BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

BMS DCI's and OCC installed, what a PITA!

I guess I'm realizing as I get older, its sometimes better to pay to have things done. Had the dual cone intake and oil catch can sitting in the garage and decided, what the heck, the directions look easy enough. First off, the connections that BMW uses on the PCV hoses are a real pain. It probably took me 15-20 minutes to get the stock hoses off. Second up, the hose BMS supplies that is curved to go on the OEM valve in the car does not go willingly. I heated it with a heat gun, no go. Rubbed a little spit in there, no go. Finally, ran my finger around the inside of the hose with some motor oil on it. After much grunting (swearing) and sore hands, I got it on to a point that I feel is "far enough". It doesn't seem to want to come off, so I guess its on. The rest of the install is relatively easy.

Next up, the DCI's. Forward filter is simple as pie to install. The rear one you are fighting the wiring loom to get it in there. After making sure it was in far enough I got it good and tight, fine. Well, now the wiring is in a position that I don't think the cowl will go back on the car. Had to fight with that thing a bit. It seems that filter closest to the firewall really pushes on those wires, pretty snug back in there. Finally managed to finagle it all back on, but the cowl was reluctant.

The good news is after buttoning it all back up I took it for a drive and no SES lights. As far as power, I don't notice much difference, nor do they sound much different. I imagine when I get my FMIC and DP's installed (if they ever ship them out to me) the filters will make more of a difference.

FWIW, if BMS says any part of the install may be "difficult" or tricky they aren't kidding.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

The rear filter is a complete PITA, I just run without the cowl (leave hvac filter on) and ziptie the cable lines down, it makes working in the engine bay 10X easier. Terry's been running it like that since day 1 with no issues, and the cowl is just a big heavy piece of sound-deadening plastic so far is I can tell. Not to mention the DCI sounds awesome without the cowl, though that's a matter of preference. Stock box to DCI is a 15 minute deal now, but the first time I did it I left the cowl on, took me about an hour to seat the rear filter. That was MISERABLE lol.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
135IS
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 LMB 135I / AW 1M

Garage List
2009 135i  [7.00]
LOL never heard of someone having so much difficulty with dual cones. oil catch can just sounds like a pain but ive never installed one. the DCI are really meant for sound. IF you want power you should go with a tune and if its not enough from there you can always get more mods
AW 1M: Current #211 of 220
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I didn't think the DCIs were that bad but the OCC was the most annoyingly stupidly difficult DIY I've ever done. The hoses are annoying, the space is so tight back there and nothing wants to fit, the engine cover does NOT want to stay on after installing it, and a million other things. All of that effort, and my OCC has trapped maybe 30 mL (being generous.. seriously just a few drops) of oil in the 6 months it's been on. What a waste.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135IS View Post
LOL never heard of someone having so much difficulty with dual cones. oil catch can just sounds like a pain but ive never installed one. the DCI are really meant for sound. IF you want power you should go with a tune and if its not enough from there you can always get more mods
I have a COBB AP. The catless DP's and new charge pipe/BOV on the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
I didn't think the DCIs were that bad but the OCC was the most annoyingly stupidly difficult DIY I've ever done. The hoses are annoying, the space is so tight back there and nothing wants to fit, the engine cover does NOT want to stay on after installing it, and a million other things. All of that effort, and my OCC has trapped maybe 30 mL (being generous.. seriously just a few drops) of oil in the 6 months it's been on. What a waste.
Yeah, that was a bitch. I'm pretty tall and its still a pain to lean all the way back to get at that thing. The hoses were infuriating. I hope the neighbors couldn't hear me screaming obscenities in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
alpha84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e88

In my experience, it took me a while to take off the stock airbox and the clamps on the intake pipes. The hose clamp on the stock piping for the OCC was hard to get off too. Nothing major with the rest of the installations. The BMS DCI rubbed against the engine and damaged the filter, so i switched to a smaller filter. So far i havent have any problems with the filter at all and they sound the same.

The OCC hoses are now tucked in nicely. I have no issues with the engine cover. If you want to check the catch can you will need to take off the hvac filter and cowl to get to it, just make sure you dont overtighten the catch can.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
alpha84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e88

Quote:

Yeah mine doesnt have much oil in the can after 6 months, but i guess it's working as intended.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
I did the OCC install. The stock hoses are a pain in the ass. The clips do not want to unhook and they can break easily. Like you, the hoses had to be muscled on. My hoses were actually a bit too short, so I went to an automotive shop and got new one.

after 3k miles my OCC had zero oil in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

The thing is most diys appear to be very easy and straightforward. The fact of the matter is, if you haven't done it before, expect the worst. I have to agree the stock hoses were a pain to remove for the BMS OCC install. And after more than 6 months, all I've collected is a thin film of oil on the inside. Maybe I need to push it more to collect oil at least that's oil that's not contaminating anything else though.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
5teN
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Have you guys that have done the OCC install inspected the back of your valves to see if it made an improvement? Is there just not that much oil going through, or is the OCC not catching it?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

If you trim a little bit of plastic off the back of the engine cover you'll have more room for the occ lines. maybe not for everybody, but if you take your time you can trim it nice and neat so that its hard to tell its been modified. If you can't fit the dci filters, well, you haven't spent enough time under the hood. Its about the easiest "mod" you can do.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
If you trim a little bit of plastic off the back of the engine cover you'll have more room for the occ lines. maybe not for everybody, but if you take your time you can trim it nice and neat so that its hard to tell its been modified. If you can't fit the dci filters, well, you haven't spent enough time under the hood. Its about the easiest "mod" you can do.
I did trim the engine cover per BMS suggestion on their site. Simple to do and you'll never see that it's cut once the cover is back on the engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I did the OCC install. The stock hoses are a pain in the ass. The clips do not want to unhook and they can break easily. Like you, the hoses had to be muscled on. My hoses were actually a bit too short, so I went to an automotive shop and got new one.

after 3k miles my OCC had zero oil in it.
Quote:
Thanks to you two, among others, for more than convincing me that the OCC is a waste of time and money.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:34 AM   #14
SteveAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i Cab

"BMS DCI's and OCC installed, what a PITA!"

"The catless DP's and new charge pipe/BOV on the way."

Hahaha, can't wait to here about your adventures with the DP install.
2013 F10--JB4/BM3
2015 F82--Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP & PI--PS2 Turbos-- JB4/BM3-FBO
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #15
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
"BMS DCI's and OCC installed, what a PITA!"

"The catless DP's and new charge pipe/BOV on the way."

Hahaha, can't wait to here about your adventures with the DP install.
Thats what a shop is for!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 03:35 AM   #16
SteveAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
Thats what a shop is for!
Dang, was looking forward to sequel in the Tee-Dub drama series as I'm sure your neighbors were too.
2013 F10--JB4/BM3
2015 F82--Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP & PI--PS2 Turbos-- JB4/BM3-FBO
Appreciate 0