BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #45
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
It is not a matter you like or not, mud flap is a must if you want some protection for the paint. You will get use to the look and glad you get it.
YES.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 02:55 AM   #46
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Those of you installing your own guards, on the front guards, you don't have to use the long black plastic rivet for the bottom side sill hole. Remove the one that's already there and then reuse it. It goes in MUCH easier than the floppy piece in the kit.

You remove 2 rivets on the inside wheel well, you'll see once you're there.
To remove those rivets you have to push in the middle of them, there is a pin in the middle. Push in that pin and the rivet is easily removed.
Use the new rivets supplied
I didn't use any other fasteners. The 2 small rivets, the larger one on the bottom, and the tape are plenty to hold the guard strongly in place.

On the rear, you don't have to remove the wheels or lift the car.
Remove 1 8mm screw on the inside of the wheel well, the one above the lowest one.
Simply use a ratchet to remove it. You'll have room.
Do not remove the lowest one. It looks like it will line up with one of the holes in the rear guard, but it doesn't.
Remove another 8mm screw on the bottom. You will reuse these 2 screws, careful where you put them.
You will also use 1 of the long plastic spikes from the front guard kit.
Peel the tape, jam the guard into place, not need to be forceful.
Insert the 8mm screw in the hole on the inside of the wheel well. Insert the other 8mm screw into the hole at the bottom, and tighten both screws up nice and snug.
There is plenty of holding strength using those 2 screws and the tape.
Then insert the long plastic rivet from the front guard kit into the far hole, farthest into the wheel well. Insert it with the pointy side going through the hole and coming out towards the rear of the car. Push it in with your hand on the wheel well side, while pulling on it with your other hand towards the rear of the car.
It takes some pressure to get it through. That's it! You're done.
On the passenger side rear guard it's a bit different as you won't use the long plastic rivet. That side will be held by the 2 8mm screws and the tape.
It's plenty of holding power.

I didn't use a single screw from the rear guard kit. I just used the existing hardware, and the long plastic rivets from the front guard kit.
I didn't use those on the front as they area pain in the ass to get in as they bend easy.
One fellow forum member used an allen key and inserted it into the hole in the long plastic rivet. Smart guy. The existing plastic rivet works just fine and is stiffer, so I just reused it.
To get the small plastic rivets to mount flush, I used a small rubber hammer and something to put over the rivet to slowly pound it into place. DO NOT use something thin like a nail as it will simply push the pin in the rivet through it's hole and the rivet won't hold. The pin in the middle is the "spreader" for the rivet.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #47
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
i wouldn't put either on the car myself...i think they really detract from the clean lines of the car

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #48
Ibedon
1More
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Coupe

I put the flaps on myself.

They look nice. Not a "gotta have" nice, but nice.