BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #221
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvitdk View Post

Hey maupineda, I just yesterday arrived in Mexico City, what's up with that crappy weather , I did not even bring a jacket

Anyway, I agree, I am very certain the limit set on the engine is a absolute safety measure with some room to go up. They would not set the limit to the exact highest possible range, but quite a bit below. 200-300rpm's will most likely do nothing to the engine wear, unless you redlining it more than not.
I know! the weather has been very messy for the past weeks, it rains eveyday in the evenings, and we even had all day rains a few weekends ago. I concur with you, if you are a limiter hero you will wear out the engine faster regardless. So 7500 is fine for these engines, even the N55 in the new 135i and 335i shift within the redline in some youtube videos I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #222
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apiasto View Post
It was Road & Tracks April 2012 issue, Tommy Milner took all of the Corvette variants around the Spring Mountain track and the Z06 edged out the ZR1. Here is one of the articles I saw about the 1M:

http://www.autospies.com/news/The-Ul...URPRISE-68390/

Aside from the lightened M3 CRT it edges out the M3s. But let's agree to disagree because until more data is formed than all it is speculation. I just wanted to put 2 cents in. I actually like the 135 I just stuck with N/A because I like the smooth feeling rather than boost.

Now getting back on topic, are there any good sites for parts in general for suspension. Sorry I'm a noob to the BMW world. I just bought my 1er I'm February. Y previous car was a RSX Type-S so I don't even know where to begin. My original plans were to do an all motor build but after seeing that there aren't too many parts around I got discouraged. Idk if Cams were discussed earlier but are there any available?
I remember that C&D article. It was talked about extensively on several Corvette sites Im a member. The Z06 was wearing Cup tires. They offer a huge advantage on the track and results are always faster times. In fact, the Z06 'Carbon Edition' shaved 12 seconds off its Ring time with little more than switching to the Cups. Putting those tires on our cars would make us all better drivers.
Why they used verts(Base, GS) for track testing, I'll never know. Kinda shows right there, they're not serious about being keeping all equal.
Again, testing on one day, on one track doesnt prove anything in the long run.
Oh, and I'll take the C6R for myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #223
Apiasto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
I remember that C&D article. It was talked about extensively on several Corvette sites Im a member. The Z06 was wearing Cup tires. They offer a huge advantage on the track and results are always faster times. In fact, the Z06 'Carbon Edition' shaved 12 seconds off its Ring time with little more than switching to the Cups. Putting those tires on our cars would make us all better drivers.
Why they used verts(Base, GS) for track testing, I'll never know. Kinda shows right there, they're not serious about being keeping all equal.
Again, testing on one day, on one track doesnt prove anything in the long run.
Oh, and I'll take the C6R for myself.
Agreed!! I am a huge C6 Z06 fan, but I cannot afford one yet (Student Loans are killing me). Why not the C6RS, its a little more practical.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #224
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyVT View Post
from some of the statements made so far I would say the majority have minimal knowledge of brake systems and minimal experience on a track
Agreed, which is why I'm pleased to see someone like Obioban in complete agreement with me.
      07-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #225
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvitdk View Post

Hey maupineda, I just yesterday arrived in Mexico City, what's up with that crappy weather , I did not even bring a jacket

Anyway, I agree, I am very certain the limit set on the engine is a absolute safety measure with some room to go up. They would not set the limit to the exact highest possible range, but quite a bit below. 200-300rpm's will most likely do nothing to the engine wear, unless you redlining it more than not.
I know! the weather has been very messy for the past weeks, it rains eveyday in the evenings, and we even had all day rains a few weekends ago. I concur with you, if you are a limiter hero you will wear out the engine faster regardless. So 7500 is fine for these engines, even the N55 in the new 135i and 335i shift within the redline in some youtube videos I've seen.
7500, probably even up to 8000, fine, its super light weight in an i6, don't hold it there of course, that's retarded.. The problem is however: stock cam profile is only set to flow to 7000, could maybe still hold a bit of power to 7500 but it would drop

Head, head is also designed around that rpm with the port length/size (can pretty easily be polished and flowed out a bit more) same with the intake manifold.. With the itb's flow is no issue of course, and possibly with mmw's new intake for their supercharger, though the efficiency of it will almost certainly be built around stock or stock-ish limit with sc's not working well at high rpm anyway.. (heat efficiency) - if you were building an all-motor n52, with what you can do to it, breathing at 8000rpm is totally achievable if your desire is big and pockets deep lol - itb's not only need a custom manifold to fit (modded from an e46 m3 i believe) but full aftermarket ECU to control it all and work with the MAF delete.. As well as above modified cam profile and ported/matched head
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #226
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

When I did the 2 day M school the thing I noticed most about the M3, M5 and M6 was not the engines. It was the brakes. I've driven my 128i in several autocrosses on the same track and it's brakes feel about the same but only for the first stop. After one really hard stop, like the M cars got every turn, my 128i has noticable fade I did not detect on the M cars. The brakes still work well but not as well as the first hard stop.

I'm not trying to argue that the M motors were not fun, just that the brakes were more noticably different to me. I've driven other cars with that much motor, but I have not driven other cars with such great brakes. It's not on a short term list for me but I've been thinking about a brake upgrade.

Jim
      07-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #227
Apiasto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD
When I did the 2 day M school the thing I noticed most about the M3, M5 and M6 was not the engines. It was the brakes. I've driven my 128i in several autocrosses on the same track and it's brakes feel about the same but only for the first stop. After one really hard stop, like the M cars got every turn, my 128i has noticable fade I did not detect on the M cars. The brakes still work well but not as well as the first hard stop.

I'm not trying to argue that the M motors were not fun, just that the brakes were more noticably different to me. I've driven other cars with that much motor, but I have not driven other cars with such great brakes. It's not on a short term list for me but I've been thinking about a brake upgrade.

Jim
A bit off topic but what did you think of that driving school. I've been throwing the idea around in my head and I cant seem to make up my mind whether it's worth it or not.

On topic the braking does fade a bit. I wonder if better cooling would help out. Just an idea, it might be a cheaper solution. I'm not sure how well it would do on let's say an autocross track but it may be worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #228
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apiasto
Quote:

Jim
A bit off topic but what did you think of that driving school. I've been throwing the idea around in my head and I cant seem to make up my mind whether it's worth it or not.

On topic the braking does fade a bit. I wonder if better cooling would help out. Just an idea, it might be a cheaper solution. I'm not sure how well it would do on let's say an autocross track but it may be worth a shot.
Or pads with a higher operating temp range
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #229
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

I don't have much contribute here, but, i got to say this thread is great! for someone like me, who wants to track my 128i in a couple years, I'm learning a lot here!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #230
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops128i
I don't have much contribute here, but, i got to say this thread is great! for someone like me, who wants to track my 128i in a couple years, I'm learning a lot here!
Couple years? That's too far away! I've been meaning to trak various cars for about 12-18mths now, so within the next 2 mths ima do it for sure!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #231
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Im here to learn lol.

between BBK, what sets let say brembo apart from other bbk kits.
What are those desired characteristics

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #232
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta
Im here to learn lol.

between BBK, what sets let say brembo apart from other bbk kits.
What are those desired characteristics
Reliability - they have a good rep over many years

Stoptech and brembo would likely perform similarly with same pads/discs.. Brembo has the 'its brembo' extra fee.. Even stoptech has a bit of that too, just less.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #233
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apiasto View Post

Adding extra cooling for brakes is always a good thing and might be sufficient for most autocross. As are better pads and using a hi temp brake fluid. But, most of the real drivers here who track their 128's realize that they arent quite up to par for the task. The rotors are quite small. 11.8" front and back. These are not performance sized rotors by todays standards. Even with the extra cooling they wont stop you when really need them after some hot laps. Most brake systems can stop once or twice without reaching fade, its the numerous hard on and off on brakes which taxes them beyong their limitations. A soft, spongey pedal is the first warning, after that its usually into a tire barrier. Certainly ruins what should have been a fun day.

The 135's Front rotors(13.3") are an inch and a half larger in diameter and thicker also. The rears(12.8") are an inch larger and thicker also.
Nearly the same size as the OEM Z51 Corvette rotors. That is a lot of extra swept area and a much larger heat sink to absorb and radiate heat. The calipers are much larger with multiple pistons to clamp the rotors firmly and evenly from both sides, larger pads help disipate heat much better and puts much more material on iron, common sense tells us thats better.
Quite a few 128 owners have swapped them onto their cars with very good results. Thats one option that works well and is a realitively inexpensive one. You could go with a big buck BBK but I think they're overkill for this application.

Last edited by NYC6; 07-25-2012 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #234
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

NYC6's post makes sense to me. I don't think you can do a whole lot with pads and cooling. I would think cooling would make a bigger difference if you were on a higher speed track than an autocross. The way they set up the performance center for an autocross you don't go over about 70mph. So you stop really hard if you are driving appropriately but are only on the brakes for a few seconds. If you were doing this from 100+, I think the cooling would be more of a factor. Perhaps that argues that pads would work, however, for an autocross situation. When my brakes get close to replacement and/or I am out of the warranty/maintenace period I'll try it - if I don't put on some bigger brakes first. Anybody got stock 135 brakes to sell? Anybody looked at putting on the M3 brakes like the 1M has?

The two day M-school is a great experience. You will learn to control oversteer and understeer. You will learn to properly take corners at high speed. They let you take the big turn on their course at around 100 mph. If you hit it hard enough, the only thing you have to do to hit the second apex is lift slightly on the throttle. It changes your course noticably, neat. There are several skidpad exercises and lots of driving on the track. There is very little time in a classroom, almost all driving. Driving the M3, M5, and M6 was an experience by itself. You are encouraged to drive them hard. I just wish they had the 1M there when I did it. I keep thinking (but not acting) of going back. If you decide to do it or are considering the costs, please remember that you get a serious discount if you are a BMWCCA member. I think it's 15%. So if you aren't a member, join first and save several hundred dollars. The price is significant but it includes your room and meals and some goodies (helmet, shirt, jacket).

Jim
      07-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #235
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post

Jim
A full brembo BBK on a 128 would feel worse than a stock M car. Tires play a HUGE role in braking (much more than brakes in a venue like the performance center where you never really get to get on the car for any extended period of time), and you were comparing PS2s to run flats.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #236
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Non technical:

I bought a set of these e87 Msport splitter replicas NON Carbon to fit & test for 128i front ( should fit e88 and e87 LCI front)
This is a buy now link, they had an auction for $10 less
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E87-1-Se...item27c94bf116

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #237
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
How does one load ECU software from a different model, such as Z4 3.0si?
What tools are needed? What software is needed?

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #238
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
How does one load ECU software from a different model, such as Z4 3.0si?
What tools are needed? What software is needed?
probably just a simon tool or ecu reader that AA or Evolve sells.

Problem is, i believe the software has special codes, so if you car isn't a Z4, it won't work.
      07-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #239
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
probably just a simon tool or ecu reader that AA or Evolve sells.

Problem is, i believe the software has special codes, so if you car isn't a Z4, it won't work.
ECU:
Those coders are just branded tool by the shops. Im talking about in general, say I want to go hacking and remap my car to 3.0si z4 in order to take more advantage of DISA. Or to download my software to analyze

BRAKES:
Would you guys ever use used 135i brake calipers to build el-cheapo BMP BBK?

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #240
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
ECU:
Those coders are just branded tool by the shops. Im talking about in general, say I want to go hacking and remap my car to 3.0si z4 in order to take more advantage of DISA. Or to download my software to analyze

BRAKES:
Would you guys ever use used 135i brake calipers to build el-cheapo BMP BBK?
For the ECU you would want the 3.0 X5 tune as that makes the most HP. It is doable.

For the brakes I would not. Larger brakes ≠ BBK. It's a half assed measure that gives you a product with known issues. Do it right the first time so you only have to do it once.
      07-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #241
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
NYC6's post makes sense to me. I don't think you can do a whole lot with pads and cooling. I would think cooling would make a bigger difference if you were on a higher speed track than an autocross. The way they set up the performance center for an autocross you don't go over about 70mph. So you stop really hard if you are driving appropriately but are only on the brakes for a few seconds. If you were doing this from 100+, I think the cooling would be more of a factor. Perhaps that argues that pads would work, however, for an autocross situation. When my brakes get close to replacement and/or I am out of the warranty/maintenace period I'll try it - if I don't put on some bigger brakes first. Anybody got stock 135 brakes to sell? Anybody looked at putting on the M3 brakes like the 1M has?

The two day M-school is a great experience. You will learn to control oversteer and understeer. You will learn to properly take corners at high speed. They let you take the big turn on their course at around 100 mph. If you hit it hard enough, the only thing you have to do to hit the second apex is lift slightly on the throttle. It changes your course noticably, neat. There are several skidpad exercises and lots of driving on the track. There is very little time in a classroom, almost all driving. Driving the M3, M5, and M6 was an experience by itself. You are encouraged to drive them hard. I just wish they had the 1M there when I did it. I keep thinking (but not acting) of going back. If you decide to do it or are considering the costs, please remember that you get a serious discount if you are a BMWCCA member. I think it's 15%. So if you aren't a member, join first and save several hundred dollars. The price is significant but it includes your room and meals and some goodies (helmet, shirt, jacket).

Jim
15% is several hundred?? How much is the total cost? A full track day with driver training is only like $300 cost + increased wear on car parts...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #242
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
What kind of toll do u need and where do u get the maps to flash?

yes I know 135i/bmp calipers aren't ideal. But for just street use, would u use used calipers to avoid 128i BMP Kit

Appreciate 0