BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Good news for NA diesel fans..

well, good, not GREAT. i'm personally very much looking forward to something along the lines of a 123d or a new TTI4 powerplant in a 1er. although no new news about the latter...

full text here:
http://content.bmwusa.com/microsite/...ced_diesel.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwusa.com
the BMW Group will debut two vehicle models equipped with the BMW Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance at the 2008 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit – the X5 xDrive35d and the 335d.
Maximum power, supreme efficiency: The first BMW Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance is particularly well-suited to combine the driving dynamics and motoring refinement of a premium automobile with the most current and
demanding standards for preserving resources and reducing emissions. Featuring exceptional power and torque, the 3.0 liter inline-six diesel is one of the most fuel-efficient and economical engines in its class. Applying Variable Twin Turbo Technology, a small turbocharger first cuts in at low engine speeds. Thanks to its low inertia, this turbocharger develops boost (and extra power) in response to even the smallest movement to the gas pedal and without the slightest delay. As engine speed increases, the second, larger turbocharger cuts in, developing maximum torque of 425 lb-ft at just 1,750 rpm. Interaction of the two turbochargers is controlled by the particularly efficient, high-performance electronic engine control unit. In addition to the above Variable Twin Turbo Technology, new technical highlights of BMW Advanced Diesel – presented for the first time in 2007 – include an aluminum crankcase and third-generation common-rail direct fuel injection. Featuring precision-quality precise piezo-injectors to deliver the precise dosage of fuel into the combustion chambers with the smallest volume of pre-injection, the third generation system ensures a particularly clean injection process with optimized fuel consumption, emissions figures and running smoothness. Given all of these qualities, BMW’s 3.0-liter diesel with Variable Twin Turbo has won the prestigious International Engine of the Year Award multiple times – more than any other prize or acknowledgement. The engine is featured in a large number of models in Europe and is now expanding its global story of success as the BMW Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance.
Despite these impressive facts and figures, BMW is continuing to upgrade the diesel engine to an even higher standard, and BMW Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance marks the next stage of development. This innovative
technology now also fulfills US market demands in terms of power, performance, running smoothness, efficiency and emission limits. Both the 335d and the X5 xDrive35d will be launched in all 50 US states in the fall of 2008. Pricing will be announced closer to launch time.
as expected they are starting at the bigger end with the X5, although surprisingly along with the 335d - which is hopefully an indicator of them trying to push the performance capabilities/characteristics of these diesels; and thus hopefully ending up with a US 123d..

EDIT: SCOTT26 - any input?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Sorry , but this is the press release for January 2008.

As of now BMW Diesel in the US Market is currently an experiment .
The only models initially available with diesel are the BMW 335d sedan and the X5 Xdrive3.5d respectively.

We have covered the issue of diesel 1er before and it is simply down to economics.(especially now) possible projected sales do not reach the expectation of overall sales required.
The 1er diesel Coupe works in european market because it is perceived as a sporty car and diesel has much better acceptance than the US Market. On the issue of releasing a 135d ? The idea of a 135d for the US Market has never been brought to the table or discussed seriously.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Scott, what's the weight difference between the 335d diesel engine and the N54?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Thanks for the input Scott26. Were all still holding out for that //M equivalent of the 1series...well maybe just me.
      09-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

With the Euro 6 emissions standard that is projected for 2013/2014 still in the air, there is a big disincentive for any European company to do any diesel development specifically for the US market. The Euro 6 standard may end up being very close to the Tier 2 Bin 5 standard. There might actually be a point around 2014 or so, where the Japan standards, the US standards, and the Euro standards may all be close enough that car companies might be able to build engines to a single emissions standard.

If I were in charge of a car company, I would try to maximize my emissions R&D money to hit that target, instead of trying to develop engines for each market. I'm sure emissions is only a part of BMW's decision not to send the 123d here, but WE have the power to co-operate with Europe and Japan (and Australia) to set a common first-world emissions standard. That would go a long ways to getting cars like the 123d into the US.

IF companies like BMW could automatically certify all of their engine/drivetrain combinations for US emissions, just by passing an identical Euro standard set of tests, the US would get a lot more great cars from Europe.

The Big 2.5 US car manufacturers hate that idea...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Sorry , but this is the press release for January 2008.

As of now BMW Diesel in the US Market is currently an experiment .
The only models initially available with diesel are the BMW 335d sedan and the X5 Xdrive3.5d respectively.
indeed. sorry, didn't notice the date. probably because i hadn't heard a single thing verifying release of any diesel to the US market until this today. i was still under the impression that it was essentially out of the question. i suppose the world green car has received increased publicity of late? or is being emphasized by bmw more since we are approaching release of these diesel models.. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
The Euro 6 standard may end up being very close to the Tier 2 Bin 5 standard. There might actually be a point around 2014 or so, where the Japan standards, the US standards, and the Euro standards may all be close enough that car companies might be able to build engines to a single emissions standard.

If I were in charge of a car company, I would try to maximize my emissions R&D money to hit that target, instead of trying to develop engines for each market.
i would imagine a cooperative international effort to create a single emissions (or what would be even better, imo, consumption) standard would be a huge step further than those nations imposing "coincidentally" similar regulations.. although i guess if they are close enough it doesnt matter from a manufacturer perspective. regardless, here's to hoping.. :drinking:
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 02:59 AM   #7
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

LOL - not being a North American, and being on a car forum, when I read "NA" I assumed "normally aspirated" - I was trying to work out what could be good news for non-turbo charged diesel fans ;-)
      10-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #8
Endre
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 3.2 (321hp)

Garage List
2008 E82 120d  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post
LOL - not being a North American, and being on a car forum, when I read "NA" I assumed "normally aspirated" - I was trying to work out what could be good news for non-turbo charged diesel fans ;-)
Same here. Thougt someone was thinking when it says D and not TD it was NA. But no one produces NA diesels anymore as i know of..
120d, M-sport, H&R springs,Remus Exhaust, 135I kidneys, 18"BMW performance with Toyo T1R.(summer) 17" style 207 with Michelin Xice(winter), 17" M3 replica with Toyo R888 (Track), Hardwired H/K GPS 810. SOLD! Now driving E36 M3 3.2 (321Hp)
Track and Autox
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #9
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Aside from emissions, the mileage will have to be excellent. Unlike most industrialized countries, the US doesn't tax gasoline that much so diesel remains much more expensive. To get US consumers into diesels the savings will have to be very significant, because diesel is also not as convenient as gas in the US.
      10-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Aside from emissions, the mileage will have to be excellent. Unlike most industrialized countries, the US doesn't tax gasoline that much so diesel remains much more expensive. To get US consumers into diesels the savings will have to be very significant, because diesel is also not as convenient as gas in the US.
But the experiment that BMW is running here in the US does not emphasize fuel economy at all. They brought the biggest Diesel guns to bear so that Diesel becomes associated with performance instead.

It will be a long time (or never, who knows) before they will want to bring in the truly fuel efficient engines.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0