BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
tyorll
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Stainless steel or aluminium pedal set (alternative to Performance pedals)

I have seen a couple of posts about the M Performance pedal sets around, and some others showing carbon fibre pedal replacements. I had a quick look around ebay for the same and found these for ~$30 (19 pounds) + shipping for RHD manual transmission and thought I'd take a risk and see what they were like.

Seller items (for when listings below expire and cannot be found):
http://shop.ebay.com.au/3amotor/m.ht...id=p4340.l2562

RHD set:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BMW-E81-E82-E...item1e613d00ac

LHD set:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M...Q5fAccessories

Auto set LHD:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BMW-LHD-Pedal...item1e613d17f0

To my surprise, they fit perfectly! There was no drilling required for the clutch and brake pedals, and the accelerator was easy enough to remove from the car, drill the 4 required holes and bolt the new metal pedal on top.

The footwell pedal was also included in this package and it was easy enough to drill four pilot holes into the stock plastic pad and mount it over the top.

Looks amazing, about 10-15 minutes work. Very grippy, at least equal to the stock rubber clutch/brake pedals and much improved from the stock plastic accelerator and footwell pads.

Just wanted to give people heads up that these cheapies are actually quite good quality (one of the screw holes was not completely drilled on one of the brake/clutch pedals but easily fixed by ramming a screw through it by hand). I was very happy not to have to drill through the clutch and brake pedals as some other sets require.

Pictures from my phone (apologise for quality):

Thanks Satalite for your install photos!
Attached Images

Last edited by tyorll; 03-14-2011 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: Added Satalites photos
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
tyorll
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Well, while the tuner's and OEM are stainless steel, they are way over priced for what they are.

Nice find. LHD model also?
same guy sells the LHD model. Obviously I can't vouch for fitment of the LHD =P

But I fully expect fitment would be identical except for the footwell pad.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
Choclove23
Infrequent Browser
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i M-Sport

Garage List
How much was postage?
Does it have a bit on the back that alloed you to avoid drilling the two pedals?

Black 130i M Sport; 18" Oz Ultraleggra; 225/40 & 245/35.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
tyorll
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choclove23 View Post
How much was postage?
Does it have a bit on the back that alloed you to avoid drilling the two pedals?
postage was ~$15 to Australia? Can check his shipping quote directly depending where you are located.

The kit is supplied with the bolts, nuts and small washers to enable you to mount them directly onto the clutch and brake pedals without requiring a drill. The only drilling required is on the footwell pad and into the stock accelerator pad - both of which are plastic as opposed to the brake pad which would require drilling through metal (8 holes in total).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Choclove23
Infrequent Browser
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Great.
They look like the Ac Schnitzer pedals:

Think I'll get some.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
tyorll
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Great.
They look like the Ac Schnitzer pedals:
Think I'll get some.
They look identical minus the company brand logo. Personally the brand logo is a bit of a turn off for me. The plain, stainless steel finish is best. I don't particularly want to drive a car full of advertisements. I prefer the stock sleeper look exterior-wise.

If you purchase these, be sure to post back about your own experience with the install/finish/quality!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Choclove23
Infrequent Browser
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I've sent a message as the pedals are no longer listed.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
tyorll
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I've sent a message as the pedals are no longer listed.
search under his username, he has heaps of sets listed. Also stocks a variety of front grills (black, chrome, black chrome, CF), spoiler, etc... but I don't know about the quality of any of these parts.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/3amotor/m.ht....c0.m270.l1313
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Looks good I might grab a pair! Good find!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
tyorll
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Couple of images that may be helpful for installs (note not the same set of aluminium pedals that I used):

1) accelerator - small circle that needs to be flipped to access hex bolt.
http://img130.imageshack.us/i/accelz.jpg/

2) brake/clutch pedals with the stock rubber covers removed.
http://img684.imageshack.us/i/nakedpads.jpg/
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Great set! Just purchased and will be installing later this week into next week.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
Unkie
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ditto. Its under my feet so not too fussed about little margins in fitment. Just looking forward to having some nice aluminium in the footwell to match the trim
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

I have a question:

What's your concern about having to drill holes through the brake/clutch pedals if you already had to drill for the accelerator and footrest? If you drilled 2 of the 4 then what would it hurt to simply drill the whole set?

Also, if you did not drill the brake/clutch pedals, how did you attach them since they came with screws for mounting purposes?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #14
tyorll
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
I have a question:

What's your concern about having to drill holes through the brake/clutch pedals if you already had to drill for the accelerator and footrest? If you drilled 2 of the 4 then what would it hurt to simply drill the whole set?

Also, if you did not drill the brake/clutch pedals, how did you attach them since they came with screws for mounting purposes?
The footwell/accelerator are plastic and in the case of the accelerator are removeable. Drilling into these is effortless. Not so the case for the brake/clutch pedals.

Having said that, it's just a plus about the design that you don't drill the clutch/brake pedal. Drilling holes wouldn't be that much more involved but it would be a little tricky trying to get purchase on the metal in exactly the right spot. For this set, instead they supply 4 allen screws, nuts and washers which you insert through the aluminium pedal cover and these closely hug the brake/clutch pedals in the car (with the stock rubber covers removed) and you then sandwich the aluminium cover onto the pedal using the washers and nuts from behind.

The price for the quality of the pedals is what impressed me most.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #15
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyorll View Post
The footwell/accelerator are plastic and in the case of the accelerator are removeable. Drilling into these is effortless. Not so the case for the brake/clutch pedals.

Having said that, it's just a plus about the design that you don't drill the clutch/brake pedal. Drilling holes wouldn't be that much more involved but it would be a little tricky trying to get purchase on the metal in exactly the right spot. For this set, instead they supply 4 allen screws, nuts and washers which you insert through the aluminium pedal cover and these closely hug the brake/clutch pedals in the car (with the stock rubber covers removed) and you then sandwich the aluminium cover onto the pedal using the washers and nuts from behind.

The price for the quality of the pedals is what impressed me most.
I see, so what are the screws for the brake/clutch pedal for if you didn't drill holes through them? In short, how did you put them on?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #16
tyorll
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud
I see, so what are the screws for the brake/clutch pedal for if you didn't drill holes through them? In short, how did you put them on?
Ok refering to the aluminium pedals as covers, and the car brake/clutch pedals as pedals I'll explain as follows:

Stock brake/clutch pedals are covered by rubber covers which you just pull off exposing the naked brake/clutch pedals. The supplied aluminium covers come pre-drilled, with a set of 4x allen bolts, 4x washers and 4x nuts. The pre-drilled holes in the supplied covers overlap the margins of the car's pedals and you simply affix the covers to the pedals by placing the allen bolts through the front of the aluminium covers and then affixing the washers and nuts from behind the pedals to the allen bolts. This in effect will sandwich the pedals between the washers and the aluminium covers and any potential movement is prevented as there is a rubber pad that sits behind the aluminium cover between it and the pedal (and in fact extrudes through the cut slits in the cover to provide grip for your feet).

This might help for those more visually inclined (side view diagram of what I mean).

Last edited by tyorll; 02-11-2011 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #17
Choclove23
Infrequent Browser
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Pics pics pics...for all us kenaesthetic learners...

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #18
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Okay so basically the holes are matched right outside the margin of the pedal so that the washer holds it? Is there no way of securing it better? And lastly do you keep the rubber pedal cover on when doing this or take it off exposing the metal pedal?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #19
tyorll
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Okay so basically the holes are matched right outside the margin of the pedal so that the washer holds it? Is there no way of securing it better? And lastly do you keep the rubber pedal cover on when doing this or take it off exposing the metal pedal?
Take the stock rubber cover off exposing the metal pedal.

It's pretty secure. I cannot budge mine with the maximum amount of force I can apply with arms/feet in that cramped space. I initially thought the same, but after my practical testing I was convinced.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #20
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Reviving! Just installed my set the other day! Will be taking pics this weekend. By far this set is 100% worth the money and effort of install.

Couple words for those wanting to do the install... take the accelerator pedal hub off after you have pre-drilled holes and then screw on the new pedal cover. It was hard enough reaching behind it in such a small space. The bottom right screw gave me the most trouble as I didn't know how to detach the pedal from the boot.

AT brake pedal is drill work. Just drill through metal and screw in, easy. And dead-foot is the easiest just pre-drill small guide holes then screw in!

All in all difficulty is about a 6/10 considering the screws/nuts are small and frustrating!
The look of the pedals is a 10/10!

Special thanks to Tyorll for helping me with a detailed PM and pics!

I would advise some lock-tight and the screws before putting on washers and nuts so no vibrations loosen anything. Takes an extra minute when installing each screw.

I want to add that the customer service of the Ebay seller is great! I ordered a RHD set accidentally... and emailed him right after I had purchased. Responded within 10 minutes and confirmed that I needed a LHD AT set. Order was received 5 days after and correct! This is not some shitty seller on Ebay that bails on you after purchase

Last edited by Satalite; 03-07-2011 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #21
tyorll
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Glad to hear your own positive review Satalite. When you add your pictures I might update the OP and include yours so they aren't lost in the thread. My photos were pretty dodgy.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #22
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Okay I'll try to take good pics! Yah they look great btw thanks again for the tip for eBay seller. Great quality pedals for the price!