BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
kb135
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Space Grey

Fix for - HK Premium sounds horrible from outside

The sound of the HK audio system from outside the 1er is horrible - rattles and vibrates when the volume is moderate-high. I am aware this is a known issue. What I am after is someone who has managed to solve it, and how please? I have searched and come up empty. Please do not hit me with the "turn down volume" or "get back in the car" lines. I am after genuine advice and a fix if it exists. I was going to dynamat the area around the under-seat subs and the doors - would this work? Which panels actually vibrate causing this? Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

I found a good audio setting awhile back in the forum here. Let me see if I can find it if not I'll goo out and see where my stuff is set. It's still not magical but it got rid of allot of the unwanted crap sound you usually get from ricers with their full bass vibrations at intersections.

here ya go. Bare in mind this is for what I listen to..Barry Manalow, Justin Beiber....ok I'm kiddin but it sounds good with anything from Rock (Metallica'ish) to Industrial (NIN) to stuff like the RHCP and Drop Kick Murphy's....Also my Bass is +4 and treb +1

Last edited by FDM68; 02-06-2013 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
kb135
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Space Grey

Thanks man, will go and give that a try as a band-aid measure. It's just not a good look having a sweet car and a poor-sounding audio system- don't match. Even at moderate volumes you can hear the rattle outside the car - very embarassing in the carparks and at traffic lights. But the performance does, for the most part, make up for it! Just wish we could locate what actually rattles, then we could solve this!
Appreciate 0