BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Kriegerfaust
Rep
Drives: 2002 Mustang GT

Advice on purchasing used non-CPO

Hey all,

I've been looking into purchasing a used 2008-2009 135i but I'm still unsure as to whether I can afford the maintenance on one. I'm in Canada, so my CPO options are pretty slim seeing as how I'm trying to find a 6-speed.

Now, if I buy one used non-CPO with around 38000 miles on it, how much of a nightmare is it going to be to maintain? Obviously if I go this route I'm going to do a thorough check on the maintenance history, have an inspection done, etc. I would never buy a car like this unless absolutely everything comes back sparkling clean.

I guess my question is, how much money can I expect to pay per year on maintenance without a CPO warranty? I plan to do regular preventative stuff myself (oil changes, brake pads, spark plugs, etc).

I'm pretty nervous about taking the plunge because I've only owned one car which has been pretty much bulletproof so far on maintenance (the only thing I've ever had go wrong in 6 years of ownership is an alternator). I don't want to take on car payments and increased insurance rates and then all of a sudden find that I have to shell out a small fortune every year keeping the damn thing on the road.

Thanks for your feedback in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Maranello455
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 09'M-3,99'M3,02'M-3,88'M6,74'T

No sweat. Just get one (09'-10') with very low miles and purchase an extended warranty from BMW. Gold level which covers almost everything, for three years is like $2,400.00 which its not a bad deal,plus you can choose between different levels of extended warranties if you like less or more extended warranty. I got mine a 2009 135i with only 12K miles and its solid, have only done the recalls,like the HPFP,injectors, ect all free of charge. If you buy a car with low miles that has been taken good care of by the previous owner,you should have no problem. I am now considering the extended warranty as mine is over in a couple of months,but till now car has been super.

Last edited by Maranello455; 03-12-2013 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
SAM135iAM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i DCT

My advice is, if you have to ask if you can afford the maintenance then you can't afford it. Either buy one with warranty, or buy a Japanese vehicle.

Here is a link for a bit of info that might help you.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2009/..._of_ownership/
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Tend to agree with SAM. You have no warranty and 3rd party are not reliable. These twin turbos are risky. However get a good inspection and go from there. Car should be bought from a private individual who can show you complete maintenance history NOT Joe's corner used car lot. 128/328's are much less risky.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Kriegerfaust
Rep

Okay, well according to that Motor Trend article can expect $1000 per year for repairs which really isn't that bad. I'm pretty good at saving my money, so I can easily count on having ~$7500 in the bank account at any given time in case of emergency. I just wanted to know what the chances were of having an emergency repair happen, but I guess that it really depends on the car.

Unfortunately, I have resorted to looking at 135i's at used dealerships because it's so hard to find one with a manual transmission in my area. If I have the whole BMW maintenance history and a good inspection done, plus an extensive test drive, does it REALLY matter where I buy the car from? Obviously CPO would be the exception.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriegerfaust View Post
Okay, well according to that Motor Trend article can expect $1000 per year for repairs which really isn't that bad. I'm pretty good at saving my money, so I can easily count on having ~$7500 in the bank account at any given time in case of emergency. I just wanted to know what the chances were of having an emergency repair happen, but I guess that it really depends on the car.

Unfortunately, I have resorted to looking at 135i's at used dealerships because it's so hard to find one with a manual transmission in my area. If I have the whole BMW maintenance history and a good inspection done, plus an extensive test drive, does it REALLY matter where I buy the car from? Obviously CPO would be the exception.
I am not sure if the extended warranties on HPFP and Wategates extend up to America's hat or not, but those are usually the most expensive things to just "go" on the car. I have heard very few if no complaints of blown up engines or transmissions, so most of the maintenance costs end up being worn out "wear" parts that arent usually covered under CPO warranties in the first place. Bushings, brake rotors, tires, bearings, etc usually arent covered, so youre looking more at catastrophic problems with the car only in a CPO.

Injectors seem to be the most costly of a un-planned maintenece at about 1K/6 injectors. Other than that, regular oil changes and keeping an eye on other fluids will be the brunt of the work.
      03-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Kriegerfaust
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
I am not sure if the extended warranties on HPFP and Wategates extend up to America's hat or not, but those are usually the most expensive things to just "go" on the car. I have heard very few if no complaints of blown up engines or transmissions, so most of the maintenance costs end up being worn out "wear" parts that arent usually covered under CPO warranties in the first place. Bushings, brake rotors, tires, bearings, etc usually arent covered, so youre looking more at catastrophic problems with the car only in a CPO.

Injectors seem to be the most costly of a un-planned maintenece at about 1K/6 injectors. Other than that, regular oil changes and keeping an eye on other fluids will be the brunt of the work.
Okay, that is good to know. I'm fine with the costs on regular maintenance, seeing as how I already use synthetic oil and do changes myself on my current car. I'm pretty sure the HPFP and Wastegate warranties are the same as they are in Canada's pants (in fact the HPFP has already been replaced on the car I'm looking at). And really, if something catastrophic happens on any car it's going to cost you, regardless of the make or model.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

I only buy CPO, because i cannot afford to replace an engine if it goes. $10K or a trans $8K etc. you get the point.