BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i

Unhappy Spot of clear coat peeled. How can I fix this?

Don't want to respray the entire bumper. The quote from the dealer was like ~1300.

They wouldn't fix it under warranty, either. F-ckers.

Could I rattle some clear on this spot, then wet sand smooth? The paint underneath seems fine, and when the bumpers wet it's hardly noticeable.

The rest of the bumper is in great shape, and I've noticed resprayed bumpers just aren't as resilient.

It's about the size of a quarter.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
geebee
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i - M Sport

I've fixed similar problems on other cars, so I'm not sure if BMW clearcoat and paint will react the same way, but what I did was wet sand it down to remove any frayed edges, tape and spray clear coat; let dry, sand, re-spray clear coat, repeat (and really let this dry so the contour settles before your final sand).

Make sure that there is excess clearcoat that can be wet sanded away and then clay the area to smooth it out completely.

Re-wax and it should be better than ever.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebee View Post
I've fixed similar problems on other cars, so I'm not sure if BMW clearcoat and paint will react the same way, but what I did was wet sand it down to remove any frayed edges, tape and spray clear coat; let dry, sand, re-spray clear coat, repeat (and really let this dry so the contour settles before your final sand).

Make sure that there is excess clearcoat that can be wet sanded away and then clay the area to smooth it out completely.

Re-wax and it should be better than ever.
I'm afraid to try and feather the edges for fear of taking off the underlying paint.

I would rather just spray it, then wet sand. Maybe I should just take it in.
Appreciate 0