BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
STILL DOING IT HELP!!!! Car is SHAKING like its in a earthquake...WTF??

My car had to be towed again because of some kind of malfunction. I would start the car and after I start it it would SHAKE a lot like you were in a old school muscle car. I told the dealership about it about a month ago and they "ran tests on the car" they said nothing was wrong. So on the 7th late at night I was going to head out to a bar. I start it up and my girlfriend was in the car with me and it starts shaking (It feels worse than before) I put it in reverse and start to back up and it got worse also the service required light came on.. My GF was scared to even ride in it, it was like being in an earthquake.. I took my Moms IS 250 (which alway works) out that night and called in the morning. BMW roadside told me they would send out a tow truck out and not to start the car. My dealership told me saturday if they knew anything they would call me with an update.. that call never happened..

What is going on with my car????

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by NewYearsBoy; 10-26-2011 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
sounds like a misfire of some sort which shuts down the cylinder.. could be plugs, injectors, coil pack, fuel pump...

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
HPFP may be causing cold start shudders?
My 2c.
Is it auto or manual? Did the car rapidly change RPMs before starting properly?
Any mods?
Did the shaking eventually stop? Did applying any throttle pressure help(in neutral of course)?
Is the CEL light still on? My dealership wont do anything unless the OBC has an indicator of a malfunction. Ask them to keep the car overnight and start it in the morning. If they can replicate a cold start shudder, then you may be able to get it fixed (that would most likely be the HPFP/injectors in that situation).

How many HPFPs have you been through and how long have you had the car?

Gluck,
-NurEinser
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Oh and after that 1st "earthquake" did the car eventually run properly?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

Sounds familiar. I'm pretty sure there was a thread not long ago by an owner who would get violent shudders when he backed out of his driveway and the CEL would come on. Couldn't reproduce the problem for the dealer so they didn't believe him at first.

I looked for the thread but I couldn't spot it. Maybe someone else will remember. I believe the resolution was that the dealer eventually figured it out.
      10-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurEinser View Post
HPFP may be causing cold start shudders?
My 2c.
Is it auto or manual? Did the car rapidly change RPMs before starting properly?
Any mods?
Did the shaking eventually stop? Did applying any throttle pressure help(in neutral of course)?
Is the CEL light still on? My dealership wont do anything unless the OBC has an indicator of a malfunction. Ask them to keep the car overnight and start it in the morning. If they can replicate a cold start shudder, then you may be able to get it fixed (that would most likely be the HPFP/injectors in that situation).

How many HPFPs have you been through and how long have you had the car?

Gluck,
-NurEinser
The first time yes it stopped.. I did not try to rev it in neutral.
A service light came on not sure what color or what else popped up.. Just wanted to shut it off..
My HPFP went at 12k miles the car has 29K miles now.. I bought the car brand new and I have had 1 HPFP replaced.. Not sure how long ago the car is a 2010... a year and 3 or 4 months old..
BMW has my car as of Saturday morning.

Quote:
Oh and after that 1st "earthquake" did the car eventually run properly?
Haha.. Sort of.. Kind of sluggish. But it became more normal as I drove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss View Post
Sounds familiar. I'm pretty sure there was a thread not long ago by an owner who would get violent shudders when he backed out of his driveway and the CEL would come on. Couldn't reproduce the problem for the dealer so they didn't believe him at first.

I looked for the thread but I couldn't spot it. Maybe someone else will remember. I believe the resolution was that the dealer eventually figured it out.
The Tow truck guy saw my car and was like what the hell it looks brand new my GF told him it kind of was.. When he started it to put it on the tow truck he said WTF.. I talked to him on the phone and he said he has never felt that with a car before..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
-"Haha.. Sort of.. Kind of sluggish. But it became more normal as I drove."
This sounds like a first symptom of a HPFP.

The reason I suggested revving it in neutral is because when I back out of my driveway, the car needs more throttle than I am used to.

Did the half engine light ever come on? When you drove off did the CEL/MIL ever go away?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
-"Haha.. Sort of.. Kind of sluggish. But it became more normal as I drove."
This sounds like a first symptom of a HPFP.

The reason I suggested revving it in neutral is because when I back out of my driveway, the car needs more throttle than I am used to.

Did the half engine light ever come on? When you drove off did the CEL/MIL ever go away?
No half engine light (I have seen that before) not sure what the other things are u talking about

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Oh I meant when warming up, my car requires more throttle to drive smoothly but I drive a manual.

I would say dont worry too much about it. Most likely you will get a new HPFP and possibly a few new injectors.
Does it happen every cold start?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh I meant when warming up, my car requires more throttle to drive smoothly but I drive a manual.

I would say dont worry too much about it. Most likely you will get a new HPFP and possibly a few new injectors.
Does it happen every cold start?
It started about a 2 months ago.. But warm and cold starts.. I cant keep sending this car to get fixed. I have been thinking about selling it lately.. cus im only 20k miles from 50k miles and good by warranty..

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just found out today that it was the injectors... Seriously what else can go wron with this car..... The BMW service guy said that there was a recall on the injectors??? Did anyone hear about this?

Also could this happen again??? I have 29k miles so in another 20k im out of warrenty. So I asked the Service guy how much it would be if I was out of warrenty and they said $790..

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
sounds like a misfire of some sort which shuts down the cylinder.. could be plugs, injectors, coil pack, fuel pump...
CORRECT...

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Little offtopic but does anyone here know if the injectors are covered by the same extended warranty that the HPFP is?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #14
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Little offtopic but does anyone here know if the injectors are covered by the same extended warranty that the HPFP is?
I asked and they said NO..

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Good to know, thats kind of bs in my opinion because they seem to fail together and exude the same symptoms.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #16
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good to know, thats kind of bs in my opinion because they seem to fail together and exude the same symptoms.
Thats what I said.. Im sick of this Im looking at used M3s/ ISFs this weekend.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #17
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

I didn't read any posts other than OP's, but what fuel are you using?

This had happened to me twice ever when I had my 135i. I think it happened when the car was under 10,000 miles.

I stopped the car and turned it back on and went smooth as if it never happened.

I didn't change my HPFP until I had service done on the car around 35,000 miles. It gave me no problems ever.
      10-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Actually, they don't happen together, and they feel very different when they fail.

A faulty injector, plug, or coil can and most often does result in shaking, because at least one cylinder is not firing, thus throwing the engine off balance.

An HPFP failure often has no symptoms, or will go into a lower power limp mode, that doesn't result in shaking.

Some people have had long crank on startup, and many attribute this to a failing HPFP. However, many of us, me included, have had the long crank issue with no failed HPFP.

A failed injector can happen in any car. Once the injector is replaced it's not likely that it will happen again. There hasn't been nearly the same level of failure with injectors as there is with the HPFP, so BMW has no reason to extend the warranty past what they give us.
Some people are just overly concerned and upset about everything in their BMW as a result of the HPFP issue.
The concern about the HPFP is warranted, and BMW has extended the warranty on that part, and they've had a recall to replace original HPFP's with a redesigned part. Since then there has been a marked decline in the number of HPFP failures. So far so good.
If someone can't stand the thought of potential future problems with their BMW, then they should sell it.
Be advised though, other than the HPFP issue, BMW uses the same engines and parts throughout their line of cars.
So, you may want to stay away from BMW altogether.

Me, I love my BMW's and accept that mechanical failures can and do happen in every brand of automobile.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #19
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonX View Post
I didn't read any posts other than OP's, but what fuel are you using?

This had happened to me twice ever when I had my 135i. I think it happened when the car was under 10,000 miles.

I stopped the car and turned it back on and went smooth as if it never happened.

I didn't change my HPFP until I had service done on the car around 35,000 miles. It gave me no problems ever.
Premium Every-time...

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #20
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Actually, they don't happen together, and they feel very different when they fail.

A faulty injector, plug, or coil can and most often does result in shaking, because at least one cylinder is not firing, thus throwing the engine off balance.

An HPFP failure often has no symptoms, or will go into a lower power limp mode, that doesn't result in shaking.

Some people have had long crank on startup, and many attribute this to a failing HPFP. However, many of us, me included, have had the long crank issue with no failed HPFP.

A failed injector can happen in any car. Once the injector is replaced it's not likely that it will happen again. There hasn't been nearly the same level of failure with injectors as there is with the HPFP, so BMW has no reason to extend the warranty past what they give us.
Some people are just overly concerned and upset about everything in their BMW as a result of the HPFP issue.
The concern about the HPFP is warranted, and BMW has extended the warranty on that part, and they've had a recall to replace original HPFP's with a redesigned part. Since then there has been a marked decline in the number of HPFP failures. So far so good.
If someone can't stand the thought of potential future problems with their BMW, then they should sell it.
Be advised though, other than the HPFP issue, BMW uses the same engines and parts throughout their line of cars.

Me, I love my BMW's and accept that mechanical failures can and do happen in every brand of automobile.
Sorry but Im missing Class and work ( I could lose my job!) wasting time at the dealership/ fighting with BMW about what should be done.. I could be studying too.. The night it happened I had to call a bunch of people because I was supposed to meet them at a bar at 10 but I was late.. Some of them have Kias and old hondas.. But my Brand NEW BMW can't make it out??? WTF ur Brain washed...

Thanks for the info though...

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #21
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
When my car went in for service for long cranks. The dealer told me that the HPFP had failed as had two injectors. No Other symptoms other than the obc recognizing a failure.
Just saying from my experience that I had 2 injectors fail with my HPFP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #22
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Oh and forgot to mention, no shaking on my car when the HPFP and the two injectors failed
Appreciate 0