BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #881
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by normano View Post
wheel spin is a part of the game with the n54 and n55. the only way to remedy it is by adding a limited slip differential. you CAN get new tires for cheaper, that will grip better. i've always had good luck with the yokohama s.drive tires. they're cheap, pretty sticky, and last a decent amount of time for the price (pretty cheap, comparitively).
Ditto on the S. Drives. I love em and they grip better in my opinion, than the PS2s I had beforehand.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #882
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
catless downpipes provide the best power gains in the exhaust system. no point in chaning out the midpipes, in my opinion, unless you want a louder exhaust note. stock exhaust + catless downpipes can support over 400 whp on the e82, while maintaining a sweet exhaust note that isn't too intrusive.

don't worry about the secondary cats wearing out; even if they do, there's no harm except a slightly louder exhaust. i ran catless downpipes for years with no issues on the stock exhaust.
Sounds good, I had to replace the cat's on a previous car and that was damn annoying. So stoked to run stage 2
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #883
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty royale View Post
Hey guys, did some recent Dataloging with my COBB AP. My Logfiles say that I have 0.00° Timing Correctur on all Cylinders except on Cyl 4. Itīs sometimes between -2.25° and -3°.
What does it mean? Do i have bad coil or spark?
Quote:
it might not mean anything. post up a datalog with actual timing advance. timing correction can be indicitive of failing injectors, coils, spark plugs, or just a noisy cylinder. a datalog with ignition advance across all 6 cylinders will show if you're having timing drops that warrant further trouble shooting.
When looking at current Cobb datalogs the best way to do it is using cyl 1-6 timing corrections and cylinder 1 timing. The MSD80/81 DME uses individual cylinder monitoring/corrections in response to knock events however it uses a global timing strategy as far as what the timing table will be(mainly in response to IATs.) As long as you know actual timing on any cylinder and the corrections on all 6 cylinders you will know the timing on all the cylinders.

You may ask "why not just log both 1-6?"
Keep in mind that while logging the more channels you are logging at one time the lower the resolution will be and the less data collected per channel.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #884
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Would I have a problem passing emissions on my n54 if I swapped out the midpipe for a n55 midpipe?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #885
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post
Would I have a problem passing emissions on my n54 if I swapped out the midpipe for a n55 midpipe?
You'll only have a problem if they do a visual inspection. If they just do a sniffer or OBD2 check you'll be good. Assuming you have the stock or catted DPs.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #886
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
You'll only have a problem if they do a visual inspection. If they just do a sniffer or OBD2 check you'll be good. Assuming you have the stock or catted DPs.
Yes stock DPs. They look under the car sometimes with a mirror rather quickly though. So I dunno
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #887
rader1
Banned
Rep

Honestly, the mids are VERY easy to swap out. So just swap the stockers back in before you get it inspected.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #888
RoarkeOlver
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i N55 DCT

Turbo lag

Any ideas on how to stop turbo lag on N55??
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #889
I35it
all day
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2004 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2009 VW GTI  [0.00]
2012 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoarkeOlver View Post
Downpipe and a tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #890
RoarkeOlver
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by I35it
Quote:
Downpipe and a tune.
Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #891
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

I'm thinking about getting catless DP's for my E88 N54 but not sure about a few things.

Will I be ale to install themself being that I have an E88?

Also what's the difference between the brands? I was leaning towards cp-e but why are Akrapovic DPs so damn expensive? Are they that much better and how?
      07-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #892
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Im always surprised that some owners complain about turbo lag in the 1 series. The platform has constantly been praised by all the big time reviewers as being lag free engines. The N54 was highly touted by all of them and the N55 a tad better in that respect. For cars to make so much TQ at such low rpm and very little rpm drop during shifts with fantastic throttle response I dont get how some can find fault with it.
If you're that concerned a PPK should alleviate your worries. I have a N54 car and thought the turbos hit damn near right away at any rpm but when I did the PPK it does feel earlier and harder. Not that I would really call it 'lag' but you can feel a noticeable difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #893
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
I'm thinking about getting catless DP's for my E88 N54 but not sure about a few things.

Will I be ale to install themself being that I have an E88?

Also what's the difference between the brands? I was leaning towards cp-e but why are Akrapovic DPs so damn expensive? Are they that much better and how?
There's not much(if any difference) between the brands. The main difference is that some companies make a 2.5" DP and other make a 3" DP. The 3" DPs will make a little more power. All 3" DPs are going to perform and sound the same.

CP-e is a very good DP and I would recommend them. VRSF offers a good DP for a very good price(~$400.)

Akra is so expensive because of the name. They are SUPER high quality but not worth the price IMO.

As far as install, that depends on how mechanically inclined you are. They are a PITA to install for sure, but the average person can do it.

Last edited by rader1; 07-18-2012 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #894
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep

Anyone know the diameter of the N55 midpipe? (in inches). Tried searching but for some reason having a hard time finding any information about it
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #895
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
There's not much(if any difference) between the brands. The main difference is that some companies make a 2.5" DP and other make a 3" DP. The 3" DPs will make a little more power. All 3" DPs are going to perform and sound the same.

CP-e is a very good DP and I would recommend them. VRSF offers a good DP for a very good price(~$400.)

Akra is so expensive because of the name. They are SUPER high quality but not worth the price IMO.

As far as install, that depends on how mechanically inclined you are. They are a PITA to install for sure, but the average person can do it.
Thanks for the reply rader1.

I've had a look at a few different brands and yeah they do all look pretty similar in terms of design and performance.

Do the different brands affect the sound with a stock exhaust system though?

Also, I'll be installing a cp-e DCI. Would I be better off getting ceramic coated DPs such as the Macht Schnell or the AR Design to reduce engine bay temperatures or does it not really make any difference? I've also read somewhere on these forums that getting catless DPs can also increase interior foot well temperatures.

I'm kinda tossing up between the VRSF (<$400 shipped to Aust) and the the ceramic coated Macht Schnell. (~$850 shipped to Aust).
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #896
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Thanks for the reply rader1.

I've had a look at a few different brands and yeah they do all look pretty similar in terms of design and performance.

Do the different brands affect the sound with a stock exhaust system though?

Also, I'll be installing a cp-e DCI. Would I be better off getting ceramic coated DPs such as the Macht Schnell or the AR Design to reduce engine bay temperatures or does it not really make any difference? I've also read somewhere on these forums that getting catless DPs can also increase interior foot well temperatures.

I'm kinda tossing up between the VRSF (<$400 shipped to Aust) and the the ceramic coated Macht Schnell. (~$850 shipped to Aust).
All DPs are going to sound pretty much the same. Ceramic coating can help with engine bay temps, but it's not really worth the cost IMO. Getting rid of the cats should actually decrease temps, not raise them.

IMO the VRSF DPs are the best thing going right now as far as value is concerned.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #897
K25DC5
1DGAF
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Hey Guys I'm new here but Bryce probably remembers me from clubrsx all motor chat.

Anyway I'm interested in opinions between the HPF and AMS intercoolers. Ie what made people choose one of the other and what the perceived advantages would be.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #898
cloud_connected
Banned
Rep
Drives: ATR tuned N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by K25DC5 View Post
Hey Guys I'm new here but Bryce probably remembers me from clubrsx all motor chat.

Anyway I'm interested in opinions between the HPF and AMS intercoolers. Ie what made people choose one of the other and what the perceived advantages would be.

Thanks!
Unfortunately, Bryce is no longer with us...

Anyway, the intercooler debate depends heavily on what future mods you plan on doing. With meth you're better served by a FMIC that is a littler smaller with less pressure drop(like the AMS or ETS 5".) If you're not going the meth route a larger IC is more preferred.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #899
K25DC5
1DGAF
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_connected View Post
Unfortunately, Bryce is no longer with us...

Anyway, the intercooler debate depends heavily on what future mods you plan on doing. With meth you're better served by a FMIC that is a littler smaller with less pressure drop(like the AMS or ETS 5".) If you're not going the meth route a larger IC is more preferred.
Oh. What happened to him?

Well I really plan on keeping the car fairly mild and those are famous last words I know but I modded my RSX to the point it no longer became practical to drive daily so I don't want to take that route with the 1. I understand what you're saying about the pressure drop in the size differences but what about in terms of ease of install, quality and fitment?

Another question is the shop I'm considering has the ability to tune the stock ECU so, would it be foolish to take that route over a Cobb access port?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #900
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Well I really plan on keeping the car fairly mild and those are famous last words I know but I modded my RSX to the point it no longer became practical to drive daily so I don't want to take that route with the 1. I understand what you're saying about the pressure drop in the size differences but what about in terms of ease of install, quality and fitment?

Another question is the shop I'm considering has the ability to tune the stock ECU so, would it be foolish to take that route over a Cobb access port?
Tell that to my S2000 lol..."What's that new noise in the engine?" "Now it's not doing it...so nothing I guess..."

Yes it would be, IMO. You're better off going a route many other drivers have taken and had experience with.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #901
K25DC5
1DGAF
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post
Tell that to my S2000 lol..."What's that new noise in the engine?" "Now it's not doing it...so nothing I guess..."

Yes it would be, IMO. You're better off going a route many other drivers have taken and had experience with.
Lol. What happened to the S2000?

Ok so with an ams intercooler, ar downpipes and a Cobb access port what should I expect power wise and can I expect to keep factory drivability? Is there anything else I ought to do along with those mods? Blow off valve?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #902
cloud_connected
Banned
Rep
Drives: ATR tuned N54

Quote:

I honestly have no idea what happened to Bryce, he will be missed though

I have the ETS 5" FMIC and it is of super high quality and fitment and requires no trimming. I have no first hand experience with the AMS unit but their quality has been top notch on everything I've seen from them on other platforms. So I assume it would be excellent for the N54 also.

No doubt your local tuner is using the Dimsport ecu flash software. At this point it's a rather outdated software that can't all the tables that need to really be tweaked for most power/driveability. You can use the Cobb access port and use the free accesstunerrace software to tune the car yourself. If you're familiar with hondata/crome it will be an easy learning curve.
Appreciate 0