BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i DCT M Sport

New to BMW, want to buy a 135 but need advice. Thx

Noobie here..lol
Honda guy all the way but sadly HMC just isnt catering to enthusiasts anymore.
Want in to the BMW world but quite honestly overwhelmed with all that needs to be considered.
Currently have 09 accord coupe; nice but just too slow and large. Car I traded for the accord was an RSX-s that burned oil since day 1

Looking at 135 but finding them is tough new or used here in San Antonio.
Here are some things I'm working through:

- Go new or used? Is the 54 motor that much better than the 55 to consider used only? If so, what about the HPFP issues?...

- What model years have the 54 & what is the best MY 135 to search for??

- If going for new, should I jump now or wait until MY2014?

- Total cost of ownership and reliability: once the warranty runs out and aging begins, do BMW's hold up well or are they constantly in need of repairs? (I'm an aircraft mech and ex honda tech so most maintenance stuff is do-able for me)

As you can see, I have alot of work to do researching this stuff. I'm patient and want to do the right thing especially considering the $$ involved. I also looked at the Audi A5 but fear reliability issues down the road. My intentions are to get the car I want and keep her til the wheels fall off. I'm even prepared to pay extra for the color I want, Valencia orange metallic which the dealer told me I could special order for an additional 3 grand, ouch- cant believe I just said that.

Thx in advance for any guidance or advice from a total noobie to not just this board but BMW in general!!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oh, and 1 other thing. (Small rant) Can't believe factory alarms and keyless entry are not standard. Im finding out real quick that BMW makes a ton on all the options- some totally worthless and others priceless.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
Oh, and 1 other thing. (Small rant) Can't believe factory alarms and keyless entry are not standard. Im finding out real quick that BMW makes a ton on all the options- some totally worthless and others priceless.
Meh. Car alrams are totally pointless, IMO. Just something to irritate the neighbors.

Keyless entry is standard, if you mean that you can get into the car without putting a key in the door (lock/unlock with key fob). But if you're talking about unlocking the door and starting the car just with the keys in your pocket (which BMW calls Comfort Access) that is not standard. I don't think this is standard on nay car, is it? Utterly pointless feature as well, IMO. I wouldn't even want it if it was free.

I think if you're shopping for a used 135i you're much better off not getting hung up on these really minor features, or you'll never find a car.
      05-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Since you asked about maintenance/reliability after the warranty expires - factor in some additional cost for more maintenance while the car is in warranty.

If you plan to keep the car for the long haul, I'd recommend changing the 'lifetime fill' fluids periodically, and changing the non-lifetime fluids & filters at shorter intervals than BMW suggests.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

If you can't find a car, order one. Since you noticed BMW options are expensive, this will save you some serious money. Do you really need BMW assist for $650?
      05-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
FOACAD
Airborne!
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW/CR 135i Msport

Id say just order a new one. Thats what i did as it was hard to find a 135i new or used in the fashion i wanted it.

You will be fine with the n55, im sure some n54 nuthuggers will come in and say no way no how never get anything but n54, but the n55 is a great engine as well and the only way youd get the "difference" between them is if you went full bore on mods, even then its not a massive difference.

Go to a dealer with a car mapped out the way you want it and ask for 500 over invoice and you will most likely get it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys, keep em comin..
Just saw an awesome deal right here in the 'cars for sale' section for a 2011. I am flexible enough to be satisfied with a used as long as it has a few of the options I'm looking for.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
eaglemike
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E88 N55

I ended up with a low mile 2011. I wanted the later car because it has more warranty left. I ended up with a very well equipped car, at a price lower than blue book. Do a lot of reading and shopping to be sure you get the car you will be happy with.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Dont listen to all the hype about it being a big deal to maintain a bmw. they are so well made i find the opposite to be true. if you have no mechanical ability maybe. but most people DIY here.
Keyless entry has been standard on bmws since like 1997 lol. What you are referring to is comfort access, where the car knows when you are around / in it and you just keep the key in your pocket. it is an amazing option and i love it.

n54 and n55 are both great motors, i wouldnt stress too much about finding either. similarly the 128 is a great car too. you can't go wrong with a 1 series.
try to get the manual transmission. if there is anything to lock onto it is a manual transmission, reasonably loaded car, with hopefully the two tone terracotta interior
      05-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
ba83
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

I have driven both the N54 and N55 and unless you are looking to squeeze every single drop of HP out of the engine, both will work just fine

It will take a while to find the right color combo but you will find one and its worth the wait. Ordering a new one would be atleast $8-10k more than a low miles 2011 with the same options.
Unless you drive in heavy traffic all the time, manual is must on this car
      05-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

I am also a Honda guy and I came from an 04 Acura TL 6MT to a '12 135 convertible.
I bought new for the warranty. You will have to order one if you go new because they don't stock these things especially if you want specific colors or options.

Unless you plan on doing a lot of mods the N55 is fine.

As for total cost of ownership I'm not sure. As noted I normally buy Japanese brands so I have pretty high expectations for cars. If you buy new you get 4 years 50k with no costs out of pocket. After that I have a decision to make; dump the car, buy the extended warranty or just keep it and roll the dice. Not sure what I will do. I'll see how the car holds up through the first 4 years before I make a decision. I've only had it less than 3 months now but I plan on driving it as if I'm going to keep it for the long haul.

I was also surprised at what BMW considered "Optional Equipment" in my $50k car (like leather seats). I guess the upside is that you can pick and choose what you want and not pay for what you don't. Comfort access is dumb IMO and I have it in my other two cars. In both cases it was part of a package but I would not pay actual money for it.

Also some options require others; I wanted the upgraded stero ($875) but couldn't get it unless I also bought the BMW Assist I didn't want. So the stereo would have cost me $1500 no thanks. Also wanted the parking assist thing but that requires the aforementioned Comfort Access option, again no thanks. So pretty soon a $50k car becomes a $55k car before you know it. Apparently this is standard BMW practice I just wasn't used to it.
      05-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

If you are new to BMWs you should also consider the European Delivery (ED) and Performance Center Delivery (PCD). Ed is you taking delivery in Munich with a 7% discount on the car. Insurance for two weeks driving in Europe is included as is transportation to you in the U.S. You get a subsidized to free European vacation if you pick the car up in Munich. There are dealers which specialize in this. They will probably be out of state but that is no huge obstacle. You have to pay for your flights to Europe, hotels, etc..

Instead of delivery to your selected dealer, you can get your car delivered to the BMW Performance Center outside Greenville, SC. You again have to get yourself there but BMW pays for you to stay at the Marriott in Greenville the night before, dinner and breakfast at the Marriott and lunch at the Performance Center. In the morning you play in their cars on the track and after lunch you get delivery. It's a lot of fun.

So if you get a new one, think about ED and/or PCD. I did the latter and enjoyed it. There is a forum on Bimmerfest for both ED and PCD with a lot more information.

I ordered my128i with minimum equipment - sports package and walnut interior trim were my only options. I'm still happy with my choice but I know many would rather have more "stuff". The normally aspirated 6 has not had the HPFP issues at least the early N54s seemed to sometimes have. I also think it's more than adequate in acceleration but that, again, is an individual choice thing. The 128i is probably about like an Accord V6 in acceleration. The 135i is more like a V8 sporty car - Mustang or Camero - in acceleration. BMW seems to work hard on Noise Vibration Harshness (NVH) so these comparisons are rough. A BMW is smoother in power delivery than an Accord or Mustang or Camero.

Jim
      05-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
kensington
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Any 135i from any year will make you happy. I bought a used one with a few months of the factory warranty left, then bought a 4 year extended warranty. So my ride is covered the entire time Im making payments on it (cost around $2000).

Its an amazing car and puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport

I ordered my 2012 135i new because I wanted it exactly the way I wanted it. Yes, I paid considerably more than used but I'm certain nobody thrashed the turbo and I got the exact color combo and options I wanted. I figured in for a penny, in for a pound and don't fret the extra cash. I'm keeping this car a loooong time.

I wanted the N55 rather than the N54. I'm not a modder and I figured getting the same performance with fewer turbos was a good thing from a fewer things to go wrong standpoint. I've never heard of any HPFP issues on the N55 and I believe with improvements and extended warranties they've been pretty much taken care of on the N54. As others have said, either way you're going to be happy.
      05-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep

Yes, its worth noting that a 135 is not a car I would buy used.
Its a car that lends itself to being modded and being driven on a daily basis like it was stolen.
IMO you buy a 4-cylinder Accord used and between the facts that its a Honda and a 4-cyl. Accourd you're probably pretty safe.
I read through this forum and told myself there's no way in hell I'm buying a used 135, CPO or not.
      05-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #16
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Also a Honda convert. Came from an S2000 for the same reasons you stated, nothing from Honda is for the enthusiest anymore.
You won't be disspointed by a 135, N54 or N55, it's a fantastic car that only makes me miss my S2000 once in a great while. As far as reliability, just remember, it's not a Honda. You will take it in to the dealer or a shop more than you may be used to. If you accept that up front, it's not so bad. The car more than makes up for the occasional inconvenience in my mind. Still under factory warranty, so I can't talk to the long term costs. But I do plan on plunking a couple grand in a savings account just in case. Think that's a better way to go than the seriously expensive extended warrantys.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #17
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks ssssoooooo much for all your great advice!!
I may have found just the car....it's actually located in the cars for sale section right here in the forum. A 2011 with only 5800 miles bone stock.
The owner and I are already working the paperwork. I hear ya on the risk for an abused used car but i will roll the dice on this one. The owner seems very honest and up front on every question I have asked him including his driving habits: "spirited but responsible"
Wish me luck and thanks again- this forum rocks
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
kensington
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
I may have found just the car....it's actually located in the cars for sale section right here in the forum. A 2011 with only 5800 miles bone stock.
The owner and I are already working the paperwork. I hear ya on the risk for an abused used car but i will roll the dice on this one. The owner seems very honest and up front on every question I have asked him including his driving habits: "spirited but responsible"
Wish me luck and thanks again- this forum rocks
For every person that drives their car hard, theres another one that babies it like me because its my pride and joy. I cant afford to beat it to death, lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #19
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Good luck! You won't be disappointed.
I wanted also to stay in a Honda. I came from a turbo CR-x and turbo 06 Civic SI. The wife drives an 08 Acura TL. Not once in the four years of owning my 1er have I regretted the switch. The motor and comfort of this car is just untouchable considering it's price range. I'll be out of warranty this August (and back in Germany as well) but I am not in the least worried about reliability as the only main issue (hpfp) is covered until 100k or 2018.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensington View Post
For every person that drives their car hard, theres another one that babies it like me because its my pride and joy. I cant afford to beat it to death, lol.
My 135 doesnt do burnouts or donuts or jack rabbit starts at every light. Im not 21 years old and looking for a race with every car that pulls alongside. The car is enjoyed but not abused. I do oil changes in half the BMW reommended time and car gets waxed often. Whoever buys it down the road will be getting a real good car.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #21
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm always curious as to why people get rid of a car after a year or so and less than 10 or 12k miles.

They got killed in depreciation and didn't even really get to enjoy the car.