BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW Z3 Coupe

About a 1" drop from stock

Hey everyone, I just put a new set of wheels on my car and now I would like to lower it about an inch with a set of springs.

Can anyone give me some advice on what would be my best bet? I would like to just swap the springs and keep the factory shocks and struts if possible.

Thanks!
      04-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Eibach or H&R Springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Eibach or H&R Springs.
eibach pro kit?
      04-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone else know of springs that will give me a 3/4" drop?
      04-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

This is normally not a good idea...

Lowering on the stock struts will likely put an area of the strut shaft that didn't use to go through the seal now going through the seal. Your car is newer, and boots do a decent protection job, but it doesn't take a lot.

Also lowering springs tend to be stiffer, and the OE strut doesn't dampen that correctly and can give you a pogo stick / bouncing / hopping kind of ride.

I can't claim it won't work, but in all the other cars I've ever owned, any time someone changes out only their springs they are back in a year to replace the shocks / struts as well.

I'm sure others will chime in and say they've done it and it was fine and that's probably true. But I highly recommend getting a combination that's known to work well together.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
This is normally not a good idea...

Lowering on the stock struts will likely put an area of the strut shaft that didn't use to go through the seal now going through the seal. Your car is newer, and boots do a decent protection job, but it doesn't take a lot.

Also lowering springs tend to be stiffer, and the OE strut doesn't dampen that correctly and can give you a pogo stick / bouncing / hopping kind of ride.

I can't claim it won't work, but in all the other cars I've ever owned, any time someone changes out only their springs they are back in a year to replace the shocks / struts as well.

I'm sure others will chime in and say they've done it and it was fine and that's probably true. But I highly recommend getting a combination that's known to work well together.
Thanks for the good info. I understand what you mean. And yes I have seen peopne on this forum swap the springs and said it rode fine...

Bmw performance suspension is always an option...but its so expensive.
      04-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I think you should consider ST coil over suspension which is high adjustable, and since the labor is about the same and you got a much better set up than just swaping the sprigns.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

H&R sport is about right. It's very easy to do. I got the springs for now until the strut goes out then I will go with coil over. Why waste the stockers
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Boxtyp3
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 MG

Garage List
2015 F32 435  [0.00]
2002 E46 cp  [0.00]
2010 E82 135i  [0.00]
2013 E92 335i  [0.00]
I suggest a cupkit. It has a moderate drop and a paired spring rate with shocks and not as expensive as coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtyp3 View Post
I suggest a cupkit. It has a moderate drop and a paired spring rate with shocks and not as expensive as coilovers.
What company makes a cupkit?
      04-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everfly View Post
H&R sport is about right. It's very easy to do. I got the springs for now until the strut goes out then I will go with coil over. Why waste the stockers
How many miles on your setup?
      04-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnip Gnop View Post
How many miles on your setup?
300 miles and it run like a champ eventhough my road over here is not good. I would do it again over and over. For $250 and 3 hrs work done, cant go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

worth noting that most (that i know of) lowering spring kits will result in increased rake (lower the front more than the rear). people have had mixed results. when i installed eibach pro kit springs, the rear was only a hair lower than stock and the front was absolutely slammed (lowered by well over an inch). from what i've read on here this is an atypical result for eibach, but still absurd enough for me to replace them with coilovers pretty much right away. i don't know why tuners seem to think this whole "face down, ass up" thing can be good for the e82.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
worth noting that most (that i know of) lowering spring kits will result in increased rake (lower the front more than the rear). people have had mixed results. when i installed eibach pro kit springs, the rear was only a hair lower than stock and the front was absolutely slammed (lowered by well over an inch). from what i've read on here this is an atypical result for eibach, but still absurd enough for me to replace them with coilovers pretty much right away. i don't know why tuners seem to think this whole "face down, ass up" thing can be good for the e82.
This is great info. Thanks!
      04-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
300 miles and it run like a champ eventhough my road over here is not good. I would do it again over and over. For $250 and 3 hrs work done, cant go wrong.
Do you have any "bouncing" that people have complained about?
      04-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #16
dfv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 CTS-V

Eibach for a mild drop, H&R sport for a raked drop (mild rear, low front). Next step into the fray is ST coilovers (~$800 shipped new), which I personally did just to get the height adjustability. They ride decently well, firmer than stock, dampening is = to KWv1's which are good for a DD setup, I wouldn't track it on these though.

H&R's ride very well on stock dampers and the look is pretty good in person. I just installed a set last weekend for my brother. I'd go with them if you're doing a spring-only setup.

All this talk of unmatched spring rates to the stock dampers - they are all progressive, and were talking about a DD street car right? Anything sub-$2k is for looks primarily, ride second, handling in distant third. The mild drop of eibachs or H&R sports aren't going to put your dampers on death row.
      04-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #17
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post
Eibach for a mild drop, H&R sport for a raked drop (mild rear, low front). Next step into the fray is ST coilovers (~$800 shipped new), which I personally did just to get the height adjustability. They ride decently well, firmer than stock, dampening is = to KWv1's which are good for a DD setup, I wouldn't track it on these though.

H&R's ride very well on stock dampers and the look is pretty good in person. I just installed a set last weekend for my brother. I'd go with them if you're doing a spring-only setup.

All this talk of unmatched spring rates to the stock dampers - they are all progressive, and were talking about a DD street car right? Anything sub-$2k is for looks primarily, ride second, handling in distant third. The mild drop of eibachs or H&R sports aren't going to put your dampers on death row.
Well said
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Do you have any "bouncing" that people have complained about?
Hard corner or high speed turn over bump yes ( even with stock set up people still notice that )which you should not do in public road anyway. I would not track my car with this set up also like other forum member who bought the ST. I bough the lower spring for different purpose, ST is the lower end coil over money can buy for perfect drop but I won't see it as track duty.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #19
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post

The poster up a few said the eibach gives extreme rake, and you say h&r is the raked look. Is it different for some people? I can't have the front or rear any lower than an inch or it will rub. The car is a dd street car yes. Smooth roads for the most part, highway.

The fronts can be slightly lower than the rear, but not by much. I'm saying from a rubbing standpoint, not looks. I don't mind a little rake.
      04-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hard corner or high speed turn over bump yes ( even with stock set up people still notice that )which you should not do in public road anyway. I would not track my car with this set up also like other forum member who bought the ST. I bough the lower spring for different purpose, ST is the lower end coil over money can buy for perfect drop but I won't see it as track duty.
I won't be tracking this setup.
      04-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #21
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The poster up a few said the eibach gives extreme rake, and you say h&r is the raked look. Is it different for some people? I can't have the front or rear any lower than an inch or it will rub. The car is a dd street car yes. Smooth roads for the most part, highway.

The fronts can be slightly lower than the rear, but not by much. I'm saying from a rubbing standpoint, not looks. I don't mind a little rake.
My front is lightly lower than the back. Just quick cell phone pics. Also mine set up is super sport so much lower. I can't comment on the sport springs though

Last edited by Everfly; 04-23-2012 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #22
Boxtyp3
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 MG

Garage List
2015 F32 435  [0.00]
2002 E46 cp  [0.00]
2010 E82 135i  [0.00]
2013 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
What company makes a cupkit?
Actually most major brands (eibach, H&R, etc.) make them. It's a generic name for a non-height adjustable paired springs/shocks lowering kit.
Appreciate 0