BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
TheHunter
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

2 weird Ipod problems

Hello all:
I have two problems with my iPod. I have done some searching here but found nothing, so I thought I would go ahead and ask.

I have the Premium sound system and the factory iPod adapter with Y-cable.
I have had the car since June and it has worked fine until the last month or so.

Problem #1: Sometime (about 20% of the time) I will be listening to a track on the iPod, stop the car and turn the ignition off (while the audio is on). When I return and turn the ignition back on, instead of continuing where I left off, it will start playing the first track on the iPod! If I turn the audio off before I turn the ignition off, it does not seem to have this problem. Has anyone else ever seen this?

Problem #2: Sometimes, when I start the car, the audio will continue where I left off, but it will be in "fast forward" mode. That is, the audio is skipping forward as when you press the |> button. When it does this, I can not get it to play normally again without turning it off, disconnecting the iPod, pressing "play" on the ipod, turning the iPod off, reconnecting it to the adapter. This is quite frustrating, as you can imagine. This happens about one a week! Again, I have not heard anyone here complain about this before. Maybe my iPod is bad? I have never had this problem while playing it outside of the car.

Thanks for any help.

Hunter
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
rawbert54
Private First Class
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: sedona Reda 128i

#1 a lot of electronics require a proper shut down sequence, especially since everything is basically a mini computer these days. It would seem that by turning off your car without turning off the audio first, you may be skipping this some how.
#2 Ive got no idea there.

I would first start by borrowing a friends ipod and see if the problem happens with his. If not, then it may be your ipod. If it is your ipod, try restoring it through itunes, (after backing up). Maybe even try reformatting it if you want to be extra sure its not your ipod.
If the problem does happen with your friends ipod, then take your car to bmw.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

This sounds like it could be an issue with the iPod. What kind of iPod is it, and has it been updated recently? You may find it needs an update if there is some kind of firmware issue.

Alternatively, my wife's Nano is problematic in this regards, sometimes it will not switch-off when it should, this causes it to run itself out of power (which may in turn force the playing track to be lost). You may want to leave the iPod out on the seat, so you can look at it from out of the car a few times over night to see if it is turning off, or doing anything weird.

Finally, you may want to try a hard-reset of the iPod, it's not destructive in any way and can cure a miriad of weird iPod problems. They are documented on the Apple site below:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1320