BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 325i, 2012 135i

Understanding DCT

From what I gather you can switch from auto to manual, when moving, just by moving the gear shift to the left. The car will go into the manual gear relating to the auto gear the car was in. Or you can, when in auto, pull one of the paddles and the car will go into manual mode in the gear that the car was in when in auto mode.

I gather you can switch between auto and manual either moving or stationary.

Do I have this right? I do not want to ruin my transmission.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Not sure about using the paddles when you're in auto, but if you slide the lever to the left, it stays in Auto mode, but gives you more power. If you then manually shift, it goes to manual mode, and you can then shift manually.

If you stay in manual mode long enough without shifting, it supposedly goes back to auto mode, tho I've never seen that.

And, yes, you can do it on the fly. I do it all the time - shift back and forth between auto and manual.

Of course, you could just
      05-21-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
Not sure about using the paddles when you're in auto, but if you slide the lever to the left, it stays in Auto mode, but gives you more power. If you then manually shift, it goes to manual mode, and you can then shift manually.

If you stay in manual mode long enough without shifting, it supposedly goes back to auto mode, tho I've never seen that.

And, yes, you can do it on the fly. I do it all the time - shift back and forth between auto and manual.

Of course, you could just
Thank you for your response. What is the symbol after "you could just"?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
panoz7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

You're a bit off, but rest assured the computer's going to keep you from doing anything dangerous to the transmission. There's no harm in messing around with it.

If you're in auto mode and slide the shifter to the left it puts you in S mode. In S mode the shifts are a bit crisper and the transmission tends to hold lower gears longer. Because of that it may downshift on its own.

You can then put it into manual mode by either pressing one of the paddles or pushing the shifter up or down. Note that the first press of a paddle will change gears (unless you press the down paddle in first or the up paddle in 7th) not just put the car in manual mode.

If you're in auto mode and push one of the paddles it will shift gears how you told it to and stay in that gear for 15 seconds (I may be off a few second on that time) after the last manual gear change.

Here's my start-up procedure:

1. Turn the car on.
2. Put the car in drive.
3. Push the shifter to the left to engage S mode
4. Push the left paddle to go into manual mode (still in 1st gear).
5. Push the sport button
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

"If you're in auto mode and slide the shifter to the left it puts you in S mode. In S mode the shifts are a bit crisper and the transmission tends to hold lower gears longer. Because of that it may downshift on its own."

Is this the same as pressing the "S" button just below the shifter?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sochermit View Post
"If you're in auto mode and slide the shifter to the left it puts you in S mode. In S mode the shifts are a bit crisper and the transmission tends to hold lower gears longer. Because of that it may downshift on its own."

Is this the same as pressing the "S" button just below the shifter?
Nope. The "S" button gives a stronger throttle tip in and raises the shift points a bit in auto mode. The S Mode raises the shift points even more.
      05-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It appears that I will have to get out on a lonely road and practice all the different variables that can be applied. Thank you for the information.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for your response. What is the symbol after "you could just"?
= RTFM = read the effing manual
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
phrenetiK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

wouldn't that be RTEM?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Reading and applying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
= RTFM = read the effing manual
Thank you for your response. I have read the manual approximately 3 times. Reading and applying are very different. I would not like to misunderstand something someone wrote and then cause serious damage to my vehicle. I believe this is why we have blogs such as this in order to fully attempt to understand what the manual is telling us.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for your response. I have read the manual approximately 3 times. Reading and applying are very different. I would not like to misunderstand something someone wrote and then cause serious damage to my vehicle. I believe this is why we have blogs such as this in order to fully attempt to understand what the manual is telling us.
You're writing back to the wrong person...I just answered your post as politely as possible...
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
You're writing back to the wrong person...I just answered your post as politely as possible...
Please accept my apologize for responding incorrectly. My comment should have been directed to "pinmagic".
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Basically.......

If you want to potter about normally....

Leave it in D.

If you want to change up/down the odd gear, pull either paddle in D, and the box will change up/down and then after a nominal time period (a handfull of secs) will automatically revert back to D mode.

If, in D, you want to a bit more throttle response and move the shift points further up the rev range and hold onto lower gears longer, press the 'Sport' button.

If you want to have more control over gear selection, move the selector over into manual mode, and shift gears up/down using the paddles. Gearbox will still auto shift up/down at max/min parameters as set in the software.

If you want to shift manually, as above, and with the better throttle response, and faster shift speeds etc., move the selector over into manual mode AND press the 'Sport' button....... probably best described as 'Silly Grin' mode
      05-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Basically.......

If you want to potter about normally....

Leave it in D.

If you want to change up/down the odd gear, pull either paddle in D, and the box will change up/down and then after a nominal time period (a handfull of secs) will automatically revert back to D mode.

If, in D, you want to a bit more throttle response and move the shift points further up the rev range and hold onto lower gears longer, press the 'Sport' button.

If you want to have more control over gear selection, move the selector over into manual mode, and shift gears up/down using the paddles. Gearbox will still auto shift up/down at max/min parameters as set in the software.

If you want to shift manually, as above, and with the better throttle response, and faster shift speeds etc., move the selector over into manual mode AND press the 'Sport' button....... probably best described as 'Silly Grin' mode
Looks like a good plan and some place where I can start and feel comfortable. Thanks for the suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

From the manual, page 64:

Quote:
Driving dynamics control
The driving dynamics control permits you, at the push of a button, to have your BMW react in an even more sporty fashion when driving:

- Optimal use is made of the engine's speed range.
- Gear changes occur more quickly.
- The engine reacts more spontaneously to accelerator pedal movements.
Driving Dynamics Control is switched by the Sport button. NOT the S mode on the Shifter.

My interpretation of the three points above:
1) It shifts at different points on the tachmeter. (Earlier when accelerating.)
2) 200ms shifts instead of... 400ms? (Slower gear changes are smoother, therefore less noticeable to passengers.)
3) It'll downshift smartly when you step on it, instead of reluctantly downshifting when you really floor it.

A good example of how freaky things can get when with DCT is to step on it at a stoplight while in S+Sport mode and listen carefully to the shifts. It'll rev up to peak power (well before the redline) then rapidly shift up through the gears while holding RPMs in that same range. So it's like revvvvvvvv.... SHIFTSHIFTSHIFTSHIFTSHIFTSHIFTSHIFT. It doesn't sound normal, the pattern is odd to the ear -- it sounds more like something a *driver* might do.

The manual does not indicate how the automatic program may differ while in S mode, but as far as I've been able to tell the only difference between S and D is that it holds lower gears longer, judging by the tachometer. I realize this is similar to point #1 above, but it's different in the following manner: DDC shifts because you hit the pedal. S holds a gear because it's watching the revs. I'm not sure how valuable this is, given how fast the shifts are, but it does feel more responsive and quick in S and S+Sport versus D. (I have no idea if this interpretation is correct, and it should be taken with a grain of salt.)

Of course the down side of S (in auto) is that it's not as comfortable because of the additional accelerator sensitivity that comes with holding a gear into high revs, the noise from engine braking, etc. This prompts casual/traffic driving in D mode.

Last edited by Pangloss; 05-21-2012 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #16
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Technically 4 modes to explore here...

1. Basic "D" Mode
2. "S" Button Mode
3. "DS" Mode
4. "S" Button Mode + "DS" Mode
      05-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

6 modes:

D
D+Sport
S
S+Sport
M
M+Sport

I would imagine that the only difference between M and M+Sport would be the amount of time it takes to complete the shift when you pull the lever. So DDC (the Sport button) does three things in automatic (S or D), but it only changes one thing under M (see post #15 above).
      05-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #18
CrustyNoodle
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss View Post
6 modes:

D
D+Sport
S
S+Sport
M
M+Sport

I would imagine that the only difference between M and M+Sport would be the amount of time it takes to complete the shift when you pull the lever. So DDC (the Sport button) does three things in automatic (S or D), but it only changes one thing under M (see post #15 above).
Agree.