BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
CharsadehBEAST
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Minivan

What other suspension mods should I consider?

Purchasing a 135i/N55 in about 2 weeks with the following suspension mods and would like suggestions on additional suspension related tweeks to help improve handling and steering feel.

⁃ TRW (M3) Front wishbones, tension rods, Rogue Engineering tension arm bushings
- M3 RSFB + diff bushings
⁃ TCKR Coilovers Single Adjustable
⁃ Vorschlag Camber plates
⁃ Swift Springs 350/600

Obviously, LSD would be choice but too early for me to drop that kind of $. I have been reading up on several past posts in this subforum on sway bars and the general consesus is to only put rear sway bars if upgrading diff but an upgraded one up front can improve handling up to a point (at 7/10th's or 8/10th's and can cause additional understeer at 10/10th's?). However, given the above mods, would a front sway bar improve handling/steering feel? If so, would the thicker Hotchkis kit be the better option or should I stick with the E92/E93 components. The price difference is negligible.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:01 PM   #2
BronkaidBrah
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharsadehBEAST View Post
⁃ TRW (M3) Front wishbones, tension rods, Rogue Engineering tension arm bushings
- M3 RSFB + diff bushings
⁃ TCKR Coilovers Single Adjustable
⁃ Vorschlag Camber plates
⁃ Swift Springs 350/600
This is almost exactly what I'm running right now minus the rsfb in which I'm using turner solid aluminum and the ride is fantastic . You're gonna need thrust sheets for the tcklines and I needed adjustable endlinks but some people claim they didn't need them. The real riding on rails feeling came from tires though so if your tires are dated get on that.Also heads up , I waited 3 months for my hotchkis bar since everybody and their mom is out of stock. dunno if they upped production since then but think about a 28mm bar if you don't want to wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #3
Emanyankee
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i e82

Damn I need to get this list lol. Picking my 1 next week. Bc coils any good? Found a deal on them possibly
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 02:36 AM   #4
CharsadehBEAST
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Minivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronkaidBrah View Post
This is almost exactly what I'm running right now minus the rsfb in which I'm using turner solid aluminum and the ride is fantastic . You're gonna need thrust sheets for the tcklines and I needed adjustable endlinks but some people claim they didn't need them. The real riding on rails feeling came from tires though so if your tires are dated get on that.Also heads up , I waited 3 months for my hotchkis bar since everybody and their mom is out of stock. dunno if they upped production since then but think about a 28mm bar if you don't want to wait.
I found a number of websites selling the Hotchkis only as a kit with the adjustable endlinks for $385-$400, interestingly they are $442 on Hotchkis' home site.

Did you install the thrust sheets the same time as the Hotchkis bar or was it after due to an issue that arose?
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2021, 06:09 AM   #5
BronkaidBrah
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharsadehBEAST View Post
I found a number of websites selling the Hotchkis only as a kit with the adjustable endlinks for $385-$400, interestingly they are $442 on Hotchkis' home site.

Did you install the thrust sheets the same time as the Hotchkis bar or was it after due to an issue that arose?
All of the sites are direct ship and claim in stock with a shipping time of 5 days but after you place an order you're hit with an updated timeframe of anywhere from 3 to 12 weeks. I even checked ecs and estimated ship time went from august 5th to September 16. Fastest way would be to order direct and pay the premium.

The thrust sheets I did before the swaybar but after the coilovers. Tcklines have an annoying noise caused by the spring binding on the perches. It makes the car feel broken without them.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 11:01 AM   #6
Driven5
Private
Rep
Drives: E88 128i Sport/6MT

You don't even have the car yet. What makes you think you think anything about it needs changing?

Steering response and handling do not necessarily go hand-in-hand. Your ideal steering response may have your less-than-ideal handling, and your ideal handling may have your less-than-ideal steering response. Not to mention that with suspensions, the 'ideal' setup is highly subjective and can differ significantly between drivers.

First determine what needs changing, then figure out the change(s) you can make that will have the desired effect. If you're not experienced enough to be able to identify what you want to change , your efforts will be better spent tightening the nut behind the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanyankee View Post
Bc coils any good?
No.
      07-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #7
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Besides the Rear subframe bushings, upgrading the rear arms really helps to control any unwanted jiggling in the rear.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2021, 03:08 PM   #8
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Rear guide rods. Spherical or bearing rear toe arms. Solid RSFBs

But really? Differential if you're still on the eLSD.
      08-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT+PS+PE / X3 M40i Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Besides the Rear subframe bushings, upgrading the rear arms really helps to control any unwanted jiggling in the rear.
Which rear arms would you use?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 11:58 AM   #10
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcarDefector View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Which rear arms would you use?
I went with the m3 (trw) kit as I didn't need the added adjustability with the other aftermarket ones, but I've heard there's a few of those that are pretty good too.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

The M3 front sway bar made a really nice difference in my own car. Unexpected bonus was it actually rides smoother when driving in a straight line. Guess that is due to the bushings which allow the bar to twist easier. The bushings are a large portion of the upgrade. They are significantly different.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 04:01 PM   #12
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
The M3 front sway bar made a really nice difference in my own car. Unexpected bonus was it actually rides smoother when driving in a straight line. Guess that is due to the bushings which allow the bar to twist easier. The bushings are a large portion of the upgrade. They are significantly different.
Yeah I loved the Teflon coated high durometer rubber bushings H&R sends, but nothing like that for a 26.5 bar that I've found. I'd go smaller with my sway bar if I could.