BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #155
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
Really need to check out @BMWlady 's valves
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #156
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

I don't think he needs to put more Valvoline in her valves, she's blocked up already
      12-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #157
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM e82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiuM
I don't think he needs to put more Valvoline in her valves, she's blocked up already
-__-
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #158
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
Quote:
:
      12-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #159
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiuM View Post
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #160
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

wtf LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #161
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
Quote:
[IMG]http://images.wikia.com/vampirediari...at_I_mean_.png[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:29 AM   #162
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
OT. How's the conversion coming along Flinchy?

didn't want to clutter the for sale

It's in every piece imaginable still lol, i've taken over an entire bedroom with the parts.

Got parts from the states on order, and it's a few week lead time for the valves (and rods too i believe)

Consisting of:
9.5:1 JE pistons w/coating (hoping the drop works out for me lol)
??? Forged rods with stronger larger bearings
ARP head/main studs
SS intake valves, Inconel +1mm Exhaust valves

also VAC sump baffle

and want to try and find myself a place to get some valve springs made.. or at least confirm the stock springs (which are allegedly pretty high quality) ability to perform safely how i want . Pain in the ass now i'm back at work

then have to put in a massive parts order too big to list of all the gaskets, bolts, seals, turbo rebuild etc.

give it to shops to get machined/improved and get the bottom end and head reassembled..

then i still need loads of bits like the radiator - wish i could afford the PWR one straight up -, an FMIC of some sort, maybe just the VRSF one until i actually NEED something larger if ever.. i'd like to get a better oil cooler(s) straight away.. Finding new stuff I need every now and then, like a few power steering parts i think, as well as all the AC lines.

With how much it's all costing, i'm going to cross my fingers that my current coils will work at least for a couple of months after install, and likely the injectors/HPFP too (not difficult to swap once the engine is in at least).. also given that upgrades are being developed for the HPFP

tl;dr i just need to spend all my money right now basically...

going to start being interesting really soon, hopefully a few months away from being in, or at least mostly in with me going 'ahh shit'.

oh and i just found out there's a company (maybe 2) that's making cams for the N54, so if it turns out they're a worthwhile upgrade and don't cost too much over $1k (and actually get released), that might delay it by a few weeks too lol. bugger getting that done just after assembly.

Last edited by flinchy; 01-15-2014 at 03:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:32 AM   #163
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Good luck with it dude!

What turbos are you going to be running?

Also what HPFP upgrades are there?

I wouldn't worry with the cams if i was you, as you will have plenty on your plate as is!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:51 AM   #164
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Glad to hear it's coming along nicely. If I were you I wouldn't wait for new parts to be released or you could be waiting forever. I quickly learned a lot of companies never come through with the goods for one reason or another, so stick with what's out right now and readily available. It's been a while since we've seen some photos too.

+1 on more HPFP info.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 05:54 AM   #165
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl
Good luck with it dude!

What turbos are you going to be running?

Also what HPFP upgrades are there?

I wouldn't worry with the cams if i was you, as you will have plenty on your plate as is!
Cheers

Turbos will be rebuilt stockers at first, can't stomach the $3k+ for stage 2's/rb's right now, and the rebuild is only $50 or $100 or something kit + a bit of labour

Eventually hopefully skip the stage 2's but we'll see lol

There's an member (i think he's on here, thread titled 'single turbo' or something) looking at a dual hpfp setup.. And so is vargas, at least he mentioned that's where their current investigations have led.

Hpfpugrade is still in limbo, i emailed them and got 'soon'.. I also got 'soon' 4 months ago lol

Then we get to see where the injectors limit!

Haha yes i agree on the cams.. but i should be able to afford them, and doing them now is cheaper in the long run .. And i'm not much in the business of doing the sensible thing (i'll start soon i promise lol)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 05:56 AM   #166
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86
Glad to hear it's coming along nicely. If I were you I wouldn't wait for new parts to be released or you could be waiting forever. I quickly learned a lot of companies never come through with the goods for one reason or another, so stick with what's out right now and readily available. It's been a while since we've seen some photos too.

+1 on more HPFP info.
Yeah i got sick of nothing happening for so long, but it happens i guess

do agree on the waiting, they told me specs/details in 1-2 weeks, production in a month

That's well within rebuild timeframe, and i definitely won't wait holding my breath for delays.

I'll grab a couple after work tomorrow

Ed: here's a couple

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Wont let me properly link
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 06:27 AM   #167
Tab135
Banned
Rep
Drives: My10 BMW 135

Link to the cams ??
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 06:35 AM   #168
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD135
Link to the cams ??
Nothing yet

Company called catcams, seem to have done bmw/bmw vanos stuff in the past.

There's a totally unconfirmed rumour crower is working on some too (no reply for me). I also asked schrick again but that'll probably be 'no' again.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 12:57 AM   #169
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Cheers

Turbos will be rebuilt stockers at first, can't stomach the $3k+ for stage 2's/rb's right now, and the rebuild is only $50 or $100 or something kit + a bit of labour

Eventually hopefully skip the stage 2's but we'll see lol

There's an member (i think he's on here, thread titled 'single turbo' or something) looking at a dual hpfp setup.. And so is vargas, at least he mentioned that's where their current investigations have led.

Hpfpugrade is still in limbo, i emailed them and got 'soon'.. I also got 'soon' 4 months ago lol

Then we get to see where the injectors limit!

Haha yes i agree on the cams.. but i should be able to afford them, and doing them now is cheaper in the long run .. And i'm not much in the business of doing the sensible thing (i'll start soon i promise lol)
Hmm a dual hpfp setup, why hasn't someone thought of that sooner! I imagine that would be quite a complex setup that's for sure, it will be interesting to see what transpires on this one!

No offence, but from my angle i think its kinda crazy you're chasing cams which essentially offer little gains (and from my limited experience with cams you don't want to be running guinea pig spec cams!) and not putting that $ towards upgraded turbos instead?

Half the cost of the turbo upgrade (once you have your transplant in) will be installation costs, which poses the question why are you running upgraded pistons/rods/head yet still running oem turbos?

I'm kinda reading between the lines thinking perhaps you're setting yourself up for a big $ ST setup (hence the upgraded hardware yet oem turbos?)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 12:59 AM   #170
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There's a totally unconfirmed rumour crower is working on some too (no reply for me)
Pfft crower have been crowing on about the cam upgrade for as long as the HPF 335i ST kit
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 02:27 AM   #171
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Hmm a dual hpfp setup, why hasn't someone thought of that sooner! I imagine that would be quite a complex setup that's for sure, it will be interesting to see what transpires on this one!

No offence, but from my angle i think its kinda crazy you're chasing cams which essentially offer little gains (and from my limited experience with cams you don't want to be running guinea pig spec cams!) and not putting that $ towards upgraded turbos instead?

Half the cost of the turbo upgrade (once you have your transplant in) will be installation costs, which poses the question why are you running upgraded pistons/rods/head yet still running oem turbos?

I'm kinda reading between the lines thinking perhaps you're setting yourself up for a big $ ST setup (hence the upgraded hardware yet oem turbos?)
yeah it was discussed ages ago but 'easier' single HPFP upgrades were tried.. honestly no clue where it'll go, but the developers of it seem to think it should be relatively straight forward to install even. will see!... as for how it'll be controlled and tuned? i'll let more cluey people think about that lol. Maybe the DME will just see the pressure and control it happily off a split signal or something. Also can't wait to see that dealt with!

Not 'chasing' cams, wouldn't buy unless there's verified gains... And were i to go upgraded turbo/s i'd probably look at skipping hybrids. A single would see even more gains up top from a good set of cams potentially lol.

as for turbo upgrade, i'd DIY anyway (for the bolt in stage 2's, not custom fabbed stuff, i can't weld yet ), so wouldn't be THAT expensive no, just more difficult. and why run OEM turbos? i have about $10k right now to get this in, and that doesn't fit upgraded turbos lol... i mean.. imported and all, a pair of hybrids and all hardware needed will run me.. what.. close to $4k inc unavoidable taxes?.. a couple $k more and i have at minimum a GTX35 or something, which sounds much more appealing.

so at last point, yes that's the long term (a year or two lol) thought. The controlling/tuning (and of course fuelling) of them still isn't perfect anyway, so rather build now and do later... by then 700+whp without issue will be old news too haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Pfft crower have been crowing on about the cam upgrade for as long as the HPF 335i ST kit
true.. if they can't see a market to develop them by now, they must be blind :/
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #172
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

VAC just piped up saying there's a possibility they'll be working with CATCAMS on them, which is great news given VAC's history, and what they already do on the N54 head wise.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #173
Crai135
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i m sport package

Just read the post. Why don't you sell the engine, the car and all the parts and buy a 135. With all engine conversions come gremlins. These gremlins and teething issues sometimes last several months and cost a lot of money and eat a lot of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 06:05 AM   #174
Crai135
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i m sport package

Also turbo rebuilds cost around 850 to 1500 each depending on balancing of the turbo shaft. When you pull turbos apart they need to be put together correctly and balanced or they just disintegrate.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 06:42 AM   #175
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crai135
Just read the post. Why don't you sell the engine, the car and all the parts and buy a 135. With all engine conversions come gremlins. These gremlins and teething issues sometimes last several months and cost a lot of money and eat a lot of time.
Because we already have a 135???

Flinchy isn't doing the build because he wants a 135, it's to have something a little more unique
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #176
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crai135 View Post
because we have a 135 (as @BMWlady said), and it's not about what's 'easy'.. This is relatively unique. also it's cheaper, and i get a built motor.. it'll cost MAYBE as much as i can get a 135 for, be cooler, and be .. well, better, motor wise? haha.. motor+build+box+clutch will be less than $20k.

this is a direct bolt in factory ECU factory factory everything swap

there should be NO gremlins, as again, it's completely factory bolt in... albeit a fair bit of aftermarket like the engine mount bushes and stuff... Only things i'd expect to be gremlins would be things i want to replace anyway, like injectors and LPFP+HPFP.

time and money aren't a concern either, either way haha.

and more importantly, i'm getting more FUN and SATISFACTION doing this. Do i regret it a little? of course haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crai135 View Post
Also turbo rebuilds cost around 850 to 1500 each depending on balancing of the turbo shaft. When you pull turbos apart they need to be put together correctly and balanced or they just disintegrate.

no, it costs about $850 a turbo for BNIB factory turbos.. heck, stage 1 vargas stuff for $1600 a pair

it's a $100 rebuild kit ($85 maybe even), then maybe $100 per turbo each in labour... have already looked into it

ED:
scrap that

http://performance.vargasturbo.com/s...products_id=29

$1100 for rebuilt factory stuff, upgraded wastegate, new wastegate actuator...

http://performance.vargasturbo.com/bmw-products/

$1700 for stage 1.

but like i said, i'll just be getting a fresh seal kit (turbos only did <50kkm) and a shop can rebuild it for me haha

Last edited by flinchy; 02-01-2014 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 0