BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #23
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Hi there Tim
All the dyno testing work is done with the bonnet down, the cover that we are making is to make this set up more copper friendly and use another cold air inlet system through the inner guard as well as the factory inlet
I'll pull my head in now
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #24
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Yes

I have had this afe intake setup for about 2-3 months now and it appears to function fine. Of course, it does make the car sound like a lear jet but thats not such a problem.

What is a problem, or at least what I see as a problem, is the metal tray that the filter cones sit upon. It gets so very hot!!!! And even on cold nights, the tray will just radiate heat. I also dont have a meth system yet to offset this heat so I cant see the value of this intake with the matel tray as IAT must be like its a 40oC day. I was thinking, when I get home I might just remove the tray altogether but I am unsure if this will expose greater heat or less heat to the cones.

Would having the tray coated in some heat reducing coating be better, obviously the cheap option would be to bin the tray?

Anyone else got on of these intakes?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #25
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Yeh I got one, TBH I've never thought about touching the metal tray. why didn't you post this yesterday when I was at the track and I could have had a feel around. What about some of that heat reflective exhause stuff, could stick that to the underside of the tray?? I'm still looking for a CF VENTED bonnet so at least the hot air can get out.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #26
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep

Anything that requires being stuck on would most likely melt or cease to stick after a while. Believe me, it gets very hot.

I guess the the 1st cone is ok as it gets the direct air from the snorkel on it, whereas the 2nd cone gets the residual air around the tray. If you have meth it might not be such an issue, but getting the coldest air you can cant hurt.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #27
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post
I have had this afe intake setup for about 2-3 months now and it appears to function fine. Of course, it does make the car sound like a lear jet but thats not such a problem.

What is a problem, or at least what I see as a problem, is the metal tray that the filter cones sit upon. It gets so very hot!!!! And even on cold nights, the tray will just radiate heat. I also dont have a meth system yet to offset this heat so I cant see the value of this intake with the matel tray as IAT must be like its a 40oC day. I was thinking, when I get home I might just remove the tray altogether but I am unsure if this will expose greater heat or less heat to the cones.

Would having the tray coated in some heat reducing coating be better, obviously the cheap option would be to bin the tray?

Anyone else got on of these intakes?
I have the AFE sealed CAI, and the housing is made from a hard plastic resin, which only gets warm...

Maybe that's why AFE has gone this way to reduce heat absorption in the filter box housing...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #28
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep

I wish they had gone the plastic route with this exposed DCI version too.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #29
TWD
Australia
Rep
Drives: All sorts of Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
I have the AFE sealed CAI, and the housing is made from a hard plastic resin, which only gets warm...

Maybe that's why AFE has gone this way to reduce heat absorption in the filter box housing...
"Duz it dose cuz?"
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 01:49 AM   #30
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post
"Duz it dose cuz?"
Have you been sniffing those car care products again Raj ??

What are you talking about cuz..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:18 AM   #31
TWD
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Have you been sniffing those car care products again Raj ??

What are you talking about cuz..
duz it go Zuzutututututu cuz? block the BOVs brah.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #32
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Hahhaaaa... No no.. The AFE is more refined and not designed for cruising the streets of Bankstown..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:34 AM   #33
TWD
Australia
Rep

Haha just messing with you mate. Yeah it is a clean and does compliment your exhaust very well too. Sounds throaty.
Appreciate 0