brakes are such that they will fail inspection (they are at 2/32") they will replace them regardless of the sensor readings. My readings have been all over the place - when I got the car it said 7K miles; I drove cross country and the CBSD said 13K miles - now it's back to 6K after returning to commute. Not sure what that decision is yet.

Just for grins I am having them do an unscheduled oil change on my dime; there's 4K left on the computer on that.

Loaner --- 2013 328i run-of-the-mill boring.
      05-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Hate to tell you this... every e82 trunk lid I have seen is not flush with the rear fenders. I think that is just how they are made.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Hate to tell you this... every e82 trunk lid I have seen is not flush with the rear fenders. I think that is just how they are made.
I just took a look at my car: the trunk lid is not flush with the rear fenders on the hinge/back window side (the lid is lower), but the lid IS flush with the rear fenders on the badge/roundel/license plate side... I figured this was normal.
      05-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
I just took a look at my car: the trunk lid is not flush with the rear fenders on the hinge/back window side (the lid is lower), but the lid IS flush with the rear fenders on the badge/roundel/license plate side... I figured this was normal.
Yea, that is how my car is too. When you look at the horizontal flat part of the truck deck, where it meets the side quarters... the truck deck lid is lower than the quarters. When you look at the truck lid from say a parked car from behind you... everything matches up and is squared/flush.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Mine is the only 1er around so nothing to compare it to. If this is normal, why in God's green earth would they want to replace my rear bumper? I can't envision any connection between the two whatsoever... and I can't look now because it is at the dealer.
      05-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Now that I have the car back I see the issue they are talking about - the rear bumper is deformed and they are going to replace it.

I took the car in with a couple annoying cosmetic issues and, as it is a month from the close of free maintenance, they did a few other things.

Brakes - the computer said 7K miles on the front and 9K on the back, but they went ahead and gave me new pads all around and new front rotors.

Oil - Computer said 3900 miles; they did an oil/filter/air filter change

Trim - replaced my entire console and the steering wheel trim both of which had peeled. Replaced passenger weather seal that had ripped.

Bumper - new one on order to be painted. They will call to schedule its install.

Seat - Bolster is worn. They are having a guy fix it under warranty.

So not as bad as some have said; I am surprised they did brakes with so much time remaining.