E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Should I remove the front plates or not?

07-01-2005, 10:30 AM   #23
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP/TiAg/Blk

Good info - thanks! One more question before I drill the holes... any thoughts on how to mount the front plate bracket after the 1/4" holes are drilled?

Just in case the nice officer changes my mind
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2005, 10:34 AM   #24
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
I kept looking for a plate on the front of mine, since mine came in the other day. I couldn't find any holes in the front bumber. Later I found a holder in the trunk under the bottom lid thingy, but still couldn't figure out how it attaches short of me drilling the thing. Then I found two little notches under the bumper that match the holder, and from there it included what look like self-tapping screws. I think I will keep the plate in the trunk and beg ignorance on how to install it if I get pulled over.
I am so jealous. I asked my dealer not to drill the holes, and they agreed not to, but since the car was traded down from another (Bay Area) dealer, the car arrived at my dealership with the front holes drilled. I removed the plate, but now I have ugly holes. Ugh!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2005, 10:47 AM   #25
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Civic Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399@mac.com
Does anyone know if you must have 2 plates in Texas?
Yes, you do.

I'm trying to find a list, which I know exists, of states that require front plates. It's about half and half, I believe. IMO, yes most cars have that 'clean' look without the front plate, but why even risk getting a ticket for it?

edit: Here we go, I found the list of states that require BOTH a front and rear license plate.

Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2005, 12:01 PM   #26
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399@mac.com
Does anyone know if you must have 2 plates in Texas?
Gee, I dunno . Maybe you could ask someone who lives in Texas... like YOU do.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2005, 01:36 AM   #27
agarbati
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, Saph Blk 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima
Good info - thanks! One more question before I drill the holes... any thoughts on how to mount the front plate bracket after the 1/4" holes are drilled?

Just in case the nice officer changes my mind
Thicker screws perhaps? I've kept my plate and screws so theoretically you could insert screw mounts into the 1/4" holes and just use the original screws to re-mount the plate holder and plate.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2005, 01:37 AM   #28
agarbati
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 330i
I am so jealous. I asked my dealer not to drill the holes, and they agreed not to, but since the car was traded down from another (Bay Area) dealer, the car arrived at my dealership with the front holes drilled. I removed the plate, but now I have ugly holes. Ugh!

www.bumperplugs.com !!!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2005, 01:05 PM   #29
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agarbati
.... theoretically you could insert screw mounts into the 1/4" holes and just use the original screws to re-mount the plate holder and plate.

Thanks for the followup. Yep, that's what I was thinking too. I'm wondering how easy it is to gain access to the back of the front 'bumper'. The bumper plugs chap has a nice product with v. fast delivery - but wow, what a little goldmine. LOL!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #30
agarbati
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the followup. Yep, that's what I was thinking too. I'm wondering how easy it is to gain access to the back of the front 'bumper'. The bumper plugs chap has a nice product with v. fast delivery - but wow, what a little goldmine. LOL!
My front plate holder was simply screwed in - there was no bracket on the backside so didn't need to access the back of the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2005, 05:36 PM   #31
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
How much are they? And all other costs (like shipping)? If it's a real high price point.... well maybe someone should open a factory in China and ....

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2005, 09:47 PM   #32
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agarbati
My front plate holder was simply screwed in - there was no bracket on the backside so didn't need to access the back of the bumper.
Right ... mine is the same way, self-taping screws. The bottom of the plate holder fits into slots underneath so there is only one mounting position - at least with the BMW plate holder.

I was thinking of a bolt through the plate holder held with a washer and nut on the back side of the bumper - if that location can be got at, it would be easy enough. Sorry for going on about this... I just want to have a back-up plan when I drill the holes for the plugs.

redstripe - you can check the bumperplugs.com site but i recall two plugs with shipping were somewhere around $35USD with $8-$9 of that being for shipping! But they arrived quickly and appear of top quality. Not sure there will be enough front plate renegades to make a China factory profitable ... but ya never know.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2005, 01:08 PM   #33
///M3KID
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2K5 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwocky
18x8F (ET50)
18x9.5R (ET55)
225/40F and 255/35R Yokohama ES100

Are you getting rid of the M3 or adding the S2k to your garage? It'd make an excellent compliment to the M3 :rocks:
Yeah bro, I'm adding it to my collection. Looks like i'm gonna grab your setup. Oh, what kind of suspension are you running?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2005, 02:24 PM   #34
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3KID
Yeah bro, I'm adding it to my collection. Looks like i'm gonna grab your setup. Oh, what kind of suspension are you running?
Awesome. M3 and S2k :rocks:

I had Bilstein PSS coilovers on the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 10:17 PM   #35
agarbati
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update and advice to whomever's planning on removing their front plates -

The plugs fit nicely but over the last week I noticed that one of them was not sitting flush with the bumper. Well I contacted the manufacturer and he said that they could be pulled out and reinserted. Well I tried their method, which is quite tedious by the way, and the entire paint on the plug just peeled right off. I contacted them and they were nice enough to send me new plugs free of charge.

The problem was that when the holes were drilled the edges of the hole were raised as can be expected when drilling plastic/rubber composite. The raised edges were not letting the plug sit flush. Since the plug has a tapered end I simple pushed the raised edges inwards towards the hole opening. Then inserted the new plug and the tapered edge simply pushed the edges inwards sort of folding them inwards. Result - the plug sits flush with the bumper and now looks factory fitted.

So if you drill your bumper for the plugs, either use a very high speed drill or make sure you push any raised edges inwards for a flush fit. I wouldn't try to remove the edges of the hole cause you may end up scratching the bumper or peeling off paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2005, 12:28 AM   #36
VIDoug
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport,THP, PP

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
TX Plate Law

TX law says yes front plate is required... but I drove my M3 for 3.5 years in the Metroplex area with no issues. During that period I was stopped by police for a couple of speeding tickets and a warning. No one said anything about the missing front plate
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2005, 08:11 AM   #37
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

I sent 5 emails and had it on my contract no front plate. I am keeping my fingers crossed. In a few days, I will see if they can follow directions.
Appreciate 0