BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
SG Spiff
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Hey guys, I finally decided to join the community so I'm making my somewhat annoying/seemingly required first post thread. I've been lurking here long enough to know that pictures are a must, so they're attached below.

I have an 09 SG 135i that I bought used with about 4000 miles. I had been all set to get a 128i, but the dealer I was about to buy from tried to screw me on my trade-in. I walked out of the dealer and later found this 135i at another dealer. Those 4000 miles and few months of previous ownership brought it into my price range, so I got it and couldn't be happier.

Here's how it's optioned out:
Sport package
Taupe leather
High-gloss black trim
iPod/USB
HiFi Sound
Heated Seats
Rear park-distance sensor

If I had picked my own options I probably would have ditched the leather and the rear sensor and added bluetooth, but overall I'm pretty pleased with the options list.

This is also my first manual transmission, but I had my brother try to teach me stick a couple years ago, so it wasn't too long before I shook off my dreaded case of the stalls.

I do have a couple issues that have been mentioned on the forum. I have the popping noise that comes from the passenger-side dash. I think it has something to do with the a/c being on and expansion/contraction in the panels. Also, my third brake light is cracked. Both of these issues are extremely minor to me but I'll mention them next time I'm at the dealer.

In about a month, I'll be moving from Dayton, OH to Palo Alto, CA, and I'll be driving out there with a couple friends and all my worldly possessions stuffed in my car. I'll be sure to post a thread about that when the time comes and let you guys know how that works out.

As promised, here are the pictures. The car is dirty and the camera is crappy, but you've all seen one of these before.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Congrats and welcome!

And that popping noise may be from the fastener joins on the brace strut under the hood. At least that's what my SA thinks and I agree. The center vent issue is more of a rattle.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
Congrats and welcome!

And that popping noise may be from the fastener joins on the brace strut under the hood. At least that's what my SA thinks and I agree. The center vent issue is more of a rattle.
interesting, i heard that popping noise coming out of a sharp turn but didnt have a way to describe it...sounds like that could be the issue though.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

welcome aboard and nice choice.
      07-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Excitmnt94
Detailer & Fitness Freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i ///M Sport Coupe

strange...i notice you have a little storage compartment there on the center of your dash on the top. i have no such compartment...

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
SG Spiff
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Quote:
The reason I thought the popping might be from the panels is that, the first time I heard it, the plastic sunglasses I was wearing (which were hot since they had been sitting in my car in the sun) made a really similar popping noise immediately after. This is far from scientific evidence and it may well have been a coincidence, but that's where I came up with the idea.

Quote:
strange...i notice you have a little storage compartment there on the center of your dash on the top. i have no such compartment...
I just looked at a couple interior shots on the forum and the bmw website and in neither place found another interior with that compartment. I don't know why I have it. You're not missing out on much though; it's kind of out of the way and anything you put in it gets extremely hot in the sun, including the aforementioned sunglasses. I thought my face was going to burn off.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Welcome. Nice color combination.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
CrazyIvan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG Spiff View Post
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

The reason I thought the popping might be from the panels is that, the first time I heard it, the plastic sunglasses I was wearing (which were hot since they had been sitting in my car in the sun) made a really similar popping noise immediately after. This is far from scientific evidence and it may well have been a coincidence, but that's where I came up with the idea.

I just looked at a couple interior shots on the forum and the bmw website and in neither place found another interior with that compartment. I don't know why I have it. You're not missing out on much though; it's kind of out of the way and anything you put in it gets extremely hot in the sun, including the aforementioned sunglasses. I thought my face was going to burn off.
Congrats and welcome! I wonder if that compartment is some kind of freak mix up. Almost looks like iDrive but it isnt. Odd. You can always say that your car is different
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
touareg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

congrats! i also just got my 135i and it's also my first manual...the stalling stopped about a week ago
      07-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Dodo
Extinct
Germany
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitmnt94 View Post
This is the dash top storage bin that can be ordered in other markets as part of the storage package (SO493). There is also a DIY for a retrofit here:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222753
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
SG Spiff
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by touareg View Post
congrats! i also just got my 135i and it's also my first manual...the stalling stopped about a week ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodo View Post
This is the dash top storage bin that can be ordered in other markets as part of the storage package (SO493). There is also a DIY for a retrofit here:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222753
I guess the mystery is solved. Except for how it found its way into my car...
Appreciate 0