E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Terra or Terrible?

05-31-2005, 04:17 PM   #23
Flee67
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
I have seen this combo in real life. A 330 with that spec is standing just near by my home. I have studied it for like 10 minutes, and it looks just great!
Yeah....although I haven't actually seen a car with this combo, when I put it together in my mind (at the suggestion of someone either on this board or bimmerfest) I thought that it would look unbelievably sporty and classy.....hopefully someone will be able to post a picture soon....
      06-01-2005, 07:46 AM   #24
Bimmerguy
Rep
Drives: 20006 330i

Why is so much of the Terra interior NOT Terra

To me, the biggest flaw in the Terra interior is how much of it is another color. The Gray and beige leather interiors have seatbacks, lower door panels, and I think even the center console that match the main interior color. I'd be content if just the lower door panels and seatbacks were Terra, but the color contrast looks cheap to me. Maybe I'd feel differently if I saw one in person, but it looks as though there won't be lots of cars on dealer lots with that interior.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 08:45 AM   #25
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerguy
To me, the biggest flaw in the Terra interior is how much of it is another color. The Gray and beige leather interiors have seatbacks, lower door panels, and I think even the center console that match the main interior color. I'd be content if just the lower door panels and seatbacks were Terra, but the color contrast looks cheap to me. Maybe I'd feel differently if I saw one in person, but it looks as though there won't be lots of cars on dealer lots with that interior.
To me that´s one of the benefits of terra. I´ve had beige and grey interiors before and while keeping the light leather on the seats was work but possible, no matter what you did, other parts of the interior in light colours such as footwells, carpets, middle consolte etc. got really nasty and did not wear well. The two-tone with mostly black and only leather patches in terra should last very well over the years.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 03:29 PM   #26
Euro90
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosblau
I saw it with Electric Red and I almost crapped my pants it looked so good!

It definitely made me think twice about my TiSilver Black combo I ordered.

I do agree that it looks similar to an American Football.
That is what IM GETTING!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2005, 04:47 PM   #27
NuovoTech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1996 318ti

Talking

Quote:
That is what IM GETTING!!!!!!!!
I'm waiting for an E92 Coupe next year, but I plan on getting an elec red one. I'm hoping someone can post a foto here of elec red/terra!!!!!!!!
I would get alum trim for sure...

Euro90 - When do you get your E90?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #28
Dr.Sommer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RWD BMW with nat. asp. 6 cyl.

Here are some Pics of my new ride with silver/terra combination. I love it!

Titanium Silver / Dakota Terra

regards - Dr.Sommer
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #29
thx1138
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328 Coupe, '06 325, '05 X3

Dr. Sommer,

I fully enjoyed your photo gallery. It definitely sold me on the color combination.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2005, 01:57 PM   #30
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus330i
I sat in an Arctic 325 with grey leather and aluminum trim and I liked it a lot. I'm not a big grey fan but with the aluminum it was a very "happy" or "uplifting" color combo. I always go for black/alum inside but I think the lighter colors and the alum make the cabin brighter and therefore larger.
Hey Marcus,

That's exactly how I feel. That the lighter color interiors make the interior feel more airy and larger. This is not unique to the E90 but to all cars or even other objects. I preferred the feeling I got sitting in the gray interior to the black one even though aesthetically the black looks great with any of the three trims.

I am still waiting to see the Terra in person. I think it will look very good in combination with certain colors but like others have said, I'm not sure if I would tire of it or not.
      06-04-2005, 08:58 PM   #31
marcus330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6spd

Armen: I think the only interior color I don't like is beige...and you know I don't like getting wood (as a trim in cars I mean). The grey/alum combo was very cool. My car is built...I checked the wesite and the 800 number. Wheels up in 17 days!!!!!

Realtor Mobile: 6spd / Sport / Prem / Navi / ED 3-30-06
73 3.0s/84 528e/90 525i/97 M3 4dr/99 M3 Conv/2001 330i/2004 545i ED/2006 330i ED June 05
You're in control...is there anywhere you want to go ? -------------------------
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2005, 10:57 AM   #32
DHC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW E90 325i

Saw a TiAg 325 with terra/poplar interior. Very nice. Much better than the orangish-tinted pictures you see on the net. As others have said, you must see it in person prior to placing your order.

As an aside, the car mentioned above was my first choice. But, after talking with the better half, I changed to black/poplar. This put me back 2 weeks. If I'd stuck to my original order, I'd be driving my E90 right now! Oh well, I can wait 2 more weeks ...

No I can't!
      06-06-2005, 11:21 AM   #33
jbc
Rep
Drives: lexus gs 400

Dr. Sommer, thanks for the pictures of your beautiful car. Can you please post some more pictures showing the interior of the car/terra with the pictures being taken from the outside so as to contrast with the silver? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2005, 08:46 AM   #34
E90 Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Must have more Terra pics!!!

Help - desperately trying to decide between black and terra interiors. Any additional photos out there by those of you with Terra interior would be greatly appreciated....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #35
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

I was going to get terra, but I was "informed" in might negatively affect the resale value...hence i'm now going with lemon. I hope I can keep it clean...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #36
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 Enthusiast
Help - desperately trying to decide between black and terra interiors. Any additional photos out there by those of you with Terra interior would be greatly appreciated....
Please don´t let Fotos influence your decision on the terra. There are NO Fotos anywhere that do terra justice. It looks FAR better and completely different IRL. Please go through the trouble of finding a car with terra and see for yourself. The reward will be an easy decision toward terra and happiness with that decision for as long as you own the car. I did see it IRL after beeing very sceptic because of the pictures, I loved the way it looked IRL and I now have it on order with no hesitation about my choice anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #37
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
I was going to get terra, but I was "informed" in might negatively affect the resale value...hence i'm now going with lemon. I hope I can keep it clean...
I don´t think lemon will be better in resale since lemon starts looking scruffy very soon. If you manage to keep it clean, you´ll have spent the difference in resale to terra on cleaning products and personal time...
Terra should be a lot easier to keep clean.
But that aside, lemon looks fabolous as well so I´m sure you´ll enjoy your car just as much.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2005, 02:15 PM   #38
E90 Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
Please don´t let Fotos influence your decision on the terra. There are NO Fotos anywhere that do terra justice. It looks FAR better and completely different IRL. Please go through the trouble of finding a car with terra and see for yourself. The reward will be an easy decision toward terra and happiness with that decision for as long as you own the car. I did see it IRL after beeing very sceptic because of the pictures, I loved the way it looked IRL and I now have it on order with no hesitation about my choice anymore.

Tierfreund, wish my local dealer would get a 'terra' in so I could see IRL. What are your thoughts on the side airbag covers on the front seats? My thought was that the black was a little overdone here, although I love the two tone contrast everywhere else. Also, I know it's a point of debate on the forums, but you honestly think it doesn't look too orange, after seeing IRL?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2005, 03:22 PM   #39
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 Enthusiast
Tierfreund, wish my local dealer would get a 'terra' in so I could see IRL. What are your thoughts on the side airbag covers on the front seats? My thought was that the black was a little overdone here, although I love the two tone contrast everywhere else. Also, I know it's a point of debate on the forums, but you honestly think it doesn't look too orange, after seeing IRL?
Drive around to see it if you have to. I drove 400miles to see it (O.K. to be honest, i had a business appointment only 6 miles away from one of only 3 dealers in Germany that had a terra car in the showroom, talk of getting lucky )

The airbag covers in black are not very nice. My guess is that they´re not intentionally black but because it was to difficult to get the colour of the plastic to match that chamelion of all colours: terra.
But then, they´re not very prominent.

IRL terra is looks dramatically different depending on the light.
In artifical light it looks really dark brown. Think cadburry chocolate. Really nice.
In bright daylight it gets brighter and redder. Think a baseball glove. Silghtly reddish too. A bit burgundy with chocolate. Really hard to describe. But never any as orange as it is in most pictures. The pictures really are decieving. I really don´t know why, but terra seems unfotographable (though when my car is delivered I´ll take my old Canon AE-1 and try some good old fashioned chemical Photography and a professional scanning on the negatives. I´ll do my best to capture the real look of it). I think terra beeing so hard to photograph is the real reason so few cars with it are around. Try selling it without a decent picture. Lemon on the other hand looks great in pictures. Maybe even a bit better than IRL, so it´s selling well except for the fear of it becoming scruffy soon.

One more thing about terra: On a dark car burl is the perfect match. It pics up terras colour very well, only even darker and more glossy. Excellent. On a bright car (white or silver) Aluminium would work well too. Poplar doesn´t work with terra. It "bites"
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #40
E90 Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
One more thing about terra: On a dark car burl is the perfect match. It pics up terras colour very well, only even darker and more glossy. Excellent. On a bright car (white or silver) Aluminium would work well too. Poplar doesn´t work with terra. It "bites"
My thoughts exactly. There was a photo circulating of terra/poplar and it clashed mightily. The burl seems dark enough to pull it off. Thanks for your insights!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2005, 08:32 PM   #41
wish1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus sc400

Having lived with terra for a week now, I do like it very much but I must agree with mfstout that the color changes a lot depending on light. I really like the contrast with the black (which is actually dark grey) carpets and trim (true black). The poplar however is not as blonde as I thought it would be and in some light (dark, overcast, rainy days) the wood tones don't compliment the terra interior so well. Most of the time though the combination looks great.
Attached Images

07-14-2005, 09:19 PM   #42
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

I ordered without seeing it in person and almost switched to black because I did not like the color in some pictures posted here, but I am extremely glad I stuck with the terra. It truely is something that needs to be experienced in person. Here's a couple shots from my car, the color is pretty close in the pictures, but is still not quite right.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2005, 09:50 PM   #43
Thomas
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e Touring

Garage List
The terra looks so good with the alu trim! I just love it! The poplar trim/terra leather doesn't do it for me.. It's nice, but alu is so much cooler!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2005, 09:51 PM   #44
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR3, again...

When I first saw Terra online at BMWUSA, I was intrigued because of how unique it looked.

When I went to check out the 5 series, but there was a e90 on the floor with the Terra interior. I sat in it, looked at my wife and said that I was sorry, but this was the car.

Terra is such a unique color and I can only hope it wears the way I think it will.

I've got Terra in my Black, but I think the Terra in white is an unbeatable combination, also think it would be great in SG.

Here's my closest image to the actual color;